CHAPTER 5 : The magical creatures

Do you remember that I told you that my mom wanted to give me gerbils if I could go to the Christmas market? Well, imagine that it was done!

During my depression, my parents wanted to do something that would cheer me up and help me out.

I will always remember the day we went to get them.

I have to say that I was pretty stressed out because I was going to have to go to a store. What if something happens to me, and if I have a panic attack again? I hesitated, and even almost canceled. But I really wanted to have these gerbils for a long time.

So I took a medicine before leaving and I went there, the ball in the belly, and essential oils in the pocket (which are really essential for the blow!)

My mom and I arrive at the pet store and start to choose accessories (too cute, by the way) for them. I had carefully prepared a list of everything they needed. We choose a small beige cage by a saleswoman.

Then come the long-awaited moment, when I choose my gerbils. There were about 20 rodents in the cage. All were agouti (brown) or black in color.

I wanted two little females; one of each color. The seller said that it was a good choice, the females are more friendly. She takes them and puts them in a small transport box before giving them to me.

That's it ! I had my babies, I was so happy, always stressed, but very happy!

Outside, it was dark and cold when we went out, there was wind. I put the box of my gerbils, which had died of fear just like me, in my coat so that they don't catch cold.

I talk to them: "It's ok, don't worry, you're safe".

In the car, they were looking for a way to escape from their box, to no avail.

My mom then asks me what I'm going to call them. I had chosen two names: Lune (moon in english) for the agouti gerbil and Zumba for the black one.

When we returned, I felt much better, and the girls had been my therapy as they will continue to be thereafter.

My parents helped me set up their cage and I released them. I left them a little quiet so that they could regain their senses and get used to their new home. I didn't take my eyes off them all evening. It was weird to have them at home, in my room.

At first, Zumba was a bit aggressive and wanted to bite me. I have to confess, but she scared me a little. Lune was less fearful and came to see me when I was near the cage but not too close either!

Today the girls are two years old. They trust me and I trust them. Zumba is the dominant female and the one I am closest to. Contrary to what one might think, Zumba loves contact now, but she remains aggressive towards strangers. She protects her territory and her sister; it's a very good chef!

Lune is more shy but enjoys spending time with anyone. She is more open, let's say!

These girls really brought me a lot in a time in my life when I was in pain. They helped me out of my depression, so even if they won't read that, thank you girls, I love you!

©The picture is mine