A place to stay! Peridot makes an offer.

(Y/N) POV

As I stood there, basking in this newfound peace, I was brought crashing down to reality when I heard that 'Voice' say "How long till you grow tired of it all?". Ah, that's right, the maniac in my head is becoming more aware; and I don't know what that means or what to do about it. I'm drawn out of my self-reflection by Steven clearing his throat. (Y/N): "Yes?" Steven: "You've been staring out at the ocean for a while, and while I'd love to let you keep doing that, we have stuff to do." (Y/N): "Ocean? Nevermind; talk to me Steven. What's it like here on 'Earth'?" We started to walk along the beach. Steven: "In brief: it's free. Liberating. Here, a gem can be what they want to be." (Y/N): "I don't entirely consider that a good thing really." Steven: "What?!" (Y/N): "We can deal with my cynicism later; give me the long version."

Steven looked like he wanted to keep talking, but then sighed and said, "That will take much longer. We have a program we've nearly finished called Little Homeschool-" Bismuth suddenly interrupted. Bismuth: "It was nearly finished till (Y/N) tore most of it down with his bare hands!" (Y/N): "Yeah, I'm good at that." Bismuth: "That wasn't a compliment." I turned slightly to look at her. (Y/N): "I didn't thank you did I?" Turning back to Steven I told him to please continue. Steven: "Right, well, when it's finished, we'll tell you in depth all about life on Earth." (Y/N): "Like an Earth Orientation course?" Steven blinked at me, pulled out a small rectangular device from a pocket, and typed something into it. He read what it said for a brief moment before looking back up at me and saying "Yeah, something like that."

(Y/N): "Ok, so how long will that take?" Steven looked me up and down. Steven: "Well, with your help-" Bismuth: "That's not gonna work Steven." Steven turned to face the Crystal Gems, who all had apprehensive looks on their faces. Steven: "Why not!?" They turned to look at one another, before returning their gazes to Steven. Lapis: "It's great that you can put so much faith in him Steven but... We can't, not yet." Steven: "But-" Pearl: "I know you mean well but we can't know for sure that he does." Steven: "You're not-" Amethyst: "You heard that weird 'voice' thing in his head! What happens if he relapses!?" At that Steven suddenly looked unsure. Steven: "Well... I mean-" Bismuth: "Besides, he'd slow us down more than he'd help." I raised my eyebrow at that. (Y/N): "What's that supposed to mean?" Bismuth turned to me and looked me in the eyes. Bismuth: "You tell me right now that you don't expect the others to run away terrified of you if you just showed up right now." Sigh. (Y/N): "You're right." Steven looked distraught. Steven: "Come on! People need to see that he's not a threat to us anymore!" (Y/N): "Steven, right now, you are the only one that thinks that. That includes me." Steven: "But-" Garnet put her hand on Steven's shoulder, then adjusted her visor. Garnet: "Listen Steven. I know you want us all to get along; and we will. But right now, the only futures I can see where he shows up to help with reconstruction end in disaster. We need to give the other gems time to recover from his attack on their own." Steven looked upset, but understood that the fusion was right.

As Steven and the others talked about 'what to do with him', I felt someone staring at me. I turned to meet the inquisitive gaze of the Peridot, who has been looking me over this whole time. (Y/N): "Yes?" She jumped a little and made an adorable squeak of surprise. I like this Peridot, she isn't bothering to hide her curiosity and interest behind a veneer of 'objectivity'. She cleared her throat and said, "I was merely inspecting your form. Having never seen a male gem before I wished to see what differences in solid light projection there were between you and a typical example of an Iolite." I smirk at this. (Y/N): "So you admit you were checkin' me out?" Her eyes shot wide open and she blushed heavily. Too easy. Then we heard Steven ask, "Ok, but where is he going to stay till Little Homeschool is rebuilt?" and Peridot's eyes lit up. Oh? Peridot: "He can live with me and Lapis for the time being!" The others turned to look at her, surprised at her suggestion. Lapis looked taken aback. Lapis: "What!?" Peridot opened her mouth, stopped, turned toward me, then gestured for Lapis to follow her as she ran behind a rock. Lapis rolled her eyes and flew over.

Steven: "Huh, I didn't expect that to happen." (Y/N): "Me neither. And here I thought this would be like with my platoon all over again." Steven looked confused. Steven: "What?" (Y/N): "I used to practice with other Iolites in sparring matches. But I would always win. At first it was pretty fun winning all the time. But, since none of them could really challenge me, it got boring. So I started to get angry that they were so 'weak'. I was young, barely older than a century. One day, after a particularly pathetic match I... did something I regret." Steven looked concerned. Steven: "What did you do?" (Y/N): "I don't want to talk about it. But after that, they never let me spar with them again." Steven opened his mouth as if to say something, but the words died in his throat as he looked at me.

Lapis POV

I flew behind the rock that Peridot had ran behind. Lapis: "Peridot, what are you thinking! He's a menace!" Peridot: "So was I at one point! If what Steven's told me is right, so were you! We got better!" I blushed, remembering how I stole the world's oceans. Lapis: "Fine, but why do you want us to let him live at the barn with us? We just rebuilt it; what if he breaks it?" Peridot looked away and... blushed? Peridot: "He's interesting. I want the chance to study him up close. Besides, I really think we can help him. You heard that... 'voice' thing in the temple, the same as me! I think he feels like he'll only ever hurt those around him, and we can show him that's not true." Now I felt a little guilty at being so quick to judge. Lapis: "When you put it that way, we really aren't so different, are we?" Peridot smiled. Peridot: "Exactly! Come on, let's go!" She ran out from behind the rock to talk to (Y/N). I stood there for a moment, looking at his handsome face. I could see a familiar cold distance in his eyes. Like he was afraid to get too close to anyone. If we left him alone, I bet he wouldn't really try to get to know this planet. He'd just stay by himself until he found a way to leave... just like... me. I'm not gonna stand by and let someone else make the same mistakes I made! I fly over to him and land next to Peridot.

(Y/N) POV

The Peridot ran over to me, with an excited look on her face. Peridot: "It's settled! You can stay with us until Little Homeschool is rebuilt!" The Lapis Lazuli flew out from behind the rock to land next to Peridot. Lapis: "Yeah, just, try not to destroy the barn please?" She was looking at me different. Before she was mistrustful, now she seemed more friendly. Like she wanted to get to know me. (Y/N): "Fair deal. Where is this 'barn'?" The Peridot grabbed my hand and tried (and failed) to drag me to the teleporter in the temple. Peridot: "This way." She grunted and groaned with the strain of trying to pull me along. I closed my hand around hers and lifted her up with ease. I started walking to the teleporter. (Y/N): "This way right?" Peridot: "Y-yes." She started struggling to escape my gentle grasp, but was far too weak. I could hear the Lapis snicker behind me. We stepped onto the teleporter and I let go of her, and she nearly went flying off my hand with how hard she was tugging to free her hand. She climbed back onto the teleporter and pouted at me for a second. (Y/N): "I'm not gonna lie. You are the cutest Peridot I've ever met." She blushed heavily at this and started limply beating her hands against my abdomen (as I was too tall for her to reach my chest). Lapis was giggling up a storm next to me. (Y/N): "You have an adorable laugh Lapis." She suddenly stopped giggling and looked embarrassed. Peridot pointed at her with a mischievous grin. Peridot: "Hah! Not so funny when you're the one getting complimented is it!" Wait, what? (Y/N): "Am I not supposed to give compliments, is that an Earth thing?" They both looked away embarrassed. Peridot and Lapis: "No." Well that's confusing. A beam of light enveloped the teleporter, and we were whisked away to somewhere else.

To be continued

(A/N) I updated the tags to be more clear about things within the story.