CHAPTER 2 : Captivity

A few years ago, I was against the captivity of cetaceans, but not that of pinnipeds (it is the family of sea lions, seals, ...) because I knew how sea lions were treated in captivity and in my opinion they could be happy unlike cetaceans.

At the time, I found it cruel to enclose such large and intelligent animals as orcas or dolphins in pools.

I listened to what associations said but I had never really learned about the point of view of the dolphinariums.

I was sort of lost, because, I did not know what to think about this situation.

Over time, I realized that I was boycotting the water parks because everyone was doing it and that I wanted to have good conscience but deep down, I wanted to support them.

So I started to watching videos made by dolphinariums of how animals are trained, what they do with orcas and dolphins all day. I started following trainers on social media and I realized that some associations are not as fair as you might think.

Yes, I agree, not all is white in captivity, but not all is black either.

I realized that many lies were told about the conditions of captivity of cetaceans, for example: we are told that animals are deprived of food if they do not want to participate in the shows; but it doesn't work like that. You can't force a 3000 kg animal (here, I'm talking about orcas) to do something if it doesn't want to.

There is no starvation, whatever happens, each animal will have the ration of fish intended for it!

Trainers use a training method called positive reinforcement, that is, we will bring something positive to the animal in exchange for good behavior on its part. It can be fish, just like a caress, an interaction with another individual, a toy, ...

Animals are never punished!

If he does not succeed in the requested exercise, it doesn't matter, we ask him for another behavior, easier to be able to reward him!

I mainly learned about a particular park, Marineland Antibes in France. People want to release the 4 orcas of this park (Inouk, Wikie, Moana and Keijo). These individuals are all 4 born in captivity; it would therefore be impossible to release them.

Keiko, an orca who returned to the wild in 2002 after several years of captivity did not survive when he had already known the ocean, I don't see how it's possible for orcas who were born in contact with the man.

These rehabilitation programs cost a fortune so that in the end the orcas die in the ocean? I don't think anyone wants that. It is better to put this money in the safeguard of the wild orcas which, they, are really in distress. Southern resident orcas are starving to death because humans have built a dam that prevents salmon from spawning.

I agree that we do not accept animal captivity but from there, to disclose lies, I don't agree. I don't think that the people who will demonstrate in front of the dolphinariums are those who save the animals, it is those who are on the ground, to save the stranded cetaceans, to rescue the animals trapped in fishing nets, the real heroes. ..

So I say it loud and clear : I Stand With SeaWorld !

©The picture is mine