FIFTY THREE !

like every insufferable school day, stella couldn't wait to escape the torment for another weekend. today, however, had been different than the day before, and any other school day she had experienced. the glares of her fellow peers were filled with the upmost shock and spite. in fact, earlier in the day she had entered the girls bathroom to find a group of students waiting to cast their cold glares upon her. it was all too confusing, too hateful to have simply just been sprouting from their natural dislike of the girl.

stella didn't quite know what had led to this but she didn't care enough to find out. she refused to allow the stolen glances and whispers faze her perfectly running friday.

the end of the day had finally arrived, a cacophony of chatter commencing in the halls as the herds of students piled from class rooms to exit the school building and kick start their weekend.

whilst packing up to leave her english classroom, stella overheard her name being mentioned and passed back and forth between a group of boys, words like 'slag' and 'whore' also making an appearance.

she cocked her head to the side and met eyes with the boys, all of them snickering as she did so. "what do you want, slag?" one of them chirped up, the rest of the boys continuing to laugh.

"w-what?" stella asked, completely dumbfounded.

instead of replying, the three boys carried on their mutters and snickering and began exiting the classroom. stella watched them as they left, her heart breaking as she heard her former best friends name thrown into the mix.

"what sam even saw in her in the first place i'll never know."

she wasn't exactly sure what was happening but she knew how to find out.

///

stella exited the school building and began her search, looking for sam's face in the sea of spiteful glares.

it didn't take her long to find him. she simply followed the source of the snickering, leading her to a gang of students encircling her former bestie. he seemed to be fuelling the fire, mixing stella's name with the word 'slag' among other slurs. it hurt stella tremendously. to see one of the only people in the world she had ever trusted speak so poorly of her broke her heart into pieces.

inhaling deeply, stella found the courage to approach the group. sam's eyes found hers and his smug look turned into a frown for a small second as she neared, the cocky smirk eventually finding home on his face once again.

"and here's the slut herself," an unknown voice exclaimed, the crowd of students turning to face the petite blonde.

"what do you want?" sam spat, walking closer to his former friend. stella stared at the boy, trying to figure out what had pushed him to spread such hurtful rumours about her.

"tongue tied?" another boy perked up, everyone erupting into a fit of giggles.

"look at the slag, she knows it's true. that's why she can't deny it. she's a dirty fucking dog," another one added.

stella ignored their comments, intensifying her glare against sam. "what the fuck do you want?" sam repeated, feign anger in his voice.

the boys were right about one thing, stella was tongue tied. she didn't know what to say or do but stand and try to make sam feel some form of pity.

"i—you..." stella began, fighting the overbearing urge to grant the tears their wish to fall.

stella was unsure of why or how, but her glare appeared to work. the arrogant look painted across sam's face had morphed into something less stuck up and more scared.

"what's going on here, then?" an all too familiar voice spoke from behind, the gravelly tone making her heart skip a beat or two. stella shut her eyes tight, begging the universe to send the boy away.

"is this him?" stella heard someone ask, sam replying with a simple 'yes' through his shock.

"am i who?" harvey asked, residing himself next his ex girlfriend in a protective alpha-male type of way.

"the other son of a bitch sleeping with this slut."

stella turned to look up at her ex, his jaw taut. the anger was filling his face with pace as he glared at the group of students. harvey's knuckles had turned white from clenching them in an attempt to retain anger, his teeth gritted from effort to remain silent.

"is that so? is that what you've been telling people?" harvey asked, his glare shifting to sam, "trying to hide the fact that stella brutally rejected you?"

oohs and aahs came from the crowd now forming, people cocking a hand and whispering to the people stood near by.

"she didn't reject me," sam retorted, finally finding his voice again, "you turned up all heroic as if she was your property."

harvey took a step closer towards the boy, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"harvey—" stella tried to cut in, grabbing the boy's tensed arms in an attempt to reel him back in.

"no, stella, i want to hear what he has to say."
harvey pulled away from stella and spat towards sam.

"look, man, last time i checked girls don't usually go for guys who cheat. or maybe that's just normal girls. maybe slags like stella like cheats, maybe it turns them on or so—"

in that frozen second between stand off and fighting harvey's eyes flickered from sam to stella before he acted on his anger, allowing it to come forward like lava from an volcano, forcing destruction.

a sudden gush of pain erupted through sam's face as harvey's punch connected with his cheek. sam's tongue was soaked in blood as his head jolted back, the crowd cheering the battle on and some pulling their phones out to record.

stella watched, frozen in fear. she didn't know how to stop it but she knew she needed to, and fast.

sam regained strength, throwing his own punch back in retaliation. the pairs testosterone-fuelled need to win took over and they wrestled to the group, blood gushing from the newly forming wounds.

it all seemed to happen in slow motion. the battle, the chants and cheers, the blood drying on the cobbles below. it was a brutal scene and stella needed to diffuse it before someone got seriously hurt.

"stop!" she called, her voice just reaching below a whisper as the words got drowned out by the screams of students. "stop!" she repeated, louder this time. "stop it!" she yelled, her voice overpowering all cheers, all chants, as it echoed through the air.

the fight came to a sudden holt, the boy's shared love for the blonde forcing them to stop for her sake.
the tears were now gushing from stella's eyes like water spilling from a dam, like an uproar from the back of her throat.

"please, both of you, just stop it!"

by this time, teachers had made their way over and began ushering the viewers away. stella grabbed harvey's arms and allowed him to use her for support as he stood, his body limp.

sam appeared worse than harvey, struggling to regain his strength as teachers formed a circle around him.

this was bad.

-
this story🤝ending soon