Surprising End

A petite and small girl of barely five foot four glared at the woman that sat primly on her bed with a pleading gaze and hands clasped in front of her. Her arms crossed her chest and squinted at her long time friend, Allura, with disbelief and a deeply etched scowl on her face that it was near permanent. Her fingers tapped impatiently on her arm.

"Oh, please, Pidge? You know I have no one else to ask to go with me," Allura asked, dropping her hands to her lap.

She could feel her eye twitching in displeasure. A hand splayed across her forehead, shaking her head before casting a long look and an exaggerated sigh, "But you said Matt and Shiro are coming? Why do you have to bring me too?"

Allura sighed, "Because I'd like us to experience together what dressing up and having fun as only girls can!" Her eyes were bright and sparkly eyed. Pidge had to agree that it'd be a first for her too, especially since she just hit eighteen, but that did not mean she agreed. However, considering Allura's work driven and hyper-focused studies at Altea University, the smaller girl was considering on going along with it. She knew Allura didn't go out much and the few occasions where she asked were for special events that often had her dragging anyone from their group to go.

And Pidge was the only other girl in the group.

Heaving a heavy sigh, dropping her hand. "Who else is going?"

Allura looked thoughtful. She pulled out her phone to glance at text messages. Locking the screen once more, she said, "Well, I've invited Shiro and your brother, but it appears Matt had just told Shiro that he is occupied with an assignment he can't get out of." Sounded like him. "And then Shiro asked if he could invite his other friends too, which I'll assume is Lance, Keith, and Hunk."

So, basically, everyone and Pidge promptly slapped her forehead with her hand.

Exasperated, she summed up the situation, "Let me get this straight," she used her hands, gesturing to the number of people and herself, "I was the last one to be asked to go and I'm asked to go because you want us to dress up. Which, in actuality, you just want to show off a bit for the night." She inwardly shuddered, contemplating what on earth Pidge had to show when she barely had a figure like Allura's. Though, she knew the other reason why Allura wanted to show off.

"Not... exactly, but you're my best friend, Pidge, so technically, I've asked you first. I don't know if Shiro had already asked the boys yet." A flicker of guilt crossed her features. Thank God for decency . "But, it'll be fun, Pidge."

Pidge pinched the bridge of her nose. With a sigh, she rubbed her hands on her face and pushed up the faux glasses she wore. With a groan, she gave the confirmation, "Okay, Allura, I'll go. Grudgingly."

With a squeal and Pidge covering her ears, she watched Allura bounce around the room and for them to get ready. It was rare to see Allura so excited, but she knew the reason why she was.

It was the first time they were going to really unwind since school had started. All of them were swamped with projects, assignments, and extra work of their majors that none of them had ever had the chance to catch up on old times. Having been friends since high school did that to people, even with the age differences in their home away from home. A small smile tugged at the corners of her lips, glad to see Allura so relaxed. She had been grieving for a while when her father had passed away just a few months ago. It made things difficult to really talk about fun activities when Allura decided to throw herself into schoolwork and her extracurriculars.