Part 2: Eva

Chapter 3: Special

I've always known I'm special. My parents just think I'm mentally delayed because I don't interact or talk much and even when I do talk, it's only in monosyllables. I know a lot though. From what I've researched I have found I have a photographic memory but there is also something else. It started when the meteor crashed into the earth. Everyone felt the shockwave, but I more then just felt it. It did something. It altered me. Now I basically absorb information from everything around me. I have found I can also "read" people. When I look at them, I can gleam a basic faint idea of their intentions and if I'm touching them, I can almost read their mind and even, if I try hard enough, telepathically tell them things. I'm sure I can do more but I haven't had time.

The moment my parents were infected I knew there was no saving them. I couldn't just watch them die. But I knew everything. That they would die in about 4 hours and 23 minutes, what organs would start the internal bleeding, how the disease would progress and that there was no stopping or preventing it. My family didn't have the money to afford any of the medications to slow the bleeding.

Still I wanted to try. I urged my parents to go to the hospital and they eventually complied. There were so many people there. I can't stop myself from reading someone once I look at them. I just kept my head down. I was the only immune person there, at least of those that I could see. Until I looked through a window of one of the rooms. There was a girl. I could tell she was in a coma because she had no thoughts in her head. I could also tell she was immune, like me.

Chapter 4: Death

When the shockwave hit it did many different things. It immediately toppled some buildings, didn't affect others and on some it only partially affected it. Leaving the buildings like Jenga towers with one block supporting them. Just waiting for something to come along and knock them down. The hospital was one of these Jenga buildings or at least parts of it was. A train, I could sense it coming, rumbled past. This was this Jenga tower's tipping point. A few seconds later the unsteady parts toppled in, crushing all those inside. I barely got out, but my parents weren't so lucky.

I heard screaming and then I was running, running away. Finding my small little outcove and curling into a tight ball as all the people still in the hospital ran out and ran away from the present danger. Little did they know a larger threat was already inside every one of them. After all the people had run out and I was left alone I realized that it was not just them who were screaming. It was me as well.

Chapter 5: The Girl

How long I sat there and screamed I don't quite remember. Once my voice gave out, I just sat and cried and mourned my parent's death. I was alone. Until the girl came along. This girl was the one who I had seen earlier that day. She broke my trance of sobs. I read her and saw that she was just alone as I was. She had no memories, no family, nothing. Then I knew I needed to stay with this girl. I needed to help her and in return she would help me.