Chapter 9 - We Live in a Society

"This is gonna be so fun!" Lilly squealed, waving her hands around a little, practically nearly slapping her brother in the face, which actually might have been intentional.

"Hands on the wheel, Lilly," Jake reminded her, leg jittering up and down frantically as he looked at her hands and then back out the window.

She scoffed. "I can't believe I'm receiving driving tips from you right now."

"I can't wait to go and see what cute summer outfits they've got going on," I interjected as splashes of blue and green whizzed by the window next to me. Around twelve hours had gone by since Jake and I made out in a field in the middle of the night. Fireworks were still pumping and popping around within me as I remembered each detail clear as day. Twelve hours had also gone by since the last time I heard an utterance from him in my direction.

A bump in the car sent us all flying out of our seats for a split second and I grabbed onto the little roof handle for reassurance.

"Jesus Christ, Lilly," Jake huffed.

Lilly was a way better driver than her brother in all departments. I could tell because she actually knew how to stop at a red light. I was sat in the back with Emily who also hadn't spoken to Jake all that much since their argument the night before. Understanding her was impossible. She was mentally all over the place and her tolerance levels were at an all-time low. Seemed like it was only Lilly and me who were actually able to communicate like normal humans that day.

"I know, right? They're gonna have some cute mini skirts," she replied.

"Cute shorts," I continued.

"Hot crop tops..." She went on, taking a left and heading straight for the Lunar Mall.

"Hot boys..." I whispered from behind her seat.

"Hell yeah," she continued with clear attempts to hype everyone up. It seemed that only the two of us were actually affected by it, which probably made us sound extremely annoying. The other two were just tagging along for a fun day out. Emily wanted to come regardless and Jake likely didn't feel like he could reject her wishes at that point, else he'd suffer the wrath of the evil girlfriend for another day.

We finally arrived at the large shopping centre, the white and blue coloured building unfolding into view. Lilly parked near-perfectly in one of the only empty parking spaces there were. That day was not going to be one of the calmer trips, I knew for sure.

"Looks like everyone else had the same plans as us," Emily sighed, exiting the car and slamming the door. I nodded, despite her not looking in my direction. 

"Well, the more the merrier. I wouldn't want it to be empty," Lilly said, leading us into the large, modern building.

As soon as we entered we were greeted by groups of different people our age walking around together, zipping from shop to shop, eating at the food outlets or even running up the down escalator, as one does at this very mature age.

"Aah, it's like a day in heaven. Now, where first?" Lilly asked, turning to me.

"Definitely Wavelength. The sales are supposed to be up to sixty per cent!" I grinned, grabbing Lilly's hand and pulling her after me as we ran in its direction. Lilly turned behind her and waved at Jake and Emily as we headed towards our first shop of the day.

Naturally, I made a beeline for the men's section and browsed the shirts. That was my priority that day; new shirts. "Oh, this one is so sweet," I pulled the hanger off the rack and admired the lush white t-shirt with large vertical blue stripes.

"Max, that would look so cool with these white shorts," she held them up in front of me as my eyes widened. "Yes... yes, yes, yes!" I could see the outfit coming together in my head.