Chapter IV - Perfect Aim

(...)

4th of July, 1776.

The day that turned the land Louise adopted as yours independent, the day that would be remembered through centuries as the day that freedom was assured to all citizens of the United States.

However, freedom had a high cost, as the war began to spread, finally reaching New York. George Washington appealed to all men the need of brave soldiers and military campaigns to defend the newborn country.

The British had 32 000 troupes heading to New York Arbor, that required a strategic, wise response from the American army, which seemed impossible at the moment due to its high disorganization .

Alexander Hamilton, alongside with Lafayette, John Laurens, Hercules Mulligan, as well as other colleagues of his from King's College, joined a voluntary militia, denominated Corsicans.

They had been planning an assault to the ship HMS Asia for weeks, and has the day approached, Louise's desire to join them also grew.

It was a week before the assault, and the four men were reunited at Lauren's house. While Louise was complaining once again for not being allowed to join them in the future event, Hercules stood up and asked her.

- Do you know how to fire a gun?

Alexander looked at him in shock, while Laurens and Lafayette tried not to laugh at the older Hamilton's expression. Louise stopped talking; hesitating a bit before she answered Mulligan.

- I have never fired a gun... But I am sure I could manage!

Waiting for Mulligan to tell her "If you can't even fire a gun, how would you be able to fight alongside soldiers?", Louise was shocked when Mulligan stood up, required Lafayette's gun and sign her to follow him.

Alexander was ready to oppose to whatever Mulligan's plan was but Lafayette asked him to calm down and wait to see.
_______________________________________

The two walked into the hoods next to John's garden. They were dense, full of trees that hide well anyone that would adventure themselves in it.

They finally reached a glad in the middle of the hoods. It was not very big, but also not too small, and was surrounded by large trees and bushes, ideal to hide it from anyone passing by.

- What are we doing here?- Louise asked, while Hercules handed her a riffle

- I am evaluating your shooting skills.- he replied, grabbing a piece of wood he found on the floor and placing it in front the young woman.- I want you to aim, and then shot through the middle of that piece of wood.

Louise widen her eyes, quite not believing he was allowing her, a woman with no experience at all shooting a gun, give it a shot. But at the same time, as she inspected the pistol, she had no clue how to aim.

She only had a vague idea how to shot, because she had watched her brother doing it before. "It must not be that hard" she thought "soldiers do it all the time".

She fixed herself to the floor, and raised the gun pointing towards the piece of wood, as Mulligan watched from a safe distance behind her.
She breathed in, slowly, and as she was beginning to breath out, she closed her eyes and pulled the trigger coldly.

Her hand ricocheted back, due to the unexpected force of the gun, and the noise of the shot was deafening, so much that she took a while to open her eyes again, as the noise would run around her head.

When she did open her eyes, she saw Mulligan laughing. The bullet was lodged in a tree trunk, right next to the piece of wood.

- If this was a duel, you would be dead.- Mulligan said.