Burned

Pidge sat at the park by the dorms at a worn picnic table, waiting for Rick to show up. She was a little early, she knew, but still, to feel well enough that she could at least walk around the park was good enough. (She was still nauseous but the medicine helped alleviate it.) Nearby, she could see Allura and Shiro waiting for her to finish and in case she needed them. Matt left briefly for drinks and would be returning soon. Sitting under the shade of a tree, she twiddled and messed with her phone games until she noticed him from the corner of her eye.

She was about to rise when Rick shook his head, "No, it's okay, you're still recovering, right?"

Relieved, she gave a small smile. "Thanks." Inwardly, she wondered if this was going to be easy or as hard as some people made this to be. But, with the two of them only dating for scarcely a week, it wasn't going to be difficult.

"So, what's up?" he asked. He sat down across from her with an expectant smile.

She scratched her cheek, bowing her head with uncertainty, "Well, there's no easy way to say this so I'll just get straight to the point: I think it's time we went our separate ways."

In retrospective, she would've rambled her way over to the topic at hand, but decided not to drag this out longer than necessary. The quicker she ended this, the sooner she could get to decide what to do with the life that's slowly becoming a genuine human being. (A fact which still amazed her when she woke up this morning.) She knew it would only be respectful to both parties if she just broke things off with Rick so he wouldn't be saddled with a person that was both her friend and one she held feelings for; for Keith, so he would get the chance to be a father—if he wanted to. At the very least, discuss whether or not she should keep the baby with him and the arrangements that came with either option.

Rick frowned and pulled away. Incredulous, his voice was filled with simmering disbelief and bewilderment, "What?"

Pidge sighed. She knew this was going to be hard, but this was harder than she thought it was going to be by the sound of his voice. After all, they had only been going out for a few days—a week—at best. There honestly shouldn't be any sort of strong levels of attachment.

She pursed her lips and her brows furrowed. "I said we're breaking up, Rick. Look, you're a nice guy and it's really cool that you thought nice of me to even ask someone like me out. And I'm really sorry that we had to end it so soon." She truly was. Rick was nice from what she had seen. Well, in the classroom anyway. However, she knew next to nothing about him. (Though she could've fixed that if she really wanted to.)

He shook his head, a hand running through his hair, "Wow. Dumped in less than a week, huh?"

Pidge winced. It's not like she wanted to end the relationship. She genuinely wanted to give Rick a chance, but it's not fair to him to be saddled with a girl who's pregnant and so early in the relationship. In fact, she wasn't even remotely comfortable with the idea of trying to trust an absolute stranger with something this big when she had her own family to rely on. And even if that wasn't the case, she had Allura and the rest of the gang if necessary. She knew them longer and better than anyone else as did they to her.

But, still, that tone of voice he carried didn't quite sit well with her. She had expected better.

"Rick, I'm sorry it's come to this, but something's come up and I'm not—"

"I'm not trustworthy enough to try and help you out?"

Her eyes narrowed. "We just started going out. You barely know anything about me and I barely know you. Please understand that I had something important come up and I just can't balance a relationship at the same time."