Chapter Four

SYDNEY

Hopping out of her old dark green Jeep, she pushed the driver door shut and walked over the dampened asphalt to the school's front doors which snapped open and closed with groups of students flowing into the building.

The heel of her converse thudded against the road then changed tone as she sprang up onto the sidewalk and jogged up the three steps to open up the school door.

"Let me get that for you." A deep and calming voice said.

Then she turned and saw none other the Jaycen Ward, the head player on lacrosse team and one of the biggest scandalites of their school, pulling the door open for her.

Crap! He knows! she thought to herself, surprise sure to be written all over her face.

"Here you go Star."

She quickly tried to stifle her shock and found herself raising an inquisitive eyebrow at him, amazed he even remembered that her name began with an 'S'.

"Um my name's Sydney..." Jaycen lifted a challenging eyebrow in return. "Nevermind...Thanks." She walked into the building about to run off before Jaycen's voice halted her, making her anxiety rise.

"I know your name's Sydney, but I called you that because you look like a Star." He said admirably.

A laugh rose in her chest and with a little humor in her voice. "That's actually a good line. I hate to tell ya' buddy, but my pants-" she pointed to them with both her index fingers "-are not open for business. Saving that for marriage, or boyfriend, or anyone but you even if you were the last man on Earth."

Jaycen's jaw fell open as if he was trying to form any sort of words to dispute or attack her back, but before he could say anything else a girl came running at him, seeming to prove her point.

"Jay! I heard about what happened at practice last night are you alright?!" The raven haired beauty asked looking over him like she would fine visible marks of last night's events.

Sydeny turned and started out towards her locker, afraid that somehow Jaycen would remember for that one moment when their eyes locked and recognize her from the forest.

"We'll be talking later Star." Jaycen said, his voice holding a warning of some sort.

That's not optimistic, Sydney though hoping to god he would forget and they could all move on from last night's events.

Turning the corner to get to her locker Sydney was harshly grabbed by her injured shoulder and another hand curled around, nails biting into her forearm yanked into a dark vacant entryway.

"Listen here and listen close, you better watch your fucking self and leave Jaycen alone, or else I'll tell him that it was you last night in the forest." The voice spat into her ear before shoving Sydney back into the crowd.

As people bumped into her, Sydney tried to look back to see the space was no longer occupied. Debating whether or not to go any investigate, her decision was made by the horde of students pushed her away and towards her first period class.

☽✣☾

JAY

"Sweetheart, have a good day at school. I'll be home in a few days. Make sure your father actually eats, will you?"

"Yes, Mom," he said with a groan in his voice.

"Ok, make sure you and your sister are getting enough to eat as well. I love you, Sweetheart. Have a wonderful day. I'll be home soon."