Chapter 6 - Getting Wet

"Come on, slowpoke!" I yelled, standing next to the pool. Bathed in a purple, evening glow, I looked down into the dark depths of the pool. It was almost like looking into a great abyss, with no determinable end. Just the reflection of stars hinting at a better future.

I could hear Lilly's frustration in her voice. "I'm fucking trying!" She yelled as the pool lights suddenly turned on and that dark abyss sprung to life. It looked magical. Luminous, and somehow, so nostalgic.

My eyes literally lit up, looking down at the beauty below me. I was gonna jump in, maybe get a good run-up and cannonball when I was suddenly forced in from behind with a splash, plunging into the watery portal. Luckily, I managed to emerge.

"Hey! The hell?" I retaliated as Lilly stood, clutching her stomach with laughter.

"Oh, that was great. Hold on, let me get a good entrance." She reassembled herself, looking down at me.

"I'd do the same, but some immature little girl pushed me in." I splashed at her.

"Hey!" She leapt back with a squeak. "Shut up, I'm busy!" She snapped back, the corners of her lips turning up with mischief. She then ran from the side, leaping in at a great distance and landing right next to me, nearly knocking me out.

Her head shortly popped up above the water. "I give that... an eight out of ten."

"An eight? Fine, I'll take it. Your standards are way too high. You're just salty." She splashed me.

I splashed her in the face for being correct, which at the moment only felt fair, which made her gasp in disbelief. Retaliation was brewing within her. I could tell from her eyes, the idea was in the works, she was ready to unleash a Lilly tsunami. Pulling her arms back, she then practically hugged the water, sending small waves towards me.

"Hey that's not fair, you're stronger than me!"

"Well then, you should know better than to start a fight with me!" She carried on with her offensive onslaught, the water spraying at me from all angles.

Lilly finally stopped once she'd decided that I'd had enough. "Fine, I'm done with you, you're not worth my time." She began floating on her back in a starfish position as if she hadn't just attempted to drown me right then and there.

"Do you think that now school's finished, we're going to talk less?" I asked.

Lilly took a minute to reply. "I hope not, but what, with the grades you achieved you'll be able to attend that college you wanted," she sighed.

"I'm so sorry, Lilly." I moved from my starfish position to look at her, and she did the same. "You worked hard for those grades and you deserve to come, too." In all honesty, I'd completely forgotten about school, grades and university. It still didn't make sense as to why Lilly didn't do very well. She'd helped me revise for our exams.

Lilly shook her head slightly. "No, it was my fault. I didn't try as hard as I should have."

"I don't know anyone more strong and intelligent than you. It'll be fine. But it still doesn't make sense."

"Life doesn't make sense most of the time. But I'm just now realising that we're doing way too much talking and not enough battling," she said quickly as a wave of water splashed over me, I sunk underwater to avoid it and reached the surface once again.

"Cheeky. Trying to pull sneak attacks on me!" I raised my voice at the end, hurling a wave of water her way as she dodged backwards, flowing with the water.

I rushed against it, ready to let out another attack, but she countered it with a fatal splashing from her feet.

"Okay, okay, you win!" I yielded, feeling the water slap my already wet face.