•1•

2005

2005

"I can't find my shoes. Where the hell are my shoes?!" I shout, as I scramble across the landing in my underwear in search of them. It was prom night, and I had exactly twenty minutes before Matty came to pick me up.

"Sweetheart-"

"Yeah, mum. I'm almost done" I cut her off. My stress level already sky high without anything else thrown at me right now.

Now too occupied knelt down on the floor, searching under my bed for the missing left shoe, I miss words being exchanged between my mum and best friend and don't realise footsteps are heading up to my bedroom until amused eyes are watching me.

"I don't think that's the dress code for tonight, Hayels. At least wear a skirt and bra, maybe? Style it out" Matty jokes from the doorway just as I reach and grab at something almost out of reach.

I freeze on the spot, sending him a playful scowl before getting to my feet and placing on my shoes. Not at all fazed that my best friend was now stood in front of me as I stand only in my knickers and bra - hey, at least they were matching for once.

"Like you can talk, t-shirt and jeans, really?" I hit back with an eye roll. Making him look down at himself as I pass him to retrieve my dress from its hanger.

"Um, band practice. And like I said, like I was ever going to that cliche bullshit" Matty scoffed. It's not just that it was "cliche bullshit" in his words, it's the fact it was to do with school altogether. This guy skipped and skived enough of that already.

"You know you were meant to be ready half hour ago, right?" He follows me into the bathroom. His only aim to now wind me up and stress me out furthermore. With a grin etched across his face.

I spin on my heels to face him, just now realising this night should be spent with my oldest friend. "Please come!"

- Or maybe down to the fact my biggest  crush had asked me to the prom.

Matty quickly scoffs. "Got some pre-nerves hitting you there, have we?" He chuckles, shooting a wriggling finger in my face. "He's the one who should be a bag of nerves, Hayley, you're a nine"

I frown at his last word.

"A catch"

My scowl deepens, still playing hurt.

"A hoot!" He grins.

"A nine?" I snap.

"Only because I'll always be the one you need" he winks. Knowing how corny he's being right now.

"Oh. My. God!" I complain, fighting against a smile. My hands shove at his body to get him through the door so I can finish getting ready in peace.

"Okay, I'm going" he chimes in a sing song. Grinning at me once again.

I struggle to get the dress over my head but just manage it as Matthew suddenly stops in his tracks and turns back to face me. "Oh, and you really do look amazing" he says, all humour gone, before dipping his head and vanishing before I even have chance to react.