•11•

Instantly, the white powder irritates my nose and flies to the back of my throat as joe scoops up another small mountain on his key for Jess, then repeats for himself.

He nods at me, watching me, as if waiting for me to say something.

"Thanks" is all I say, not knowing what do say in this situation.

"You good? You like it?" He asks as his girlfriend heads off to dance again.

I sigh, realising a calming sensation is suddenly whooshing through my body.

"Honestly?" I smile, "yeah" i say nodding. "I do."

"Honestly, it's the best drug you'll ever get your hands on. It keeps you up, alert. Happy. Just give us a shout when you want another, I got a gram on me" he winks at me again, placing his hand on my arm before heading back for Jess.

My phone vibrating against my leg in my pocket, pulls me away from everything suddenly.

It's Matty!

Shit. I forgot to text him back.

"Hiiiii" I chime down the phone. Already aware I seemed more chatty and upbeat than usual.

"So your fingers are broken or something?" He hits sarcastically. "Gotta be the only reason, seeing as you haven't messaged your favourite person back"

"But Ross hasn't text me" I joke. Hearing him scoff down the phone, causing me to giggle.

"Oh, that's how it is, huh? He laughs.

Ignoring his words. I speak up instead. Feeling overly happy, almost on a buzz suddenly. "I'm having the best time here!" I tell him, as I scurry past bodies to get outside so I can hear and speak to him properly.

"Yeah?" His voice is now somewhat flat. "What you been up to then?" He asks, sounding half amused, as though he can tell I'm intoxicated.

"Where are you?" I fire quickly. Dismissing his question again. Noticing he sounds like he's in a car as I can hear a light humming in the background.

"In the car. Where are you?" He fires just as quickly.

I giggle at his reply. "In a house. Well technically, I'm in a garden right now"

"You sound happy?" He says, that flat tone to his voice again.

His comment angers me suddenly, unexpectedly. Reminded of earlier. That picture of him.

"You looked happy on that picture" I hit back defensively.

"I am. Are you not?"

Before I can even reply, not sure how I would have answered that question, whether to lie or tell the truth of my misery here without him, joe catches my attention from the side. Holding the bag of substance up through the window before his body disappears for a few short seconds, then he's joining me at the door, having thrown it open with so much force it bangs against the wall and nearly takes us out, causing us to both break into a loud fit of laughter.

"We're doing a line. Want another?" He practically shouts over the music. Not realising he doesn't need to speak so loud as he's right next to me now. Making me giggle again.

"Who's that?" Matty fires before I have chance to do or say anything. "A line? A line of what?"

I keep my eyes on Joe, who nods his head back to gesture me following him before he heads back inside.

"I swear to god, Hayley, if you're doing any sort of drug-"

"I have to go. I'll speak to you later" I tell him. Instantly cutting off the call and going after Joe.