End of Days/Chosen (1st revised version)

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Storm Sewers

Faith stands over the wooden box and smashes the padlock off with her boot. She kneels before it and swings the lid open to reveal several hundreds pounds of plastic explosive connected to a detonator and timing device. The timer counts down. Faith runs, diving into a murky sewer water, just as the bomb explodes with a tremendous fireball. The pressure wave tosses Faith around like a matchstick.

Pagean Temple/Shadow Valley Vineyard

As Buffy stares at the ancient weapon embedded in the rock, the trapdoor above slams open and Caleb stalks down the stairs.

"So...you found it. Not impressed. 'Cause the question now, girly-girl, is can you pry it from solid rock before I come over there and—"

Buffy reaches and casually lifts the Axe. She holds it up and turns toward Caleb who stops in his tracks, for the first time uncertain and fearful.

"Damn..." Caleb says.

End of Days/Pagean Temple-Present

Buffy wrestles with Caleb as he tries to get control of the scythe from her. She recovers and whacks him in the side of the head with one end of the weapon, then hits him in the gut with the other, then again with the blade—three shots fast.

Caleb let's go and Buffy leaps backward. He rushes her and unleashes a punch that shatters a stone column to dust on contact.

"You're not slipping out of this fight, girl. Can't you see? You can't stop me. I can just keep going back for more. It's like being re-born."

Buffy lunges at Caleb with the scythe and this time he ducks under its blade, avoiding contact.

Buffy presses the attack, swinging and thrusting. Caleb can't be touched.

He smiles and stands upright—a target.

Buffy swings the Axe blade right at his neck and Caleb, without looking, shoots a hand up and catches the scythe in mid-swing, stopping it cold. With his other hand, Caleb punches Buffy so hard she flies into the far wall, sending up a cloud of dust. She drops the scythe on impact.

Caleb holds the scythe up for all of a split second, as Buffy kicks it from his grip and catches it in the same motion. She spins, catching Caleb behind the knees with the scythe's shaft and lifting him off his feet. He crashes to the dusty floor. Buffy spins the scythe, stake-end first, and thrusts it downward straight at Caleb's throat. He catches it an inch above his face and twists hard, flipping Buffy over. Now it's her turn to hit the ground.

Caleb leaps to his feet and Buffy staggers to hers just in time to receive a devastating punch to the face. It sends her reeling backward. Caleb just keeps hitting her, a maniacal on his face.

Buffy tries to defend herself but she's running out of steam.

She lies on her back on the floor, writhing in pain as Caleb circles her, not even out of breath.

He raises his scythe for the killing blow.

Suddenly, he drops it. He looks at his chest and pulls an arrow out, tossing it to the ground.