Chapter 20 - Two Months Later

"No, take a right!" Lilly yelled as Jake made the correct turn just in time, causing an old lady to stick her middle finger out of her car window while shooting a dirty look our way.

Shaking her head, Lilly's right hand raced to her forehead, probably thankful that she was even alive no thanks to her brother's lack of awareness while I was shitting myself, expecting to crash at any second and nearly die... again.

"Can't believe we might not even make it to the station," she sighed hopelessly, whipping out her phone and tapping into her navigation app.

'Today was the day,' I thought. 'The day that my life would change forever, the day that I'd go on to finally start my life...'

My leg jittering probably wasn't helping Lilly's nervousness, which I could more than sense that day. It was a big step for all of us, especially with Jake's post-eighteen option.

"We're here," he announced. He adjusted his rear-view mirror and I looked into his eyes. I could tell he was smiling, trying to instil me with confidence. "Hey, you guys are gonna do great," he turned to put his hand on Lilly's right shoulder.

She looked up from her phone at him, not moving her head. Soon she was mirroring his face, letting out a warm laugh. "Well, shit. I guess this is it," she opened the car door and stepped out as the three of us grabbed the suitcases from the back of the car and made our way down to the train station.

"You got your tickets?" Jake asked, suddenly. "Because we're not going back."

I snickered. "They're on our phones now, Grandpa."

Once we'd managed to force some food down ourselves at the small cafe (I've never been good at eating really early in the morning) and then stop for a coffee in the next outlet, we finally made it over to the platform, awaiting the train's arrival on that cool September morning. I was just glad that our term dates were pretty much identical, or my parents would've had to take me, and they were already emotional wrecks that morning. Out of everyone, I could definitely count on Lilly and Jake to hold it in.

"Hey, there's Alex!" I pointed out as she walked over to us with a grin on her face. She was probably the most excited to be leaving her old life behind. I knew that she enjoyed school, but the world had big things planned for her. Lilly's smile then grew as they went in for a hug together, chatting away.

Jake watched on as they spoke. "I'm gonna miss her," he admitted, looking over at the two of them.

"Me too," I responded, slightly jealous that Alex got to spend the next three years with my best friend.

"You'll keep in touch, right?" he added, sounding somewhat delicate.

I nodded slowly but with confidence. "Of course. Lilly's like family."

"I meant with me." His selfishness laced within that utterance was extremely attractive. "Listen," he turned to me. "Max, you mean so much to me. More than I've liked any girl before. You're different, and I've never been interested in guys before," his words made me blush slightly. "But now isn't the time. Not with you moving away and all that shit."

Just hearing him be able to freely speak about his emotions like that lifted me. He finally had someone to talk to, which could make all the difference in anyone's life.

"No, no. I feel the same. I had a massive crush on you for about three years. I'm pretty sure we can wait three more. And if you realise that it's not for you, then so be it," I described, feeling fulfilled with my little speech.

"I appreciate that, Max. You really are something else," he put an arm around my shoulder and I closened the gap, when suddenly, Cameron walked around the corner with his suitcase behind him.