Chapter 2 - Midnight Snack

"So..." I uttered as I began fiddling through Lilly's large collection of DVDs. "Which one do you wanna watch?"

Lilly looked up from her phone for a second. "Uh... a horror one!" She declared, trying to find where she was before I had so rudely interrupted her leisurely reading of text messages.

I continued my search, trying to pick all the horror movies and display them on the floor for her. Honestly, horror movies scared me and sometimes really got to me to the point where I'd have to sleep with a light on... But the adrenaline rush you get during a film after the jumpscares have been and gone? It's a great feeling.

Attempting to filter out all other movies with no thanks to Lilly, I settled on the top three of the night. "Okay, I've picked three pretty decent ones," I grabbed them, clearing my throat before putting them on the floor in front of me.

"Jaws", I announced first, taking her initial reaction as a negative response. "Blair Witch Project," I held it up, followed by "Dora The Explorer: The Movie" to which Lilly burst out laughing.

"That's a horror movie if I've ever seen one," she remarked, giggling and setting her phone down on her bed.

It was nice to just sit and relax with Lilly, getting ready to watch a movie like back in the good old days when we'd have all the time in the world to just unwind at the weekends. But I couldn't help but think about what Jake and Emily were up to. It caused these nervous butterflies along with a clenching feeling in my heart which I'd only ever felt when thinking about him. It could have been jealousy, fear, or even both.

"I think Blair Witch Project is a good start," Lilly broke my train of thought.

"A good start?"

"Yeah, we can watch something else on Netflix afterwards," she continued. "Maybe something a little more light-hearted. Like... the Avengers! Then we can stare at Chris Hemsworth or something."

"Wow, you know me so well. Kinda ship him and Captain America," I responded, slightly embarrassed at what I had just bestowed upon the world. Or, rather, just Lilly.

Lilly scoffed. "Captain America and Iron Man all the way."

I rolled my eyes at her, sliding the DVD into her brother's old Xbox, which he had replaced in favour of a newer one. Lilly only really used it as a DVD player or for YouTube and Netflix. Occasionally for Grand Theft Auto as well, in which she'd sit and run helpless pedestrians over for hours with manic laughter in between, no less.

"God, this is going to make me shit myself," I said, regretting the movie choice before it had even begun.

"Oh come on, this is a mild horror movie. It's quite funny to me."

"Just wait till the Blair Witch hears that!" I retaliated, pouting with my lower lip.

I looked over at the clock in her room, seeing that it was already nine o'clock. My heart sank at the realisation. "Oh shit, I should really be getting home."

"No, stay!" She protested as I got up, seizing my left arm in her hands. "Let's have a sleepover!"

I considered it for a second. "But I haven't even brought anything to sleep in or-"

"Borrow some of mine! Come on, it'll be fun!" She pleaded, but it didn't take much pleading because there was no way I was walking home alone in the dark.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I'll stay. But I get to choose the pyjamas I wear!" I called out as she excitedly ran over to her dresser, flinging all sorts of lingerie and pyjamas around her room.

"Try these on, trust me!" She pushed them towards my chest, forcing me to grab them.

I looked down at them, and they were definitely a good pick. But, I had to hold my defensive position at this point."Ugh, whatever. They better be good," I said, leaving her room and entering the bathroom to get changed.