Chapter Sixteen

Seven months later.

January fourth, 2017

I sit around the kitchen table with Cleo in my arms. She holds the bottle up to her mouth and drinks the formula milk. Her eyes are big, round and green.

Justine sits beside me silently while Gina washes dishes at the sink. John left for work hours ago. Blake and Ned have already left for school.

"Chrissy, you have school" Gina shouts across the room.

I bounce Cleo on my knee and smile. The best part of my day is these little moments with her. The moments I feed her breakfast or see her smile.

"I know" I assure her with a grin.

Justine puts down her coffee mug and opens her arms wide, "here give her to me, otherwise, you'll be late"

I nod, "thanks Justine"

I miss Cleo's face a hundred times before passing her to Justine. I stand up from my seat and wave them all goodbye.

The drive to school was quick. Cleo's lullabies playlist plays the whole car ride. I haven't had music play in my car since the day she came home from the hospital.

When I arrive at school, I turn my head to find Cleo's jacket and stuffed bunny by her car seat in the back. I smile before jumping out of the car.

As I enter the hallway, the bell rings for morning homeroom. I find Ned making out with a girl by the lockers, completely ignoring the bell. He'll probably just skip homeroom again.

When I walk into the classroom, I take a seat beside Blake at the back. He's on his phone and doesn't say anything.

"Who are you texting?" I whisper just as Ms Jenkins starts the class.

"Dylan" Blake responds simply, "he's been ignoring me for three whole days now"

"I see that we have a new student" Ms Jenkins smiles in front of the entire class. "Stand up Evangeline...and tell us about yourself"

Evangeline?

I furrow my brows then look up at the girl. My eyes widen in disbelief as I see her standing there. She looks like my Elise. Their the same height and the same facial structure and features.

Evangeline Sanders?

"What's the matter cat got your tongue?" Vanessa laughs from the front row.

This can't be real.

I look over to Blake and nudge him to get off his phone to look at her.

"Do you see what I see?" I whisper.

He looks up and smiles "Hey she's in our class"

Blake doesn't look shocked in the slightest.

I narrow my eyes "you know her?"

Blake nods "I spoke to her this morning"

"Well, Evangeline? Do not ignore me" Ms Jenkins folds her arms. "Evangeline please report to the principal's office" the woman orders.

My eyes widen as she grabs her stuff and turns her body around. She has Elise's face. Evangeline then leaves the room.

I look over my shoulder to find Jenny sitting behind us. She sits there with folded arms.

When the bell rings, everyone gets up from their seats.

Jenny stands on my left and Blake on my right. How could they not see it?