CHAPTER 3 : Be marine mammal trainer

I wanted to dedicate a chapter to talk about the profession of marine mammal trainer. It's not an easy job as you might think, trainers don't spend their entire days playing with animals.

The working hours are very long (from 8:00 to 0:00 during certain periods). And all the while, the trainers are not resting! It is a very physical job and can be very hard mentally.

In winter, it's very cold, but the trainers are still in wetsuits, soaked.

An example of a task they must do: the trainers must prepare the ideal quantity of fish for each animal (this is between 50 and 100 kg of fish per killer whale) while sorting the food. Fish fallen on the ground go directly to the trash.

The trainers must also clean the panes windows very regularly; it's very tiring!

This job requires a lot of sacrifices, there are no water parks on every street corner, so trainers are forced to leave their families. They live on very low wages that they often can't see their loved ones.

You may be wondering: Why do this job if it is so difficult?

I have a word for you: PASSION!

They love their animals more than anything in the world, which means that even if they are cold or tired, the trainers will do everything for their animals, for their comfort of life. These people are able to stay overnight watching over a sick animal.

This is what I like about this job, it's what makes it valuable, what makes it beautiful!

©The picture is mine