⿻ K. AKAASHI - "prom night" ✩

————P R O M  N I G H T keiji akaashi

————
P R O M N I G H T
keiji akaashi

w a r n i n g s : none
c a t e g o r y : fluff
————

School should not make you pay for an experience they put no effort into making moderately enjoyable. That was your opinion surrounding the grotesquely romanticized idea of prom. It wasn't some passing teenage angst of high rebellion, the event itself truly was miserable. You knew this because you were sitting right in the middle of it.

         At an empty table seldom decorated with stray pieces of the graduating class' year confetti and stars, cliché at best, and an off-white table cloth. It was that shade due to being reused every year and fruit punch stains were hard to remove. There used to be a centerpiece, but after a riveting game of right-left, it belonged to a new owner who had taken it far from its original location.

         A Night Under the Stars, how tacky and wildly misplaced since last you checked the school's gym had no skylight to see these so called stars you were supposed to be spending the night under. At least there was air conditioning; you counted your blessings in the form of mildly sweaty guys in tuxedos whose odor was kept to a minimum because of it.

         The only reason you came to prom was because your friends had practically begged you to do so as if their livelihoods depended on your attendance. Funny, only because those so-called friends had left you alone for nearly the entire night, preferring to spend every moment with their dates and the dance floor. You thought this would be a fancy girls night and didn't trouble yourself in finding a date. No friends, no date, no dancing, barely stomach-able food (everyone always raved that prom was only worth it because of the food— they lied).

         To make matters worse the doors to the gym were closely monitored by teachers. No student was to be released early prior to the event's conclusion of 11pm, unless properly signed out by a parent. You were stuck for a whole five hours of torture.

         On the table, you put your head down and strummed your fingers along the off white table cloth. The sounds you could hear were a mixture of first years manically laughing since this would be their first major high school event, your fellow second years acting too cool to show that they were enjoying themselves just as avidly as the first years, and the third years soaking up their last moments together. It was a wild collection of people in one confined space and overwhelming for one person left alone.

         "Alright Fukurodani Academy! It's been a pleasure serving as your DJ for the evening. You guys are amazing!"

         The students actually excited to be here, cheered and clapped, further adding to the excitement.

         The DJ nodded and turned the music down slightly for the announcement, "I just wanted to let everyone know the final songs of the evening are coming up and I figured we should slow things down a bit. Let's savor the night shall we? Ah wait, what was the theme for tonight? A night under the stars? Well let's set the mood with this timeless classic. This is Perfect by Ed Sheeran. Grab that someone special and hold them just a little closer."