Chapter Twenty

SYDNEY

Sydney was never one for skipping school. Even when she was sick, Rachel or her father would have to convince her to stay home, arguing she needed to get better so she could go back 'full force.'

Waking up the following morning though from the night before and exhaustion of yesterday's events anchored down on her body like a weighted blanket.

After much debate she decided today was going to take a personal day. There was way too much at school that she wasn't ready to face. Having shared a kiss with Mat last night was equally heavy on her mind as it was learning of the pain he had undergone over all the years unbeknownst to her, on top of his sharing lineage with Jay.

Trying to convince Rachel that she wasn't dying was a difficult task though. Sydney just explained she was learning to see reason in taking a personal day, especially since she had been staying late at school, so she wasn't going to fall behind in anything.

She knew that Rachael was more on edge with this out of character behaviour especially after witnessing Aaron shift away from them after their father's death.

Swearing it was just a one time thing Rachael still seemed sceptical, so instead Sydney caved, saying she was getting things in order for a small day trip she was going to be taking with Jay the upcoming Saturday, not that Sydney really needed to. That quickly changed Rachael's tune and she pulled out three twenties leaving them on the counter before giving Sydney a kiss on the cheek and rushing out the door to head to work at the architecture firm.

With her sister taken care of, Sydney cooked two omelettes, one for her and one for Aaron. His green eyes went wide with surprise as he turned down the stairs into the kitchen to see her still home. He whispered his thanks gobbling down the food, before excusing himself out for the day.

Finishing the rest of her breakfast, she noted the silence filling the house without her siblings there. Her eyes found the family photos lining the dining room, and she couldn't help but miss her father more in lonely and confusing times like this. What she wouldn't give to hear his lofty steps down the stairs and deep happy voice wishing her good morning, followed by his bear hugs and his dad jokes.

Outside the rain started to pick up and clean the day. Despite some people thinking they needed to match the gloominess of the day, dampening on the emotion of the day, Sydney always found a calming and soothing.

That was till her eyes found her phone. Eyeing it nervously, she knew to keep Jay and Mat at bay so they wouldn't show up banging on her door, it was in her best interest to send them both a text.

Mat had simply replied saying he understood, to be safe, and to know that he was only a phone call or text message away.

Trying to deter Jay from coming to her door was a little more challenging undertaking. Seeing as things ended on a fairly good note the evening before between them, Jay saw this as an opportunity to spend the day with her getting her more familiar with the werewolf secret and just to protect her.

She ordered him away, claiming that she had some family matters to tend to and she needed to get things squared away before their trip that Saturday to the Enclave. Jay yielded but asked if she needed anything from school because he planned to stop by in the afternoon, as long as that was all right with her he quickly added.

A small smile spread across her lips with the kindness and thoughtfulness of Jay. She replied that she was looking forward to him stopping by and would appreciate him checking with a few of her teachers for any assignments.

The one thing working in her favor was that Jay would have practice after school. It would give her time to sort out her thoughts before confronting him about the knowledge Mat had shared with her.