Part 4: Eva

Chapter 10: Another Human

As we enter the room, I feel small. Ive always been short, but this room is huge. Larger even than it seems from outside the door. It has probably 20 ft high ceilings and the rectangular shape of it is maybe 35 by 40 feet. This room is bigger than most of my house. We go back behind the counter and find a lot of food stored there. We feast on cereal and milk, and bread with honey on it. Using another tablecloth, I found I made another pocket and added it on to Alecias backpack. We then put all our food in that pocket. Our store now consists of a loaf of bread, a bottle of honey, 8 emergency food packets, a bag of cereal, 20 small bags of nuts and 25 bags of dried fruit. Along with the 6 bottles of water. We are trying to take all we would need of food for a while so if we dont find any we can at least survive.

After packing up we make our way to the other side of the room. To the other set of glass doors. We go through. This hall looks the same, but it feels different. I'm sensing something. Something living. Thats all I can tell. A massive amount of energy, human energy, coming from somewhere in front and to the left of us.

I grasp Alecias hand and say Careful. What is it? I dont know but it is giving off energy.

We carefully step forward and we stop just before the next fork. We take one more step forward, the energy source is really close now, and before I know whats happening a large chunk of concrete comes flying at Alecia and I. Alecia responds even quicker. She kneels in front of me protectively and put out her hands as if to block the oncoming debree. I cant see what happened but I her a crack and a whoosh of air and chunks of concrete go flying to either side of us.

I poke my head around the side of Alecias shoulder. In the hall, there is a boy. He is about Alecias age, maybe a year older. Hes has blond curly hair, sky blue tee-shirt with only a few small blood stains, some old jeans and black tennis shoes. Without even thinking I read him, and I see how afraid he is. Afraid of getting sick. I see that he has abilities as well but his are opposite of Alecias. Water and earth. Although he does have abilities and cant see the immunity in him. I dont see the sickness either. Is he hiding it from me? Is he one of the few healthy non immunes left? I dont know.

The next shot he takes at us is another of cement. This projectile, even bigger than the last comes flying at us but just as before, Alecias air shield breaks it into rubble.

The realization hits him that he is not going to be able to make any headway against Alecia, so he sticks his hand out and blasts a wall of ice, one foot thick, over the entire entrance to that hallway. Then, from what I can see of his shadow behind the ice he turns and runs off down the hallway.

After a few seconds Alecia drops her veil that has been protecting us and turns to me. I touch her hand and inform her of what I read from the boy. Stay here. I dont want you getting hurt. I oblige and sit down in one of the doorway outcoves. I would protest but I know Alecia would blame herself if anything happened to me. She hands me her bag and runs off down the hall towards the ice wall. I watch as her hand heats up and reddens. It melts directly through the ice and she takes off down the hall. She literally takes off. She is using her abilities over air to push her faster and because of that she is floating almost 6 inches off the ground. She flashes around the next corner and disappears.