Chapter 4

While Gabriel was processing the information he had learned about his companion, Belle herself was washing dishes outside the tent, using biodegradable soap, warm water and a bucket. She also had a small brush in her hand to scrape off the remnants of food caked on the dirty dishes.

Before proceeding to do the dirty work Belle took the ring off her finger and carefully placed it in a chest pocket of her olive green coat where the token could be safe and sound, right in front of the girl's heart.

The girl knew that her family and her girlfriend were looking for her everywhere and her heart ached at the realization that she had left them.

Of course, Belle had all the intentions of contacting them once she met her so-called real, biological parents, and she was filled with optimism that everything would work out in the end.

However, deep inside her heart, the feelings of immense guilt and pain were eating away at her very being for no matter what obstacles she had to face in life her adoptive parents, her beloved brother and her girlfriend had always been there for her and she repaid them by running away and leaving them behind.

The biological parents, more specifically her mother, on the other hand, had only wrote letters up to that point yet never bothered to visit.

Was she even doing the right thing by looking for her biological parents? Sure, she needed answers but...What if it was going to be that moment where most questions were better off unanswered?

Belle's lips trembled as a guttural cry made it past them, in sync with the ever so subtle howl of the autumn wind, nagging like her conscience as she began scraping off the remnants of the breakfast, rubbing the dishes with the brush and singing softly as the wind was trying to make a mess out of her red curls:

Love of my life, you've hurt me
You've broken my heart and now you leave me
Love of my life, can't you see?
Bring it back, bring it back
Don't take it away from me, because you don't know
What it means to me

***

Love of my life, don't leave me
You've stolen my love, you now desert me
Love of my life, can't you see?
Bring it back, bring it back (back)
Don't take it away from me
Because you don't know
What it means to me

Those were the lyrics sounding in Leah's ears as she was listening to them via her headphones.

Tears were streaming from her puffy violet blue eyes and down her cheeks which were full of freckles like a field is full of flowers.

Her girlfriend, the love of her life, had run away from home, leaving everyone behind, including Leah herself, and for what?! For the sake of finding the very people who had given her up for adoption in the first place and merely checked on her via those stupid thrice cursed letters several times a year at most!

The girl gritted her teeth in anger, despite her knowledge that being cross would do more harm than good. However, she could barely control herself and there was no stopping her anger, guilt and fear.

She had warned Belle before not to embark on a wild goose chase but couldn't make her stubborn girlfriend change her mind about that stupid plan. Belle had always been the type to allow fantasies and expectations guide her, rather than reality and common sense.

That time was no exception.

Leah removed the headphones and cuddled up on the bed that belonged to Belle's adoptive brother, Neil, who was sixteen years old at the time, when she saw the boy himself enter the bedroom with two mugs in his hands and Belle's pet snake, Elizabeth Bennett, or Eliza, wrapped around his neck like a fancy pale yellow scarf with huge bright yellow spots.