•3•

For the fourth time tonight, within the space of an hour, I'm sat at a table all on my own again. Clueless where my date had wandered off to.

My mind had been occupied all night, trying to come to a conclusion of this 'catch' Matty spoke about. The look he gave me as he mentioned it. The drop in his voice, the look in his eyes. Like it was bad news. Like I wasn't going to take it lightly.

I was aware this was bothering me far more than it probably should. For all I know, this catch could be something as lame and minor as them having to change their bands name. But I dunno, something just doesn't sit right with me and is telling me it's going to possibly affect both of us, maybe even jeopardise our friendship.

I'd been friends with this boy since primary school. He'd just moved over from Newcastle and needed a friend. Someone to show him around. Unfortunately for me - at the time - the teacher chose me. I well behaved, thriving student of the class. There to show him the ropes. But in time, I found he was nothing but a trouble maker. His only aim was to break the rules. The complete opposite to me. Polar opposites. My mum would complain to the school that this boy was bringing my grades down and ruining my potential. But I knew different. Because Matty was the one who showed me it's ok to be a little different. To have fun and let loose. To say rules are made to be broken. He changed me in ways I never thought I could be. And I'd always repay him by making sure he always got a good grade - so be it by cheating a couple of times. It was always like that for us from the get-go, 'you do this for me and I'll do that for you'.

I pull myself out of my Matty day dream...
All of this was suddenly making me realise how much I was missing my best friend right now. We'd always done everything together in the past. Though I did feel he'd been slacking these past couple of months with being so busy with his band.

And with that, I pull my phone out.
It was pointless even being here now, as I spot Luke with his friends and a group of girls. Laughing loudly and getting obnoxious as they begin throwing food at random people's heads. Upsetting people.

I sigh. Suddenly realising this was a mistake.

Come get me please!X

He replies almost immediately.

Everything ok?? 💋

Apart from my date binning me 2 chat 2 every hot girl in our year.... yeah 🙄 super!X

I tap my phone in my hand impatiently when I find Matthew seems to have left me on read.

I head straight to the bathroom. Suddenly aware my emotions are all over the place tonight - my period must be due!

But I'm stopped in my tracks. "Hey, you just vanished?!" Luke's body glides in front of me to block my path. - he's drunk.

I scoff quietly to myself. "You mean from the table you've left me sitting at all night, alone? While you chase after every bit of skirt in here?" I hit back. Finally sticking up for myself.

"Oh, don't be like that, it's such a turn off" he accuses. "If I knew you were this much hard word I'd have told the guys to keep the 20 and took someone else" he hits back and attempts to walk off from me.

My hand reaches out to grab his and stop him. His words not even fully processed in my head. "What? What is that supposed to mean?" I glare. That uneasy feeling hitting me in the chest suddenly, making me feel nauseous suddenly. Immediately aware eyes were watching us.

"Come on Hayley, everyone knows you've had a crush on me since like year seven!" He gloats, throwing me a belittling, half sided grin. "It was a bet, alright. Just a bet. You see that little blonde hot number over there..." he points out.

Of course I look. Of course I know her. And I find It's Gemma, Matty's ex.

"That's my standards"

I drop my head and nod. Accepting his words. Believing them... wondering what I ever did to just deserve this now.

His words. This situation. The fact I feel like the whole room is now watching and listening.... laughing at me. I dip my head and run to the toilets in humiliation. More angry with myself than anyone that I believed this guy would ever take an interest in me.

MATTHEW PLEASE!??!!?

PLEASE COME GET ME 💔
Every1 is laughing at me! 😢😢 xx

Ten minutes cooped up, in a complete state with tear streaked make up and my own conscience still tormenting me, I finally realise no one is coming to my rescue. Not even my best friend.

I stand and hastily make my way back out, too scared to lift my head and face everyone's stares.

"Hayels?" That voice I needed to hear right now calls out. Taking me by surprise.

My head shoots up so fast, I could have snapped my neck.

He's here. And in a suit?.... but he's here! He came.

My feet set off so fast to get to him, they stumble and he has to catch me. Immediately he's cupping my face, taking in my tear stained cheeks. But I'm instantly trying to drop my head, not wanting him to see me like this. Not needing the embarrassment and reminder again of what had happened.

But again my face is in his soft hands as I continue to wrap my arms round his body and try and turn invisible. Again he's forcing me to look up at him.

"What's he done?" He asks calmly. Too calm for him in this situation to know that means he's feeling the complete opposite.

I shake my head, pressing into his chest again. Wishing to just leave now.

He takes a sharp intake of breath, before muttering "right then!"

Matty suddenly steps back from me, my hand is suddenly taken in his as he begins taking huge strides towards Luke and his ex. Dragging me along behind him.

"Matty, please don't do this" I beg quickly when I realise what he's doing.

This is a huge mistake.