Chapter X - A new beginning

(...)

-Laurens!

The sea blue eyes opened bluntly, her heart ran faster than a bullet. "It was just a nightmare" she thought to herself, trying to clear her sight, dazzled by the rays of sun entering the big room.

However, she soon realized it wasn't a dream. Louise didn't remember most part of what happened after reading the letter. She only recalled talking to John, and then leaving the house. She remembers also feeling cold, wet, and then suddenly warm, That was when she passed out.

As she was able to see clearly, the young woman analyzed the room she woke up in. It was a bigger room than the one at Lauren's house, with a big window that led into a balcony. On the other side of the room was a desk, followed by a bookshelf filled with books, paper and ink. Finally her eyes stopped in a chair, near the entrance. Or in what was in the chair.

Lafayette slept peacefully, and Louise starred at his sitting frame, trying to remember what happened last night. All of a sudden, she remembered from where the warm feeling was: it was Lafayette picking her up in his arms. Then all collapsed in her mind, creating a domino effect.

Her mind was on Laurens, his eyes. The eyes and face she had fallen for long ago, the only man she truly loved in her life... getting married, lying to her. Leaving her. It was true that before him, she had never experienced what loving someone felt like, but now... the feeling in her chest, like she was missing a part of herself was horrible. The only thing it came close to was the grief she felt when her mother died.

Still, this was not the same: her mother was gone, John was still there. And she would have to look at him every day and remember the great suffering he caused her, the love she had still for him and that was a curse on her heart and how a woman from her status would never be allowed to marry someone like John. Not even for love.

A lonely tear streamed down her stone face, as her thoughts were interrupted by the Frenchman moving, and slowly opening his eyes. Looking at the young woman sitting on the bed, paralyzed like a statue, he made his way across the room, sitting next to her. She moved her face slightly so she could look to his dark brown eyes, filled mostly with concern.

- Have you managed to sleep?- he asked, putting his hand on her forehead, checking her temperature.

She nodded her head, causing a bit of dizziness. She tried to get up, and give up on that "fragile woman" appearance, but her legs didn't support the weight of her body. Before she could fall, Lafayette grabbed her arm and pushed her to the mattress, where she sat down again.

- You shouldn't get up for now, Louise.- he said, softly grabbing her arm- Do you want to talk about hier soir?

She shook her head negatively, unable to form any sentence, causing the man in front of her to sigh.

-Je comprends...- Lafayette said, getting up.- May I go get your brother then? He must be worried..

- Yes...- her first word that morning came under her breath. The only person that could comfort her was Alexander.

Lafayette sketched a smile, but before he could leave the room, Louise called him.

- Lafayette...- he turned around as soon as he heard her voice.- How did you know where I was?

He went silent for a moment, inspired and opened his mouth.

- I woke up in the middle of the night with several desperate knocks on my door...- he started.- When I opened it, I was surprised by seeing Laurens with his eyes red from crying, and his face with a panic look. He talked so fast that I couldn't understand most of what he said, but I caught the words "Louise" and "missing". I got up in my horse rapidement , not knowing where to look. However, when I was in the woods my... how do you say it? Ahh, I had a feeling for where to go. And then I heard your screams, and in my head I just thought of getting you out there... Je suis désolé I should had taken you home.