Part 10: Eva

Chapter 25: Test

I see her when Alecia and Griffin cant. I can sense her energy. Her ability is hiding her from sight. Its not a very strong energy but it was there. They were too far away for me to tell so I had to call to her. I have never used my voice this much and it seemed to just come flowing out of me. Until they arrived, I didnt stop, I didnt have a reason to.

Kara and Lucas. From the minuet they drove up I could tell they were strong. Sure, Alecia and Griffin were stronger, but they were still ten times stronger then the little chameleon girl. The girl, Kara, has abilities over time and the boy, Lucas, has electrical abilities. They told us most of what we already knew. The world has been pretty much killed and there is 1% of the population who has this random genetic mutation where instead of making them sick it gives them abilities. Then, like the arrogant people they are, they say that for them to let us in we must prove that we are immune. And to do that we have to show them our abilities.

They said that they are checking because they dont want to bring the sickness into their camp. I wanted to shout at Kara that if they are immune then they shouldnt care about the sickness, but my voice that seemed to be so present just a second ago, had vanished. So, Alecia presented her ability having a flame in one hand and a small tornado in the other. Griffin did the same but with a floating stone and a swirling ball of water in the other.

Once the other two were done Kara and Lucas eyes went to me, my voice still nowhere to be found. Alecia stepped up to explain for me, but I held a hand out to stop her. I want to show these two myself. And in doing that I can learn more about them as well. I motion for them to come closer to the fence. I step up as well ad reach out both my hands to take theirs. Alecia says that for me to show them I need to hold their hands. They tentatively reach out and each take one of my hands.

In their heads I tell them that this is my ability and I give them one memory that is the description of this ability. As I'm doing this, I'm also exploring their minds.

They seem surprised at my ability and that I know so much for such a little girl. I guess they have never seen something like me before. Every ability seems to be at least slightly different. Even if two people have the same type of ability, they each have different strengths involving that ability

Chapter 26: Haven

Having now proven ourselves, we follow Lucas and Kara back to their camp. It is a beautiful oasis in this wasteland of an earth. There are about 45 people aging from small children to late teens. There are varying sizes of tents set up in different circles and on one side there is a very large garden. In the center there is a very large tent. On the way to this central tent we meet two other people. Bubbly Ashly has an ability based in plants and more withdrawn Cole can control the weather. Both, from what Ive seen, are the strongest in their ability sector.

From what Lucas and Kara explain to us this camp is separates into sectors. Each type of ability has a sector and the three strongest of each represents the sector to help make decisions for the entire camp. There are 3 different sectors. The first includes all those with abilities involving living things, the second includes everyone with abilities that have to do with technology, the third includes pretty much everyone else.

Lucas says this is because those to types relate to the most people. I am placed in the first sector and Kara and Lucas are placed in the second. They take our one tent and I am offered a choice between joining another tent or getting my own, one person, tent. Being my shy self, I immediately opted for the latter option. I find a small spot on one of the outer rings of the sector. I set up may tent and organize all my supplies. Kara said we could keep any supplies we brought with us, so we divided the supplies evenly between us and went our separate ways to get settled. In the back of my mind I still have a connection to Alecia from the time I spent in her mind. So someplace in my mind is keeping track of where she is at all times.

Once I get settled, I just wander around the camp reading people. I'm like a ghost. No one notices the small girl walking about the camp. Because it technically is a two person tent Alecia and Griffin were able to just keep the tent we had before. Griffin left to park our truck just inside the fence and Alecia and I just sit inside her tent and talk about this amazingly beautiful and populated place.

Chapter 27: Food

In all the excitement of seeing other living humans we almost entirely forgot our empty stomachs. We head to the tent that houses all the food and explain to the girl who was there managing the food that we just arrived and she says that there is no actual meal time and people just come get food whenever but you can only get food 4 times a day or we would run out of food or something. There is a list of everyone on a computer and when you come and get food you just put your name in. As hungry as we were, we ended up taking out two of our food rations for today. Its also nice because its organized so there are different categories and for each ration you can pick one from each group.

With we leave the meal tent and return to Alecia and Griffins tent to eat. I finish eating before the other two, so I decide to get up and walk around the camp some more. After another 15 minuets of walking through camp Ive probably read ¾ of the people in the camp. The fabric that makes up the tents is thin enough that I can read through it if I try hard enough.

Kara and Lucas were right. Every person I read has an ability, no surprise there, some are quite strong. Very few as strong as Kara and Lucas and none as strong as Alecia and Griffin.

I think we will be happy here. At the very least, happier than we were out in the ruins of our perfect little world.