The Pilot

The roar of the waves hit against the carrier Enterprise as she cruises through ocean onto her next engagement. The smell of the ocean permeates the air. The sun starts to show from the horizon as the light hits the carrier giving it life and showing her crew scurrying around preparing for the upcoming battle. Hellcats and SBD dive bombers litter the deck as they are getting prepared. Leaning against the steel structure of the bridge waiting for his plane to be ready is Thomas. One of the few Allied aces in the Pacific, he is the pride of Enterprise.

Thomas sighs as he looks down the horizon. "When will this war end?" He takes a deep breath. " Maybe you are wondering that too, huh Enterprise?" He looks at the ship like he was expecting an answer. "I guess not." He lets out a light chuckle but soon his chuckle turns sour at the new pilots.

The sound of steel can be heard getting kicked and abused as James kicks the metal wall out of frustration. Upset by this Thomas marches over to James. " What the hell do you think are doing to Enterprise?"

He looks up at Thomas. His face looked even madder than what it looked liked. " This stupid hunk a junks elevator got stuck and my plane is still on it!"

" So you take it out on her?" Thomas's voice has anger in it.

" Her?" James scoffs at Thomas. " You actually call this hunk of junk her? It's just piece of metal floating in the ocean."

" That's what you think newbie." Thomas's glare becomes sharp like a knifes edge.

" Who the hell are you calling newbie?" He gets in Thomas's face.

" You, and that's because this is your first time getting ready for combat. You are still green to the whole prospect of war. Her elevator isn't stuck. It's waiting for the planes to move. She's patiently waiting for her crew to prepare everything so she can send us off." The glare becomes sharper.

" Huh?" James get even closer. " The hell you saying? This ship here is just a tool to win the war. That's all it's good for."

Having enough of it Thomas pushes him away with force causing him to fall back on his butt. " You don't know a damn thing about her then. She was built before the war even began. She was here to keep peace and that's what she's trying to do again. She cares for us, protects us, and it's our job to do the same for her. So don't ever abuse the one that is trying to protect you. Because she isn't like any other ship. She is the Grey Ghost, the mighty Enterprise so you better change your attitude or you might not make it through this war."

Saying what he wanted to say Thomas headed back to where he was as James, still on his butt stunned by how Thomas was talking. "Bastard." Thomas mutters before getting back up.

Thomas leans on the steel structure again. " He's an idiot. It just seems like they just sent him out here without him knowing how things work here." Thomas lets out an annoyed sigh.  He thinks back to all of the battles he fought in. He fought in almost every battle in the Pacific with Enterprise from 1942-1944 and counting. His body starts to shake as remembers the battles. The curtain of lead in the air trying to cut him down. The screams of flak exploding near his plane. He grabs his arm tightly trying to calm down his nerves. 

He remembers the men who lost their lives on Enterprise when the Japaneses dive bombers hit her. He lost so many of his friends in this war. Most of them he met in training. He met his best friend in training, but he ended up losing him, losing Luke. Luke was killed when a Japanese bomb hit Yorktown. It was an awful sight to see. Yorktown was on fire. " Luke, I'm sorry." 

Thomas feels a tap on his shoulder. He snaps out of his daze and sees Adam. " Come on Thomas we are leaving." Thomas straighten out and nods. " Right."