Part 8: Eva

Chapter 19: Crash

I dont really understand how I did what I did, how I broke the barrier of thought in Alecias mind. I know it had something to do with my ability and a whole lot of focus and will power. Once I saw the small holes I worked as Alecia slept to widen them as much as possible until, like a dam with a crack in its wall, all the memories that had been pushing to escape just broke free. The rush of thoughts was so great that it almost overwhelmed me. I just barely managed to find this memory before it clicked into place. All the pieces of memories like pieces of a puzzle, coming together overhead.

Alecias mind is like an empty plane and all her memories are pieces of a puzzle making up the sky above.

I hope she understands why I kept this memory separate. This is the memory of the event that caused all this pain to begin with. Its the memory of the car crash and her parents death. Its so traumatic I thought that if I put it back with all the others it may throw back into the chaotic state she was in before.

So here I sit. Holding this last piece of the puzzle in my hand and watching Alecias empty dreams. Then the dreams start to fade, and I know shes waking up. This time I just continue to sit there. I dont pack up and leave without a trace, I stay and wait so I can give Alecia her missing piece.

After a few minutes I see her walk out onto the dreamy cloudscape of her mind. It takes her a not her full minuet of gazing around with wondering eyes at here now quiet mind and newfound memories before she notices me siting there next to the broken barrier of thought.

When I hand her the piece her face changes into a mixture of sadness and relief. As she watches the memory her sadness grows deeper but so does her relief. Although this memory I terrible she needs it to be whole. And whole she now is.

After she finishes reading, she thinks for a moment then throws the puzzle piece up towards the memory sky. As it flies it glows and changes shape into a butterfly, its wings still flashing the memory on repeat. The beautiful butterfly continues flying straight up until it connects with its fellow memories. As I leave Alecias mind and she returns to her own body I know that I just didnt help Alecia become whole again, I helped myself become whole.

Chapter 20: Leaving

For the next 2 days we stay in this beaten down hospital Alecia and I dont speak of what happened in her mind. Griffin, who spent most of the time when Alecias mind was in chaos searching the hospital for supplies, sensed the change in her and now hasnt left her side.

We now have enough supplies to last a week and a half or more. He even found 3 real back packs to put it all in. I think we are going to leave tomorrow or the next day in hopes of finding someplace better to stay then this blood covered, half collapsed hospital.

Alecia and Griffin go off to scout for 1 or 2 hours at a time. They tell me that they are going out to find a way out of this maze of a hospital and then se whats nearby us. They think that everything is empty, and they havent found any living people yet. They did find something though. They found a dog! Hes a black lab and his collar says his name is Max. Alecia said he was just running around on the streets and he followed them back here, so we decided to keep him. Max is not a small dog by any means. He is almost taller than I am, and he has so much energy.

Griffin came home today and told me that it was almost time to leave. He said that I should pack everything for us. He then left for a minute and came back with three backpack, one slightly smaller than the others which I assume is for me. I dont mind, I'm very good at packing things. I managed to fit almost all our things into these bags. In each one I fit 5 bottles of water, 11 days worth of food, 2 blankets, 1 emergency medical kit, and 2 towels. In mine I also put my stuffed rabbit and in each of the other 2 I put each of the 2 lanturns.

Alecia returned with Max a few minutes after I finished. She picks up the last bag, Griffin and I both have ours on our backs already and puts it on her back. We all step out into the hall. Griffin takes one of her hands and I take the other. She is excited and nervous at the same time. Max follows us as we walk out into the ruins.

Chapter 21: A World Beyond Chaos

When I said ruins, I meant ruins. Most of the buildings are crumbled from the shockwave and those that arent have broken windows and doors for greedy people trying to rob the now empty houses. Everything is covered in a layer of dust and sand and in the sky the sun shines reddish- brown from all the dust still in the air. Alecia uses her ability to create a bubble of clear air around us. We arent worried about getting sick since we are all immune but dust in your lungs isnt good.

We walk for a few hours turning left and right on different streets. Alecia and Griffin seem to know where they are going, its just so sad seeing everything empty. When it gets darker, we stop and take shelter in a broken down radio store. The front windows are broken but the back room has a door that you can lock from inside the room. It feels safe enough.

We eat some beans from our food supply and lay out our blankets. Alecia and Griffin put theirs close together but I end up deciding on putting mine in the corner so I can read the 3 books I brought in my backpack without waking them. After tonight Ill probably leave them hear because by morning who knows how many times, I will have read them. Behind the counter in the shop part of this building I found another book. I'm going to save this one for tomorrow night, I guess.