Chapter XI - Rise Up

(...)

Rise up

The soft light of dawn entered the room's window, in the morning the soldiers were to travel to the training facilities. Louise stared at her reflection, as she tightly wrapped her bare chest in bandages, hiding her female figure, something that would last indefinitely. She never had a body envied by other woman: the young woman was stick thin, not owning many female curves besides her bosom.

After finishing, Louise grabbed her uniform, buttoning it up, and then tying her cravat around her neck. Then, she stared at her desk, where her rifle stood right next to a necklace. Her mother's necklace.

She grabbed it and opened the small amulet, revealing her mother's picture, along with another from her and her two brothers, Alexander and James, when they were still small kids.

James...

As a kid in the Caribbean, she wished for a war, even knowing that she was poor. Because she knew it was the only way to

Rise up

Staring at her reflection, holding the necklace, Louise knew that, one day if they told her story, she would either going to die on the battlefield in glory or

Rise up

"I will fight for this land" she thought while tying her hair in a low ponytail with a black ribbon, washing her face and praying that it would be enough to disguise her as a man. After that, she looked over to the blue coat hanging in her door. She took it in her hand, put it on, and then store her mother's necklace in its inner pocket. The rifle was stored in a waist band built in the uniform to hide any gun, and Louise took her trunk, glazing one last time at the mirror

Rise up

The uniform was more comfortable that any dress imaginable, allowing her to move more effortlessly through the halls and downstairs, where Alexander and Laurens waited for her. She barely looked at the second man, whose eyes were now surrounded by two big black circles, consuming any shine that remained after the last few days.

- Are you ready?- Alexander spoke, with a concerned look. He was deep down afraid.

-I am.- Louise replied, confident, and the three headed outside. No words were exchanged with Laurens.

Outside, under an orange morning sky, stood Lafayette and Mulligan, also with concerned expressions. Lafayette held the reins of three horses, while Mulligan held other two. They would leave in the morning, in order to reach the facilities a bit after midday. There, they were arranged to meet the General, so that they would receive their positions in camp.

- Louise?- the Frenchman's voice came in the same tone as Hamilton. She nodded, understanding the question he wanted to make, and he continued, letting out a small grin.- Your horse.

He handed her the reins of a beautiful chestnut stallion, standing about 6 feet tall, a lot taller than the young woman. It had black mane and tail, as well as black socks, flaunting a really strong body, while maintaining a sympathetic look. She thought it was a really handsome stallion.