Chapter Ten

The Enchanted Forest of Truth was silent except for the constant whispering of truths from people who had journeyed though the Forest.
     I waited for Hayden to answer me, I knew he had to. After all we were in the Enchanted Forest of Truth where you could only speak the truth because of the enchantment.
     "So tell me Hayden Marx, what's your curse that you've been so desperately trying to hide from me?"
      "Princess please...." But the enchantment was too strong, nothing could stop the truth being said. He felt it tugging and pulling at his lips to say the truth about the curse. "I'm cursed with the Curse of Love."
    A wave of disappointment rushed over me, that's it? That's his big secret that he's been keeping this whole time? Compare to the Curse of Unhappiness his curse was so lame!
    "There now we're even, let's get out of this bloody forest." Hayden said looking at me to see if I had forgiven him for asking if I killed my mother.
    I stared back at him, "You used me Hayden, we had a promise and you broke it. That's something you will never be able to undo!" With that I ran letting Hayden's black leather jacket fall to the ground. Tears stung my eyes, but the wind wiped them dry as I ran. I wanted to get out of the Enchanted Forest of Truth as fast a possible. The whispers that once seemed magnificent and wonderful to listen to now mocked and taunted me. I stumbled and fell a few times on the path; but I pushed myself up and kept running. Eventually I saw the clearing of the forest, tired and exhausted I put every last strength in my legs. My legs burned from running and my rib cage hurt but as I stepped out of the enchanted forest a sense of relief washed over me. I staggered backwards a little and fell to the dirt ground. Glancing backwards I looked up at the tall trees, I couldn't hear the whispers anymore and the world was strangely quiet.
    I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. Sunlight warmed my flushed face and the smell of wild flowers was strong. I opened my eyes to look around me, there was beautiful green grasses as far as the eye could see, so different from corn fields we've been seeing along the path. Yellow, pink, orange, and purple wild flowers covered the grass like a colorful quilt. The sky was light blue with not a fluffy cloud to be seen. It felt peaceful, unfortunately I wasn't alone long enough to enjoy the peace.
   Hayden ran out of the forest he crouched down with his hands on his knees gasping for breath. He looked over to the side and saw me sitting there, a look of surprise came over his face. Hayden wiped sweat from his forehead as he breathed heavily, "I thought you'd be half way to Agog by now."
    I shrugged, "I don't really know the way to Agog." I refused to look at his face and he could tell.
    "Princes I'm sorry..."
    "You could have just asked me you know?" I interrupted him, I now glanced at him my face blank of any emotions, "I would have told you, you didn't have to wait until we were in a enchanted forest that makes you speak the truth."
    He lowered his head ashamed, "I'm so sorry Amaya, I'm not used to being with people who are honest, and I just wanted to make sure...."
    "If you thought I was going to kill you, won't you think I would have done it by now?"
    He brought his head up to look me in the eye and smiled a little, "You never know, some killers take years of planning before killing the person." Then his face softened, "But I am truly sorry, I made a promise with you, and I broke it. You have every right to hate me."
    I shook my head, "I don't hate you... Just disappointed that you didn't trust me enough to even think that I killed my mother." We stood there awkwardly not saying anything. Then I remembered his curse, "You're seriously cursed with the Curse of Love? Is that even a curse?" I laughed.
    He smiled, "Oh it's real."
    "But why?! What does the curse even do? Do you fall in love with everyone you meet?!"
    Hayden was strangely quiet for long that all you could hear was the birds chirping then he said, "I've think you've learned enough about me for one day." He started walking down the path.
    I jumped to my feet and raced after him, "Come on Hayden!"
   "Where's that bloody gag, I'm sure I still have it in here somewhere." He teased pretending to look in his burlap sack.
    I smacked his arm and he grinned. "That's not funny, I don't talk that much!"
   He laughed, "No you talk a lot!" Then he paused, "If you're still wanting to know more about my curse tonight I'll tell you once we stop to sleep." He said slowly.
   I clasped my hands together excited, "Really?!"
    "Maybe." He said focusing his dark eyes on the path in front of us.
    "Ugh Hayden!"
    We walked for hours, well...... Hayden walked I ran ahead of him a little ways and picked wild flowers. I braided the beautiful wild flowers together into a necklace and a bracelet, then I made a crown of flowers and placed it on my head. "How do I look?" I asked twirling around.
    Hayden looked at me from head to toe, "Like a princess with too many flowers."
    "Very funny." Taking my crown of sunflowers off my head I stood on tip toes and placed it on Hayden's head.
   "Ummm what are you doing?" He asked.
    "Now you have a crown too." I started picking more sunflowers to make me another crown.
    "We really need to keep walking your highness."
    I rolled my eyes, why couldn't he call me Amaya? "We are walking I'm just going to braid these sunflowers into a crown real quick." I finished getting enough flowers and as we walked I carefully braided them together into a crown. Looking over at Hayden I smiled, he hadn't taken the sunflower crown off his head.
     We continued walking; crickets came out to play and we were still walking. A cold breeze ruffled through the tall grass and lightning bugs danced around the wild flowers as they swayed back and forth in the wind. Somewhere off in the distance a rushing stream of water could be heard over the sound of the crickets.
    "Listen." I whispered, "Doesn't the sound of running water sound peaceful?"
    Hayden listened to the steady flow of the water; the sound was coming from the right of where we walked. "Sounds like supper to me."
    I frowned confused, what on earth was he talking about? "What?"
    He placed a finger to his lips motioning me to be quiet, then he grabbed my hand and pulled me in the tall grass towards the sound of the moving water. He continued holding my hand, helping me over fallen trees and small hills. The sound of rushing water was getting louder the closer we got. "Where there's water there's most likely bull frogs, and where there's frogs there's legs." Hayden said answering my question as he held my hand helping me climb up on top a fallen tree.
      Placing my hands on his shoulders I jumped from the fallen tree to the grassy ground with a thud, "You mean to say we're going to eat frog legs?!" My nose twisted in disgust it sounded utterly disgusting. I shuddered imaging a slimy green frog leg going into my mouth.
      "You've never had frog legs before have you?" Hayden asked as he lead me through the grass towards the sound of the water.
    A tall strand of grass flicked me in my face. I brushed it aside, "I should think not! Zora would never allow a frog in her kitchen!" Then remembering Hayden won't know Zora I added, "She's the royal palace's chef."
    "Well take my word for it, frog legs are the best thing you'll ever taste, and lucky for you you're looking at the best frog catcher from all over the land. When you had thanksgiving in the palace you probably had fancy turkey legs right? Well for us if we were lucky and fast enough we'd have frog legs every thanksgiving that I remember."
    Suddenly I felt very guilty, for back in the Palace we'll have thanksgiving balls with so many long tables filled with delicious tasting food. Chicken covered in orange sauce, whole turkeys and swans stuffed with the best stuffing, lobsters, steaks, jams and jellies for the softest breads and rolls, pumpkin pie, pudding pie, and shrimp cocktail. No one went home hungry at our balls, and to think that while we were stuffing our faces and eating WAY too much food Hayden, his younger brother, and other commoners where starving and were lucky to get frog legs on thanksgiving. "Hayden, I'm so sorry."
    "Why? I'm not, frog legs are the best."
   I smiled, "Sounds like you had an awesome childhood."  
   Hayden picked up two long stick, not saying anything he pulled his sword out and quickly and expertly sharpened the ends into sharp points. He handed one of the sticks to me "Here, make yourself useful."
    "What is this for?" I asked.
    Hayden parted cattails to reveal a pond, the setting sun reflected off the pond's shining water making it sparkle like crystals. A small stream poured water into the pond constantly making a swishing sound as it lapped over the rocks. Lily pads covered the edge of the pond and we heard a splash as a frog jumped into the water.
    Hayden turned back to me, "How do you except to catch the frogs?" He paused and peered around the lake, "Now stay close to me, frogs are hard to spot especially since it's getting dark fast. Also try to be as quiet as possible, I know how hard that is for you." He grinned flashing me that nice smile.
    "Very funny." I whispered clutching my handmade spear close to me as we stepped down into the pond. I shivered at the ice cold water sent a chill all the way up my body. Soon the water was up to my waist, but thankfully we didn't go any deeper.
   Hayden let go of my hand, "If you see a frog stab him with your spear, they'll come up close to the lily pads or dry land."
    Hayden got the first frog, his expert hands threw the spear so fast that the poor frog didn't stand a chance. The spear went right through his green, slimy head with a sickening crunch. Hayden grinned then looked back at me, "And that's how it's done your highness." I gulped, "Your turn." He said as we searched the pond for another big frog.
    Something swam by my legs, I let out a terrified squeal.
     "Shhh!" Hayden quickly turned around covering my mouth with his hand, "Don't scare them away! What's wrong ?" He asked a little concerned.
    He removed his hand from my mouth and I hissed, "Something was right by my foot!" I pointed down to the murky, ice cold water.
    Hayden rolled his eyes but smiled, "It was probably just a fish, or your future supper."
    I shuddered as I moved around the pond. Squishy soft mud oozed between my toes with each step. Suddenly Hayden grabbed my elbow and pointed to a frog that had jumped on top of a rock. "Right there." He whispered so he won't scare the frog.
    Silently I took a step forward and held the spear up glancing at it and then back at the green frog. Would the spear work? I've never thrown a spear before, a princess was never taught how to define herself with weapons. Instead they were taught how to act during a tea party or ball, and how to dress to impress a young prince. With all my might I threw the spear and it went towards the frog, but only  scratched the frog on his back leg. Startled the frog hopped into the water.
     "Grab him!" Hayden yelled obviously having fun at this game of frog catching.
     "But we don't have anymore spears." I pointed out.
     "Forget the spears use your hands!" Hayden yelled making a huge splash as he tried desperately to grab the frog.
    Seeing the tricky frog go by me I reached both hands in and tried to grab him, but came up empty. We splashed and laughed as we ran around trying to grab the little guy.
    Snatching my hands down I finally caught the little creature, "Eww he's slimy!" I squealed letting go of him and he fell back in the water.
     "Amaya!" Hayden said he couldn't believe she let him go! "They're frogs of course they're slimy, it's their mucus!"
      "Sorry!" I apologized looking around for the frog.
      "Here chase him towards me and I'll catch him." Hayden bent in a crouch position with his hands out wide.
      I pushed my hair out of my face, then catching sight of the frog I ran after him sending him Hayden's way. Trying to run in water is really hard by the way, not watching how close I was getting to Hayden, we bunked heads together before falling down into the cold icy water. I gasped coming up for air, crossing my arms I shivered.
    Hayden came up beside me, "Ouch!" He said rubbing his head. "Oh there he is!" He said pointing to the frog that must have been tired out because of us chasing him.
    Dripping wet Hayden slowly approached the frog that had stopped on a lily pad. Before the frog realize he was being watched Hayden snatched the guy by his long swimmers legs. Hayden spun around to face me, with a laugh and a wild grin on his face he held up the prize, "The frog is ours!" He whooped.
    I giggled placing my hands on my face, with both frogs in hand we left the pond dripping wet and cold to the bone.