Chapter 4 - Trouble Date

Entering the restaurant together, Jake held the door open for Emily, and was subsequently forced to keep it open for the rest of us. Lilly rolled her eyes at him, which was probably as good as he was going to get from her. I, on the other hand, mouthed a 'thank you'. He winked in response, letting the door close itself behind me.

While Jake and Emily walked ahead and approached the waitress at the front, I watched their hands link, his thumb rubbing her index finger, and that's when it really hit me. I pulled Lilly aside for a second, tugging her arm.

"Let's try and get on with Emily. I think he really, genuinely likes her," I admitted, as much as I hated it.

"Ugh for the love of..." She put a hand to her head, probably envisioning having to actually get on with the petite blonde who was ruining her summer. "You know what? You're right. I'll try because I genuinely want to have a nice time tonight."

We continued to catch up to the others, who had gestured to us, clearly explaining our table's head count. "Yeah, just the table for four." Jake carried on talking to the waitress.

I saw the envy in her eyes when she looked down at the couple's hands locked in one another's. Funnily enough, it was a little less painful to have to share the experience with someone else, even if it was a total stranger. Jake and I had never been close friends, but one conversation was all that I needed back then, for him to catch my eye for the forseable future.

"Yep." Is all I picked up on from the conversation as I came back to reality. Jake seemed like he was keeping his conversation short. I would have preferred it if the waitress had winked at him or something just to see Emily's reaction.

"Right this way then, please." She beamed, leading us to our table in the corner of the room. We climbed a little to sit on a red and green, Italian-inspired elevated sofa that curved around the table while classic jazz music strummed out of the speakers. I was already loving the place.

Lilly and I went onto the sofa first, followed by Emily and Jake. A corner window behind us looked out into the evening scenery of the city. I could see what looked like groups of people in their early twenties heading to the local clubs.

"Damn, this place is so sweet," Lilly remarked, looking around in awe.

"It's okay. I hope the food is good." Emily said. "Don't think we're that underdressed, either."

"Yeah, I don't think we're as bad as those guys", I pointed over at a table of people who looked like they had just come back from the beach. A guy with his shirt completely unbuttoned and a girl dressed similarly to Lilly.

"So, drinks?" Jake asked, studying the alcohol section.

"Ooh..." my eyes lit up as I looked at the milkshake selection.

Lilly giggled at me. "Typical Max, you're adorable," she said, shoving me slightly.

"Adorable? Ooh, are you guys like..." Emily started but was completely cut off by Lilly bursting out laughing, which was about eighty per cent exhaling, I couldn't handle it and started laughing with her. It was more her laugh that set me off than anything.

Lilly coughed when she'd finished. "Oh, dear, God, no." She waved her hand at herself like a fan, blowing in short bursts to calm herself.

"Yeah, we're just friends," I added, as if that would help my case any further. My eyes darted to look at Jake, in hopes of catching any slight sense of reaction, one that I'd be able to pick apart, to tell if he might know, even in the slightest. But his own eyes were focused on the menu in his hands.

"Drinks, guys, drinks!" He protested.

"Chill out. You've still gotta drive home," Lilly reminded him, studying her menu.