CHAPTER 6 : Wikie

I had to devote a chapter to this animal. It is a cetacean that brings me so much on a daily basis.

After accepting the captivity of cetaceans, I began to inquire about each captive individual living in the world and in particular, the orcas of Marineland Antibes (the one and only French park with orcas).

They currently have four orcas; three males (Inouk, Moana and Keijo) and one female (Wikie).

And I don't know why but I was immediately attracted to the dominant female pod: Wikie! (certainly because it is the only female and that it stood out).

I started to do research about her. When you type "wikie marineland" in the Google search bar, you come across things like:

"Wikie, the Marineland orca is bored"

"Free Wikie"

but I came across something more interesting:

"Wikie, the orca of Marineland, learns to speak!"

And yes, indeed, Wikie can say a few words in English like: hello / byebye / one / two / three

I was quite impressed and I still am!

Wikie is the daughter of Sharkan and Kim II. She was born in Marineland Antibes in 2001 and has a brother named Inouk who lives with her and a sister, Shouka, who lives in Sea World San Diego in the USA.

Wikie is the mother of two boys: Moana and Keijo.

She is the queen of Marineland Antibes. She has a very strong personality; this orca does what she wants and I'm pretty happy with it. It means she doesn't feel pressured to do anything. If a trainer offers her an activity she doesn't like, she leaves.

I have another example. Sometimes it is necessary to separate Wikie from the rest of the group and especially from her sons for medical intervention. It is really hard for her and frustrating so if she is with her brother, Inouk, at that time, she will go after him. Wikie is the dominant; she does what she wants and nobody is going to stop her.

It can happen that Wikie sulks and does not want to see his trainers (for one reason or another). In this case, none of the other orcas have the right to approach their trainers. She can be jealous!

Other than that, she is an orca who is open to anything that is offered to her. She really jumps very high, which means she is very motivated to learn new behaviors.

Wikie loves herself! She likes to show herself at the window pool and to be looked at.

The first time I saw her, was incredible; I almost cried!

I saw her in the distance and I said to my brother, next to me: "It's Wikie! It's Wikie!"

How do I recognize her? Her eyepatchs (white spots that look like eyes) are in gradation from white to black, she has a mole under the head and one above her pec (pectoral fin). In addition, her dorsal is very straight.

As you know, the day before I saw Wikie, I suffered a lot but that day, she was there and that's why I love her so much. As soon as it does not go well, or when I have an anxiety attack, I think of her. She really helps me without even knowing it.

©The picture is not mine