Chapter 8

That afternoon Belle and her immortal companion packed up and set off for Liverpool to get to London as soon as possible so that they could proceed with their search for the people who they needed to find.

Gabriel, despite his athletic build, was understandably a bit out of shape due to everything that had happened to him previously but he didn't want to embarrass himself by complaining and thus look pathetic and weak in front of Belle.

Speaking of which, Belle herself was actively moving forward, despite carrying the heavy backpack.

A wide witty grin was gracing her face and her eyes were beaming with hope. She wasn't complaining at all, as usual, even though Gabriel could see that she was beginning to get tired after about an hour of walking.

Gabriel was more athletic than her for obvious reasons but he was still surprised by the sight of such an enduring fifteen year old.

The entire time, Belle was nostalgically looking at her ring, the reminder of her girlfriend, and the photo of her family Gabriel had seen in the tent.

It was clear as day that she missed them and, deep down, Gabriel felt a bit bad for her but it wasn't like he was going to admit it any time soon.

The wind was pushing the duo forward, blowing from behind them and right in their backs with cold gusts.

There was silence between them for a long time and, as always, the mortal girl was the one to get tired of it first.

"Gabe?" Belle looked up at her companion. "Is it true that people reincarnate?"

The question caught the Archangel off guard.

He nodded, confused.

Reincarnation was indeed real as God believed that by living more than once a soul could learn multiple lessons and become better and better every time, at least in theory.

However, a teenager like Belle was simply too young to consider the possibility of reincarnation. Typical teens never even thought about God that much.

Understandably, the unexpected question rendered Gabriel speechless.

He did, however, manage to utter:

"Why do you ask?"

"It's just that I have this profound feeling that I met Leah before whenever I'm with her. My adoptive brother, Neil, is also familiar to me for some reason... It's as if we were close before so I thought that maybe we could have known each other in another time." she sighed softly and smiled. "Sometimes I feel like I used to be married to Leah... you know, back when we were probably living other lives."

Gabriel stopped in his tracks for a few moments, trying to process what Belle had just told him.

He had never met her girlfriend nor did he intend to meet her but it seemed to him that Belle and Leah indeed used to be together in another life.

Even now, Belle was wearing the Claddagh ring she had received from her girlfriend as a way to show others that she was in a relationship, just like spouses wear rings to inform others of their status as a couple, so the theory was quite plausible.

It didn't help that Belle somehow knew the name of Aziraphale's bookshop.

"What is Mr. Fell like?" the girl asked as they were walking along the road that would lead them to Liverpool, leaving prints in the soft squishy brown mud with their rubber boots. "Maybe I've met him before. His name sounds familiar." her voice cracked suddenly like she was about to tear up.