•2•

"What? Quit looking at me like that, dweeb" I continue applying more lipstick and blusher to my face with not having time with Matty hurrying me out, claiming I should never keep a guy waiting

"You're just so easy to wind up" he states, throwing me a wide grin as he keeps his focus on the road. Pleased with himself.

"I'm so nervous" I mutter, more to myself. But obviously he hears. And once again must feel as though he has to pay me some compliment from my lack of self confidence.

"What have I told you-"

The quick snap of my head instantly cuts him off, making him chuckle.

"A nine" he mouths.

"Shut up" I mouth back.

"Fine. Add a ninety nine, point, before that nine, then" he winks.

"You don't have to do this Matty" I sigh.

"Actually I do, strict instructions from both our parents. Ride her there and back" he says through a nod. Playing stupid.

"You know that's not what I-"

Once again Matthew Healy is throwing me that God damn annoying face, as though he's half deep in thought, half mocking me.

"Just stop stressing woman. I'm not saying this because I have to, not even because I want to, it's just facts" he shrugs, shooting me a wary smile now. "Anyway, shut up, I need to talk to you about something later"

"You're finally coming out as gay?"

"You'd be screwed cause your date tonight would want me if I did" he hit playfully. "It's do with BIGSLEEP-"

"Why you always gotta say the bands name, rather than saying 'the band'?" I cut in with a laugh.

"Because it's my band and I can do what I want" he smirks, ever so Matty like.

"How's all that coming along then?" I ask. He always talked about becoming famous by his music. Him and the guys had put some much work, time and years to make it a success. And I never thought for one second they'd never get that chance. Not that I'd tell him just how amazing they were - he already full aware. Though I secretly always admired this boys confidence.

Ever since we were little he's always been that cocky, arrogant, annoying so and so. Always the same.

He was always picked for the lead roles in school plays. His band always participated and won every years talent show. Gaining him and the boys a groupie of girls who would gush over them every damn lesson. Never leaving Mr rockstar here short of girlfriends.

"Really good. It's great, in fact" he eventually answers me, having now turned the radio down. "We may or may not be in the process of being signed" he says casually, before bursting into laughter at my sudden shocked expression.

My hands clap together as I wriggle in my seat giddily. The happiness for my best friend radiating from me. Causing him to grin happily back at me.

"Yeah, it's awesome. But there's.... kind of a catch" he mutters. His eyes now back on the road as he turns to pull up onto the driveway of the hotel where the prom was being held.

"A catch?" I repeat. Noticing my best friends smile vanishing as he now pulls his bottom lip in to chew. "What you mean a catch?" I push when he doesn't add anything else on.

My heart suddenly drops with apprehension.

He shuts the car off. His shoulders slumping now as he sighs and gives me a half worried look. "Matt-"

"Not tonight. Not now" his eyes scan around outside of the car, stopping when they land on someone. "Luke's waiting for you" he points out and suddenly presses the car horn and rolls the window down. "Alright loser, look after my girl tonight, won't you?!" He shouts across at him.

I watch as Luke waves and proceeds to head this way.

"Put the window up, Matty" I demand. Suddenly not in the mood for this. Not even my high school crush who I'd waited years to go on a date with could perk me up. This came first. Matty and our friendship was always priority. And I now couldn't shift this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach since his words.

"Go to the prom, Hayley" Matty challenged back. Refusing to budge. As stubborn as always.

He exits the car before me, and I watch on as him and my date exchange words.

"So make sure she's out here by no later than 11, yeah?" Matty instructs. Giving one of his famous deathly glares, showing he wasn't fucking around when it came to this or me.

Luke nods nervously and quickly averts his eye line to the side to a group of others.

Leaving me only just noticing Matty's the one to walk round and open the door for me. "Can't get the staff, can you?" He scoffs. More annoyed than me here that Luke wasn't the one to showcase his manners and help me out of the car.

I take Matty's hand and vacate the car, giving him a cold, stern "thank you" but still refusing to look at him now. Still pissed off with his attitude and behaviour mere minutes ago. The fact he's just sprung this on me but won't actually put my mind at ease and just tell me.

I go to stride straight past him, but I'm stopped as he suddenly taps his cheek with his finger. Fighting against a smirk.

I roll my eyes and peck his cheek quickly. "You're such a dick" I whisper as I pass him.

"Love you too, be safe!" He suddenly calls out with purpose to humiliate and annoy me further here.

He stands waving boldly like a lunatic, watching as we make it inside. His car screeches off the second I'm out of view, sure to be showing off in front of everyone, as per usually.