Chapter 18: A Dragon and a Nightmare

Unedited

The ride back was slow, is calming a term for it? You sat inside the sleigh, leaning against the side while your wings dangled over the edge. It was quiet, quieter than usual. North simply stood, the reigns in his hands and darkness clouding his once vibrant eyes. Tooth sat behind you, staring off into the horizon with a sad smile, it was so delicate and tried so desperately to fill her with happiness, yet it never came. Bunny sat across from you, his eyes barely closed, as if he was asleep.

Everything around you was dark, the clouds, the sky.... everything just seemed to lose it's colour. You couldn't help but just, feel the sadness and disappointment radiating from them.

You sat up gently, bringing your knees to your chest as your wings fell inside the sleigh. Even they were losing colour, your once snow white feathers had dimmed slightly, it wasn't much, but it was definitely noticeable up close. You groaned in despair as you rested your chin on your knees, thoughts racing through your mind.

Clouds hung overhead and the sun towered over this wasteland of water, it was as if the sun too, was watching your journey. But was it cheering you on? No one will ever know...

You rested your feet back to the hardwood of the deck when suddenly, a seizing pain ruptured through your body, sending shivers up through your spine. Your teeth clenched, wincing as you brought your free hand to your sight.

Crimson liquid dripped from your fingertips, mixing in with the fabric of your ripped gloves. It was thick and blotchy, yet had no problem running down your nails. Your lips trembled as you faced away from the others and lifted your shirt up, only to reveal the dark, blood stained bandages that wrapped around you. You'd forgotten those were there..,

"You're bleeding..."

You looked towards Bunny and cracked an apologetic smile, "it looks like I just popped a few stitches, it's nothing I can't handle."

You chuckled quietly, holding your un-bloodied gloved palm out, only for a roll of bandages to appear. Bunny watched as you cautiously began to unwrap the gauze around your abdomen, only to take the fresh set from your hand.

"What are you-"

Before you had the chance to finish, he gently spun you around to face him. Tooth eyed his actions with a glimmer of stardust in her violet orbs, watching as he finished unwrapping the bloody bandages from your torso. Let's just say, he was probably trying so hard not to fluster at the sight of your bare skin.

You were right though, it seems only a few of the stitches popped, so that was alright on your behalf. Carefully, he began to wrap your stomach in the gauze, making sure he didn't accidentally touch the wound. You mumbled to yourself as you sat there, letting him do his thing.

After a few minutes of wrapping layer after layer, the blood flow finally ceased. You sighed in content and let your shirt fall over the new bandages, letting the older set engulf in flames.

"Thank you," you murmured, standing to your feet, "I owe you one."

"It ain't a problem, sheila-" before he could finish, you leaped from the sleigh. Even in pain, you managed to glide down to the water's surface, welcoming the creatures from the depths.

You slowly let your bloodied glove and hand sift through the salty water, ridding you of the crimson that tainted your fingertips. You chuckled silently, welcoming the creatures that swam alongside you. It was calming, the water splashing and running down your arms.

Cracking a small frown, you stripped the stained glove from your hand and ran it through the water, cleansing it to it's former glory. You stared down into the bare skin of your palm, fear and disgust filling your eyes. The darkness was spreading right before your very own eyes. The grey patches that were once lighter, had extended outwards, reaching your wrists and your fingertips.