Chapter Thirty-Two

Blake and I picked up everyone from the airport at once. The band, the photographers and our guests. Jenny was playing wedding planner and screaming at everyone to get into the rental cars.

"What are you still doing here? Get yourself back to the house and get ready, this is your wedding day" she cries.

"Okay, okay" I chuckle, looking over at the band, "Blake's driving them to the venue and the photographer is coming to the house"

"Go on then" Jenny orders, "shoo"

My eyes widen, "did you just shoo me?"

She nods, "yes I did"

"You can't shoo the groom!" Blake folds his arms.

"Well I can and I just did" Jenny argues.

Suddenly I spot Evangeline and Sam walking towards us with a baby in her arms. Behind them are Ned and a woman I don't recognise. I haven't seen everyone together like this since thanksgiving dinner, the first year of college.

I greet every single of them with a small smile and a hug.

"Thank you guys for coming all this way," I tell them before looking over to Evangeline holding her baby. "What's his name?"

"Sterling" Evangeline smiles — she has Elise's smile — one of the best I've ever seen. "After Grandma, Stella"

"He looks exactly like Cleo" I admit, holding her little hand while he sleeps against Evangeline's chest.

"They are cousins after all" Blake points out as we all start walking through the airport slowly.

Evangeline and I both smile. "I can't believe I'm that little girl's aunt" she half-smiles.

"Cleo's never had an aunt," I tell her, "just a room filled with overprotective uncles"

Evangeline softens her gaze "this is all so wild, you know"

I laugh "yeah it is"

****

"Are you nervous?" Blake asks from beside me and Isaiah Pérez.

I stand to look at my reflection in the mirror. I'm wearing a black tux and a smile across my face. Why would I be nervous? After all, nothing about marrying Sherry is frightening for me. When I think about Sherry and the life we'll live together, I feel nothing but peace.

"Not at all" I admit with a grin.

"How does Cleo look in her flower girl dress?" Ned asks, "is she wearing that cute little bow I got her?"

I look over to Ned and smile. Up until a couple of months ago, Ned hated Cleo. He saw her as some kind of disease that killed his sister. I don't know what's changed but whatever it is has done Ned some good.

"Yeah, she is" I assure.

He nods, "good, I need my favourite niece to look presentable"

"C'mon boys, we're ready for you" Shelby calls from through the door.

"I haven't seen her since high school" Ned admits.

"Did you bang her too?" Blake cocks a brow.

"Eww gross" Ned scrunches up his face, "that's my little sisters best friend! I have morals"

"Shooker" Blake chuckles.

"Say cheese!" The photographer cries before snapping a shot of us boys teasing each other over girls — just like we used to when we were young and stupid.

Ten minutes later, I'm standing in front of the crowd with Blake and Isaiah beside me, acting as groomsmen. When the music starts the bridesmaids walk down the aisle towards me. The two women are Sherry's sisters. My baby Cleo is next. She's tossing petals in front of her as she walks swiftly towards me. Big green eyes and curly blond hair like her mother. She shoots me a thumbs up, sending a wide grin across my face.

Then the music changes completely into the wedding march. That's when I see Sherry walking beside her father down the aisle. Her black hair is in an up-do and she's wearing a lavish white lace dress. Everyone's eyes are on her — as they should be. She looks so beautiful.

****

At the reception, everyone is dancing and laughing while the gang sit at a small table.

"That's it" I wrap up my side of the story.

Evangeline looks over to Jason with firm eyes "your turn"

"Well, like six months before all that happened" Jason looks over to me, "I met Elise at the tutoring centre and we became buddies and we realised that we looked kinda similar and obviously she looked like Trisha and Angel...we exchanged stories. She told me her mum was a serial cheater who left when she was little. We realised our parents knew each other and that both our parents ran off at similar times so we took a test and it was positive" he explains quickly. "I took her to the hospital when she was in labour and I told Calum everything"

"Which takes us to the part of the story I just told" I finish.

"Why didn't she say anything" Ned throws his head back.

"She didn't want to hurt her family with the truth" Jason explains.

"Dad" a voice calls from behind me, I turn my head to find Cleo in her white dress. "Can I see the baby?"

I smile, taking her hand, guiding Cleo to my friends.

"Cleo this is your aunt Eva and uncle Jason" I smile, "they are your momma's sister and brother...and this is your baby cousin, Sterling"

Cleo's eyes widen while looking at her new-found family.

"I never met my mum" she admits. "But you look like the pictures dad shows me of her"

Evangeline smiles. "I never met her either...she passed on before I could" she explains. "I haven't seen you since you were a baby, you know"

Evangeline and Cleo look into each other's eyes for thirty seconds straight. It was like a part of them both was just repaired. I think that this is what closure is supposed to fill like. This moment with all of us together — happy. There's just one thing left that we need to do.