NINE

Gideon wiped his beaded brow, a flush in his cheeks. He allowed Samson and the twins—and the camera crew—to catch their breath before approaching the bed. The twins crawled off Samson and left the bed. Gideon hugged Marcus and kissed his cheek. "Feeling better?" he whispered.

A look of uncertainty lingered in the boy's eyes as he glanced at Samson. He nodded silently and headed for the shower. Gideon's heart went out to him—how this would play out was anyone's guess.

"You were fantastic, as usual," Gideon praised Mickey and kissed his head. "Go on and shower with Marcus."

Mickey hesitated. "Do you think Marcus will be okay . . . regardless how things go?"

"As long as he has you, he'll be fine." Gideon touched the boy's warm face. "What about you? Are you going to be okay, regardless?"

Mickey glanced at Samson who was sitting up, pulling the robe around him. "Yeah," he mumbled and met Gideon's eyes. "I think so."

"But you want what Marcus wants."

Lowering his eyes, Mickey nodded. "Yeah."

Gideon cupped his head and kissed his hair. "It ain't over till it's over, son," he whispered. "We'll just have to wait and see."

"I know," Mickey murmured and smiled small. "I think he really liked us."

Gideon chuckled. "I think that's a safe assumption." When Mickey left to go shower, Gideon turned to Samson. "You were absolutely fantastic. A natural."

"I don't know about that." Samson smiled. "I think most of the credit goes to your two boys."

"They are certainly a talented duo."

Samson exhaled and laughed low. "That they are,"

"So . . ." Gideon stroked his chin. "Was the experiment successful? Did you what you were after?"

Samson rested his elbows on his knees and looked at the floor. "And then some," he murmured. He looked up. "What I said before, about not being confused about my sexuality . . ." He sighed and rubbed his mouth. "Maybe I am feeling a bit disoriented."

"If you're in no hurry to leave," Gideon said, "we can talk about it in my office."

Releasing another slow breath, Samson nodded. "I think I'd like that."

"Great. Go ahead and shower, and then we can talk."

Samson stood from the bed. "Do you know why Marcus was upset? He still seemed so, even after . . ." He gestured absently at the bed.

"Actually . . ." Gideon nodded. "I do know. But it may not be my place to expound upon it."

"Does it concern me?"

Gideon chewed his lower lip. "It does."

"If I've done something to upset him, I'd really like to know so I can make it right. Whatever it is, I would never intentionally hurt him. Those boys, they're amazing and sweet. It breaks my heart to think I did something . . ."

"You didn't," Gideon assured softly. "It's nothing you've done. Marcus isn't upset with you. It's . . . something else."

"And you can't tell me?"

"No."

Samson sighed. "Okay, I understand. But . . . maybe I could talk to them before I leave?"

"Absolutely. In fact, I think that would be a great idea."

"Then that's what I'll do. Maybe I can get them to tell me."

Gideon smiled. "Maybe you can."

•●•