Chapter Four

Those words my father spoke seemed to tear right into my heart.  I took a step back holding my hands up in front of me as if to protect me, but from what? I was caged in and it's not like my own father the king will hurt me. Frowning I said, "What do you mean I'm not your daughter?!" My head was spinning my mother dies, I get put in prison, and now my father says I'm not his daughter! Could my life really get any worse!
    He lowered his head, "You're not ours, Amaya. We..... We took you in."
     "What do you mean you took me in! Who's my real parents?!"
      "It was a sealed trade between your mother and me and the King that gave you to us. We signed a paper saying we will never speak of your real parents and we wanted it that way."
     Now I was mad! How could they keep it from me that I wasn't theirs! "What! Why?!" I sputtered angrily.
     My father wiped his face with a white handkerchief, "Your mother and me wanted children but couldn't have any, so when a King came and offered to trade you for something in return we couldn't refuse. We longed for a child of our own for so long, but we didn't want the people of Rollick to know that by blood you weren't a princess of Rollick, so we kept it a secret who you really are."
    I turned by back to my father trails of tears falling down my cheeks, I couldn't bare to look at him right now. My whole life was a lie! "You're not my father." I hoarsely whispered.
    "You're still a princess, and darling we've always loved you as our own."
    I gave a short laugh of sarcasm, "Well you and Mother sure had a funny way of showing it!" I glared him, "Now unless you're going to unlock this cell and let me be free, leave me be. Please."
    My father turned and left and this time I didn't watch him go. I didn't care anymore, he believed I was a murderer and he bloody sure wasn't going to let me out. I might as well get used to living like this locked away.
    Every day the hours seemed to slowly drag by, there wasn't anything for me to do except make my bed in the morning, think, eat the food that was brought to me, and more thinking. I didn't have a pocket watch so I couldn't even keep track of the time, all I knew was that I've been in this cell for three long sleepless nights.
    "If I ever get out of this cell I'm going to get a cat to live down here and get all the mice and rats."  I grumbled as I saw a rat scamper across the floor.  I shivered and pulled the thin blanket up around my bare shoulders. I'm also going to put a fire place down here I thought to myself as I slowly drifted off to sleep.
     Bang!
    I gasped jolted awake from my sleep, I sprinted to the edge of my cell and looked out at the deeply lit aisle. I couldn't see anything, but I heard the noise again and a shuffling of feet outside the prison door that was always guarded by place guards. What was going on? Then a terrifying feeling started sinking my stomach, whatever was on the other side of the door was clearly trying to get in, and was most likely coming for me! This was how my life was going to end! Being executed by my own father's guards! The sound of the door scrapping open on it's rusty hinges busted me out of my thoughts. I scrambled back to my bed and stood on it clutching my five inch heel in one hand and holding the end of my gown in the other, I braced myself to make a run for it.  I could hear footsteps now coming my way, they were loud steps that of man with boots.
     When he came into vision something made me lower my five inch heel shoe, he wasn't one of Rollick's guards. He had dark mysterious brown eyes, and black hair that was little wavy especially by his ears. He wore a black cotton shirt that came into a v cut showing some chest hair, and black pants with black boots. He surely wasn't any older than me. He pulled out a set of keys, and quickly unlocked my cell. Waving his hand to motion me to him he quickly said, "Come."
    I stepped gently down off my bed, and lowered my shoe that I was going to use as a weapon, "Are you here to rescue me?" I asked slowly my head spinning with questions, it was all happening so fast!
   He merely shrugged, "Something like that." Before I could ask another question he reached in and grabbed my hand and pulling me out of my cell that I've been trapped in. But instead of leading the way to freedom he pulled out a rag and gaged me and before I knew what was happening he pulled a brown sack was over my head welcoming me to complete darkness.
   His strong hands gabbed both of mine arms and held them behind me as we started moving. With the sack over my head I couldn't see a thing and which made me just have to trust were he was leading me. I tried screaming and calling out for help, but the gag only muffled my voice. Not being able to see anything in front of me made me panic a little, and what was my kidnapper going to do to me? I smiled to myself when I remembered that the palace and the town of Rollick is protected on all sides by a high stone walls, with only one entrance which would be guards with guards. There was no way my kidnapper was getting out of Rollick without the guards seeing him and me! Now if only I could get this nasty rag out of my mouth, it was starting to leave a nasty taste.
   I could tell we were outside now, the sun's rays shined down on my skin making me hot. I stumbled on the dirt road, and my kidnapper grabbed my waist keeping me from falling then nudged me forward to keep me moving. Awhile later he grabbed my waist and whispered close to my ear to stop. Then I felt something rough get placed in my hand and the sack came off my head. The sunlight nearly blinded me, and I shielded my eyes with hand as I looked around us. We were in a small alley right next to the tall stone wall that protected the city of Rollick. There was no one in sight, and with this gag in my mouth it made it impossible to scream loud enough for someone to hear. The rough object the my kidnapper had placed in my hand was the end of a long rope that went up to the top of the stone wall.
   He nudged me forward and with his lips still close to my ear he whispered, "Climb, and don't try anything funny." With that he released his hold on my arms and allowed me to start slowly pulling myself up with my feet pressed against the wall to walk up and my hands moving one after the other, as soon as there was enough room on the rope he started climbing up afterwards. When we were both on top of the wall and could see for miles in all directions he pulled the rope up and dropped it on the other side. I looked down starting to feel light headed from being up so high, I started swaying back and forth.
    He lunged for my arm and grabbed it, "Hey! You alright?" He asked alarmed, then he coughed, "I mean, umm start climbing down." He looked away.
    I frowned confused that this complete stranger would be concerned for me, I took the rope from him before he changed his mind and I started climbing down. Maybe once I reached the ground I could make a run for it! After all he'll still be sitting on the wall or climbing on the rope, I chuckled to myself he wasn't a smart kidnapper for letting me go first! As soon as my bare feet touched the soft dirt path I darted down it.
     "Hey!" He yelled from where he was climbing down, he quickly let go of the rope and fell the rest of the way down, then he ran after me. Running in a long gown isn't easy, and with his long muscular legs he soon caught up with me and tackled me to the ground. He laid on top of me so I couldn't move. He grinned as I struggled to get him off me, "Where do you think you're going?" His British accent was thick, he remained on top of me.
    I let out a groan as I tried to push him off me.
    "Ahh right." He said remembering I had a gag in my mouth and couldn't speak, with one hand he pulled down my gag.
   "Get off me!" I nearly yelled at him.
    He placed a hand on his cheek and pretended to think really hard, then he smiled down at me, "That depends are you going to run again?"
     I let out a sigh and looked away, then back to him, "Alright I won't run."
     He leaned in closer to me with grin still on his face, "You promised?"
    I rolled my eyes dramatically, "I promise."
    "Good." He then stuffed the gag back in my mouth, I screamed but the faithful rag muffled it. Then he scooped me up like a sack of potatoes and slung me onto his shoulder.