Chapter 10

Getting closer to our destination, I felt chills. As if something were meant to feel wrong, lightning struck and shook the ground. My fingers quivered around the door handle as we neared our destination, knowing I wouldn't be any closer to what Spencer meant, but I hoped I could trust Patrick enough to tell me if I asked him. I bit my lip as the driver pulled onto a long road surrounded by tall, electric fences. "This makes me mildly uncomfortable," the driver mumbled, looking at a sign that read, "Beware! You are putting your own lives at stake beyond the point" in all caps. Spencer heard him too, looking over at me and glanced at the clock on the dash of taxi, then at the number slowly creeping higher as the driver pulled to a gate. "I got this," he said, pulling out his wallet. "What're you people even goin' to do here?" the driver had taken me by surprise and was looking back at both of us. "Something insanely stupid," Spencer added, handing the man a twenty and a ten, "Keep the change." I climbed out of the car, the weather still taking its toll on the road ahead of us with muddy paths and high grasses to each side. "Oh, boy," I pulled up my hood and looked down the road, thinking, This is going to be a God awful walk. As if Spencer heard me, he said as he shut the passenger door, throwing his backpack over his shoulder, "You're telling me." I looked back at him and pursed my lips, not feeling too up for another revealing conversation. I honestly wouldn't mind a quiet walk in the rain, but after ten minutes and we still hadn't seen any form of life, Spencer spoke the first word, "Listen, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable in the car. I just figured Patrick had told you, seeing that the two of you are so close and all," he used his teeth to pull the edge of his glove, taking it off. I shrugged. Patrick and I were close, but maybe we hadn't told each other everything. After all, no boundaries had ever really been established, and maybe it was just that factor, but I guess it just needed to be talked about. "No signal," he bit his lip, "Drat." Shoving his phone back in his pocket he took one large step over a puddle, glancing back, "You coming?" I nodded, "I thought your phone was dead," I spoke softly, taking his hand as I extended one foot over to what seemed like a dry area, or at least not flooded. "I did too," he shrugged, "I thought wrong." I pursed my lips again, gripping the sides of shirt to keep my hands out of the rain and from getting wet. Maybe Patrick and I really should talk more. Maybe it'll be good for us. Of course it will.