Chapter 1

Cassie

Cassie's POV

     The day started out like any other, I awoke to my alarm blaring into my ear as the smell of bacon entered my nose.

I got up out of bed and walked into the bathroom to get ready for school.

I turned on the shower and undressed. As I stepped into the shower I could hear my mother open the door into my room, probably coming to wake me up.

She realized I was in the bathroom and knocked on the door.

"Breakfast is ready sweetie" she called out.

"Okay I'll be down in a few" I shouted back to her.

I stepped out of the shower, wrapped myself with a towel and go back into my room to find an outfit.
I quickly pulled on a tightly fit white crop top and leggings, brushed my dark brown hair, and headed downstairs.

"There's my birthday girl!" My mother said as I walked into the kitchen

"Ugh don't even remind me" I sneered

I hate my birthday more then anything.

It didn't always used to be like that though. In fact I loved my birthday, every year me and my father would go to my favorite ice cream shop, I'd order my chocolate cone with sprinkles and he'd get his classic mint chocolate chip.
Then we'd go out into his boat and drive around on our family's lake all day until it was dark. After that we'd come home usually around the time my mom got off work and we would all sit in front of the tv and watch my favorite movie, which is The Notebook by the way, now I know what your thinking but what can I say I'm a hopeless romantic.
It used to be the best day ever, that was until my father died in a car crash 5 years ago. Since then it's never been the same, the day is just a reminder that he's not here anymore to celebrate with me.

"Aw come on why do you always have to be like that" my mother says pulling me from my thoughts

"You know why"

"I know you miss him sweetie I do too, but your 16 now you could at least show a little excitement"

We sit in silence as I finish my breakfast and then I head back upstairs to do my makeup.

I finish my makeup and as I'm walking out of the bathroom I notice an envelope  sitting on my nightstand.

"That's weird, that wasn't there this morning"

I walk over to it and pick it up

On the front of the envelope in red ink it reads
"Cassie M."
And on the back it is sealed with a bright red wax
That's strange my name is Cassie Richards. Why would it say Cassie M?

I open it and carefully pull the letter from the envelope. On the letter in the same bright red ink it says
"Meet me at your family's lake at 2 o'clock and come alone"

Now who the hell sent me this letter... and why?