Part 7: Alecia

Chapter 17: Whirl Wind

Over the next day I walk through life in a haze. So many thoughts are running through my mind I cant even keep track of them. I just lay in bed and listen to all the thoughts running through my mind. There are so many of them that I cant focus on any specific one, or anything else for that matter. Thats all I can do I lay here. If Eva wasnt here, I would probably never get up. As I lay there, I can barely feel it as Eva takes my hand a quietly slips into my mind. She pushes calming thoughts into my tornado of a brain, and I focus on those thoughts and drift into the empty darkness of sleep.

Over the next few days I drift in and out of the calming sleep that Eva helps me into. I can feel that while I'm asleep shes in my mind, but I still dont know what shes doing. I cant get my thoughts in a straight enough line to ask her. I feel like some of my memories are coming back though. In the spinning tornado of my thoughts I will sometimes catch a glimpse of Griffin. Not as I know him now but a mental snapshot of him when he was maybe Evas age or even younger. It has a strange familiarity to it that I just cant place. I know, at least from what he told me, that we have known each other since we were very little. This may be a snippet of the boy I once knew who is now locked in the back of my mind. Away from anything I can possibly retrieve.

Chapter 18: Restoration

As I wake from the darkness of my sleep there is silence. Not the roar of my tornado of thoughts just silence and stillness in my mind. What has changed?

The wall has been broken.

Evas voice in my mind cut through my newfound silence like a knife. In all the surprise of having control of my own thoughts again I didnt feel my small sister sitting in the back of my mind waiting for me to awake. Then I see it. A broken wall. It was hidden by all my spinning thoughts. Then I know what Eva meant. That wall was keeping all my old memories hidden from me. This small girl used her wonderful mind to make me whole again. This piece that I was missing is finally back and my mind can quiet again.

Its almost like they never left. My puzzle pieces of hidden memory fit perfectly back in place and I can remember everything now. Griffin, my parents, school and almost all my years on this earth. Everything is there.

Wait. Theres something missing.

Then I look at Eva. She has stood up and walked over to me. In her hand I see a puzzle piece. There is memory playing on it. Its the missing piece. Why does Eva still have it?

She hears my thoughts and says, I thought you might want to remember this separately.

What is it?

The car crash.

My heart stops when she says that. I now know why she kept that piece of me apart from the rest. Steeling myself for what is going to come next, I hold out my hand for my missing piece. A tear falls down her face as she gives it to me. I know shes seen it already, and now I will.

Holding the piece in my hand I look down at the small horrific movie playing on it. I dont want to see, but I have the dire need to see the memory on this piece. It will make me whole.