Together

Pidge wasn't surprised that even after that quiet plea in the car, Matt didn't have the heart in him to tell them about the police's involvement. Later, after the movie and when they were lounging around on the beach building sandcastles and burying Hunk and Shiro in the sand, Matt sat down next to Pidge while everyone else was off playing in the water with a frisbee.

"I'll tell you that the brakes cut with a purpose," Matt had stated quietly. His gaze was watching the others splash each other instead of using the Frisbee. Keith shook his head, and Lance immediately took a bucket that they were using for sandcastles earlier and dumped water on the other. With a scowl, he immediately took the Frisbee he was holding to make a big splash at him in return.

"Yeah, I kinda figured that out when you were trying not to panic when we were going at fifty-five miles per hour," Pidge had retorted. But her voice softened, so she didn't sound so harsh. "What else is there?"

"Not much else," Matt said with a shrug. "They asked me a bunch of questions about the people that we know and if it was possible if anyone could hold a grudge against us."

"And this can't be shared with everyone else?"

Matt shook his head. "I would, but it'd spoil the vacation. They'd ask questions, bounce theories, and probably forget the fact we're on vacation. Lance, Hunk, and Keith took time off work so they could specifically come out here. Shiro has to work and train the moment he gets back and Allura has this huge corporate thing she needs to attend before the semester starts again."

Pidge could see his point. With how everyone was, there was no doubt in her mind they'd forget everything to make sure that both of them were safe and would root out every scenario before they'd let themselves relax again. And as much as she had her questions to ask, she knew that this was the calm before the storm and the only sense of peace that any of them would have before the next semester of school rolled around.

Matt was right, in the end, as much as she hated to admit it, but that didn't mean she'd keep her mouth shut when someone finally wanted the same kind of answers she wanted.

While there was an underlying tension of questions that demanded answers, they tried to push past the issue and have fun while they could. And for the most part, it worked.

It wasn't until they were packing and had to use a rental car that Allura finally had enough. Since, for the most part, Pidge had kept relatively quiet about the whole situation.

"Alright, spill," Allura demanded the moment they were all standing outside and preparing to get into their cars.

"Allura, this—" Shiro tried to stop her.

"No, I need to know what kind of mess we're getting into." She crossed her arms. "This silence and waiting it out and finding out when we get back is ridiculous. Why were the police asking us questions about your car accident?"

Keith stopped packing the car to turn and lean against the car. Pidge stood just off to the side of him and sighed.

"I want to know before we drive off in our cars that could be endangering all of us."

Matt shook his head. "Hunk, Keith, and I went over every inch of all the cars, and they're—"

"We might as well talk about it, Matt," Pidge said. "If they know, it might just be easier for us."

Matt pinched the bridge of his nose before looking up at the sky. He straightened and placed his hands on his hips. "You asked for this, Allura, but I don't think any of you will be happy with what I've been trying to avoid since we're still on vacation."

"At this point, I don't think we care so much," Lance pointed out. "I mean, yeah, it's great that you're caring about us and our time off from whatever it is we have in our lives, but this is more important than that. It's you guys."