Chapter Twenty-Three

Hayden took my hand in his and pulled me down the narrow street towards the pub.
     I pulled back hesitating, "Hayden, I don't think this is such a good idea." 
     He swung his arm around my shoulder pulling me close, "Sure it is! It'll be fun."
     His arm around me felt comforting and I let Hayden led me into the pub which had a wooden sign with a yellow duck on it and read 'The Ugly Duckling'.
      I squinted my eyes to get use to the pub's dim lighting and looked around. The floors and walls were all made oak wood, the same as the many tables and chairs that crowded the floor. In the far right of the room was a bar and stools. Behind the bar waitresses in tight low cut dresses that showed more cleavage than necessary worked serving people drinks and food, most drinks though. On the left side of the room space had been cleared out for a dance floor and some couples where out dancing to the jolly music that came from two men playing a piano and a fiddle. Laughter filled the room and the place reeked of spilled rum and guys who haven't bathed in days. Mostly the pub was filled with men getting drunk, but a few women was there too either being waitresses in low cut dresses serving rum and other beverages. There also were women being a disgrace sitting in men's laps and laughing as they too got tipsy falling all over the place when they tried to walk.
     Hayden dragged me over the bar where we sat in two wooden stools. A waitress showing way too much cleavage flashed Hayden a flirtatious smile, "What can I get you handsome?"
      I stared daggers at her, how dare she flirt with him!
     He smiled politely back at her then placed his hand gently on my back, "Two drinks of your finest rum for me and my girl, please."
     The waitress wiped her flirty smile off her face and gave me a sweet yet fake smile, "Sure thing." She eyed Hayden one last time before going to get some rum glasses.
      Hayden chuckled as she left and looped his arm around me, his hand resting on my shoulder.  "You're jealous." He teased.
      I closed my eyes turning my head away some, "Not jealous."
     He pulled me closer to him; I grabbed the edge of the bar as I tried to position myself so I wouldn't fall of the stool. "You sure about that?" He whispered his warm breath tickling my ear.
   A smile tugged at my lips, "Maybe a little." I admitted looking deep into his dark brown eyes that made me melt every time I gazed into them, "But then you called me your girl."
     Hayden's flushed a light pink, I smiled at him and gave his hand a light squeeze.
     He looked at him his eyes going soft, "How can you be my girl and me not be able to tell you how I feel." He pulled his hand away from me.
   Ugh why did he have to do that? How could he be so open and friendly one moment; then closed off and distant the next?  "Don't do this, we've already been down this road." I touched his arm gently, "I love you. No words needed from you."
    Lowing his head he shook it sadly, "It's not fair on you."
    Our conversation was cut short though because the waitress returned just then with our two crystal clear glasses filled with rum that had white foam at the top. "Here's your rum, if there's anything else I could do, just let me know."
      I waited for Hayden to say something more, instead he handed me the glass of rum, he raised his glass to me, "Cheers to a great adventure."
     "And to what's to come." I said picking up the cold glass I slowly took a sip. I gaged as I swallowed the rum. Squinting my eyes as the liquor burnt the whole way down.
    Hayden took a big chug of his and sighed then turned to me, "So what do you think?"
    I looked at Hayden's now half full glass, "It's disgusting! How do you drink that stuff?"
     He laughed, "With practice I guess." He took another swing.
     "Ugh." I said as I tasted it one last time before pushing the glass over for him to finish off.
     Hayden did without hesitating. "Wanna dance?" He asked afterwards holding his hand out for me."
     I turned around looking at the dance floor with it's couples hooking their arms together and swinging around in a dance I have never seen before. The music was fast and cheerful. I shook my head stammering, "I... I don't know Hayden, I mean..... I don't know how to even dance to this type of music!"
       He chuckled, "You can take the princess from the castle, but she's still a princess." He hooked his arm through mine, "I'll make you a commoner yet." He said with a wink. Then he pulled me off the floor and ran onto the dance floor pulling me with him.
     Placing his hands on his waist he kicked his feet out in front of him. I giggled which made him grin, "You try."
      I laughed "Nooo I'm having way too much fun just watching you!"
      Without warning Hayden hooked his arm in mine and swung me around in circles. I squealed as I tried to keep up with him our arms linked into and the room spinning all around us become one giant blur as Hayden and I swung around faster and faster with the music. Swinging one direction then quickly turning and spinning the opposite. My heart felt so alive beating so fast I thought it'll jump out. I gasped for air breathing very hard as the song came to an end and people cheered.
    I yelled to be heard over the cheering, "What kind of dance was that!"
    Hayden laughed, "That my princess was a swing dance."
   The music picked up again and I wrapped Hayden's arm and we danced to another song. When we had danced till our hearts where content Hayden and I left the pub my arm linked in his we walked down the streets of Agog with the sun casting orange and purple streaks across the sky as it began to set.
    Vendors had all packed up their belongings and were walking home as lamplighters came out to hang lanterns out on tall iron poles with a curved hook to hold the lantern.
     Hayden stopped walking when we came to a wooden bridge. He released my hand and leaned his body on the edge of the bridge. His hands resting on the railing he gazed out at two distant mountains that came together and split right down the middle. The sun was even lower now it's orange streaks dancing on Hayden's dark hair, at that moment all I wanted to do was run my fingers through his curly hair, reaching up I brushed my fingers through his hair which felt smooth beneath my finger tips. I leaned my head on his shoulder and gazed out at the surroundings with him.
     He placed his hand on my lower back and turned me towards him, "Remember how you always asked where I was from, but I would never tell you?"
      I looked up at him, I held my breath staying silent. Of course I remembered, he was so mysterious and him keeping where he was from a secret was peculiar to me.
     When I didn't respond he continued, "I wouldn't tell you, because it's not a place I'm proud of, Amaya" Hayden pointed to the mountains in the distant, "The place I grew up in is right between those mountains a small evil town called Nyctophilia bad things happened there. I don't want you to ever go there you here me? I'm lucky to have gotten out of there when I did, once you're there it's almost impossible to leave." He took my hands in his.
     "What... What happened there?"
     Hayden lowered his eyes looking at the murky water below us, "That's where Henry died." He said slowly.
      "Your brother who was killed by a monster.... Hayden, how did it happen exactly."
      Hayden's eyes looked far away as he remembered the day as if it was just yesterday. "You know how Henry and I loved bull frog hunting? Well one day I told him I going to go with some buddies of mine, but really instead we were going to go drink rum that a friend had stolen from his parents. I was eighteen, and Henry was ten. He begged me to take him with me he said he was scared to be alone when our father came home drunk as usual. But I wouldn't let him come." Hayden said slowly choking on the last words. "He begged and begged me to come too, but I refused. I told him to just hide if our father came back in his usual drunk self and just wait till he was past out drunk to come out of hiding. Well.... Me being a stupid kid came home that night drunk as a skunk from all the rum, and remember falling asleep on the kitchen floor." Hayden paused taking a deep breath, "When I woke up there was blood everywhere, and my shirt had drips of blood on it. In my hand was a bloody dagger....  And Henry was dead."
      I gasped my hands covering my mouth, "NO!"
       Tears slowly fell as Hayden looked at me, "Amaya..... I killed my brother."
       "But why?!"
         Hayden shook his head, "I was intoxicated, I don't even remember picking up a dagger or stabbing him over and over again, but the proof was there. My dad screamed at me saying you killed him your own brother."
         I squeezed his hand gently, "Hayden... I'm so sorry."
         "I'm a monster."
         "No! You're not! You made a mistake and was in the wrong place at the wrong time."
          "I keep thinking if only I had taken him with me, he would have been safe and still be alive."
           "Or something else could have happened, but it's not your fault, Hayden."
            "I don't know why you even want to be with a guy like me, Amaya. I'm from Nyctophilia. I'm a bad person."
          I shocked my head, "Where you're from, doesn't define who you are, Hayden. You of all people should know that! Look at me." I smiled up at him, "I'm a princess of Agog who wasn't wanted because of a curse and was given to Rollick who try pin me for murder. But I'm not going to those places define who I am, and neither should you." I gave him a long hug, "Nyctophilia may have been your past, but it's not your future." I peered over his shoulders at Nyctophilia from what I could see it sat between the mountains and was dark and eerie looking.
         Hayden buried his head in my hair as he hugged me back, "You're pretty amazing you that?" He grinned down at me.
        I returned the smile, "Not as amazing as the guy I love who is brave and stronger than anyone I know."
       "Mmmmm I wonder who that could be, he's making me jealous." Hayden teased wrapping an arm around me.
         I giggled and gave him a quick kiss as we continued walking the stars above our heads twinkling as they shone in the darkness.
          We found a nice cozy inn called Either Inn. As we pulled open the door to the inn and loud man's voice shouted, "Welcome to Either Inn where you're either in or out!" He grinned. He was a jolly short man with pot belly and graying hair."
       "We are definitely in." Hayden said with a chuckle as he walked up to the wooden desk that the jolly man stood behind. I looked around. Either Inn wasn't big. The main room was kinda small with cold cement floors and bare walls. The only piece of furniture was the desk the jolly man stood behind. Off to the right of the desk was a narrow hallway which went back to the rooms I guessed.
       "Two rooms please." Hayden said digging his sack of shekels out of his burlap sack.
       The jolly man pulled out two brass keys with a fancy carved end, "That'll be 300 shekels."
       Hayden froze his hand in his sack he frowned, "300.... That's outrageous, I could sleep in a barn with horses for less than that."
       The man shrugged, "I gotta stay open some how, business is business."
       I stepped up to the desk and idea coming to mind when I realized Hayden didn't have enough money to pay for the rooms, "Sir I'm princ...."
       "Whoa hold on!" Hayden quickly grabbed my hand pulling me away from the desk before I could finish talking. "What bloody name do you think you're doing?!" He hissed.
         "Saving you the money. I can tell them I'm princess of Rollick and they can put it on my father's tab, he has plenty of money and can take care of it."
        "Thanks for being thoughtful, but we can't." Hayden glanced back nervously at the jolly man at the desk.
        "Why not?" I whispered.
        "In case you've forgotten princess, you're still wanted for treason in Rollick. We mention at all where you're from and your father would have guards here in a blink of an eye, that I can guarantee."
        He had a point, we had to keep me hidden. I peered over my shoulder at the jolly man who was watching us cautiously. "Might want to make an offer for the rooms, before this man gets suspicious."
       Hayden flashed one of his charming smiles at the jolly man behind the desk, "Sorry we're still trying to work out this whole marriage life out. You know?" He grinned.
       "Ahhh yes, sir I know exactly what you mean, the other day my woman told me I take my job too seriously and spend more time here with the customers than with her. Honestly her fruit cakes just aren't what they used to be you know? And a man has to have a good tasting fruit cake when he comes home!"
        I covered my mouth and pretended to cough as I tried to hide my laugh.
      Hayden shook his head, "Shocking how fruit cakes aren't how they used to be." Hayden winked at me.
       "Yes sir, it's a shame. Now you want two rooms or no?"
        Hayden glanced at me then back at the jolly man, "You know what I think we will stay here tonight, but one room is good."
       "150  shekels, enjoy the room!"
       Hayden gave him the money and we took the brass skeleton key. Back in the hallway we laughed about the adventures of our day as we searched for our room number and unlocked the door. Our laughter fell short though when we entered our tiny room for the night. The room was small with worn out carpet and bare walls. A single bed took up most of the room leaving a little path way on either side of the bed and a small space by the door.
       I froze. There was only one bed.... Hayden and I would have to share a bed! I heart jumped a beat. It wouldn't be too bad, I mean we've already slept together in the Enchanted Forest of Love, and it's not like I haven't seen him shirtless before.... I flushed remembering our night together.
        Hayden looked at me, oh no he must think I'm embarrassed that we have to share a bed!
         "You stay on your side of the bed, I'll stay on mine?" He said.
          I nodded speechless and too tired to say anything. We made our way to the bed Hayden claiming the right side so I took the left. Hayden took his black leather jacket off and lifted his shirt over his head  before climbing in bed and leaving the covers at his waist. He looked at me, "You coming?"
     I walked over to my side feeling Hayden's eyes watching me. I tried not to blush but could feel my body getting all warm and happy inside. I sat on the edge of the bed and pulled my red leather pants off and tried to pull my white shirt down as far as it could. I pulled my legs up onto bed and tried to cover them with the blanket as quick as I could. I don't know why I was so embarrassed for Hayden to see my body when he saw every part of me in the enchanted forest. Was it because tonight we would be inches from each other and not have some enchantment hanging over us and anything that happened tonight would happened because we wanted it to? I laid with my back facing Hayden I sighed wondering if he was already asleep, how could he be asleep already?! "Hey... You asleep?" I asked softly.
       Beside me I could feel his body move as he chuckled, "I literally just laid down."
      "Oh right, sorry." An awkward silence fell over us as we were each lost in our own thoughts. "Do you think we'll be able to break our curses?"
      Hayden sifted on the bed and when he spoke I could feel his warm breath tickling my neck, "A wise princess once told me she has hope we would. So yes to believe we will."
       I smiled remembering the night I told him that we have to have hope, I turned over so I was facing him through the darkness we looked at each other.
        Gently Hayden took a piece of my hair and twisted it around on his finger, "You know I only call you princess to tease you, because I know how much it annoyed you when I first called you that."
     I smiled at him through the darkness. "I know." I wished.
     He smiled back and pulling me close he gave me a warm kiss lingering on my lips before pulling apart, "Good night, Amaya"
      "Good night Hayden." I turned back on my side and the feeling of his kiss still on my lips as I smiled and drifted off to sleep.
      But Hayden couldn't sleep something bothered him. He knew he didn't deserve a sweet girl like Amaya, he knew she was in love with him and he was ever so thankful for her love. But she deserved a guy better than him. A guy who could tell her all the things she meant to him. She deserved a guy to love her back unconditionally. He watched Amaya sleep peacefully beside him, "Amaya, I......" But she was asleep.
                                                          ~
       Sunlight filtered in through the small window. Hayden yawned and rubbed his head into his pillow. When this this pillow become so smooth? He didn't remember it being this smooth last night. He blinked and slowly opened his eyes. He was laying against Amaya his head resting on the back of her shoulder and his arm was around her waist. She was still sleeping and looked as beautiful as ever, he didn't want to disturb her. Slowly and careful not to wake her he lifted his arm and rolled back over to his side of the bed where he pretended to be sleep till he felt her gently move on the bed beside him. He raised his head up and looked over into the most beautiful blue eyes that ever graced this world he smiled showing his dimples. "Hey gorgeous." He leaned down and brushed his lips against hers loving the taste of her lips against his.
                                                            ~
      "Mmmm morning." I said when we pulled away. I ruffled his curls playfully and got out of bed to put my leather pants and vest back on. When I was fully dressed I turned around to look at Hayden, "So...."
      He pulled his cotton black shirt over his head and looked at me with those dark brown puppy eyes of his.
    I rubbed my arm nervously, "What do we do now?"
     Hayden held up the silver necklace with the pink diamond charm, "I guess we give the Great Wizard his prize, then we go from there."
     I nodded, "Sounds like a plan." Hayden put his leather jacket on and we left the Either Inn making sure to thank the jolly man for the stay, then we made our way out of Agog. Instead of going back the dirt path we came though Hayden started walking up a hill in the opposite direction. I chased after him, "Where are we going?" I stumbled on the hill almost losing my balance.
       "I want to show you something before we leave." Hayden said taking my hand to help steady me.
      I gasped when we reached the top. It was so beautiful, as far as the eyes could see was wild flowers of every color. Pink, red, blue, yellow, orange, red, Mary Golds, daisies. The meadow was gorgeous!
       Hayden smiled and holding my hand we walked across the meadow. "That isn't even the best part." He said as we neared the edge of a cliff that dropped out into  a deep green valley that was just as beautiful as all the flowers in the meadow.
       I frowned something was right. This place: meadow, the flowers, and now the cliff and valley it was all so familiar. Then it hit me the dream, my dream. This was the place in my dream! "Hayden! My dream! This was where I was in the dream!" I looked around me fear over taking my body.
     "Amaya, this place is real, it's not a dream."
      "No but I was here in my dream this is where...."
       Hayden took my hands in his gazing deep into my eyes, "It's okay it was a dream,  Amaya you are part of my dream."
      "What are you saying?"
        He smiled down at me lovingly, "I'm saying you're my dream Amaya, I didn't think it was possible for me to ever care for someone else after Killia. I locked my feelings away deep inside, but you... You got to me princess in five inch heels." He grinned at me.
      A sob caught in my throat as I tried not to cry.
     Hayden ran a hand across my cheek, "You are the most beautiful thing God has ever created. You're more precious than any amount of money, rubies, or beautiful scenery like this; and you deserve to be told that every day." He paused taking a deep breath then he looked at me his hands shaking, "Amaya, I love you."
       I should have been over joyed and happy that the man I love told me how he felt, but when the man you love is cursed and can't love that changes everything. "NO! No!" I screamed but it was too late.
      Hayden's right hand flew to his heart, "agghh." He cried wincing in pain.
      "No! Hayden! What did you do! I sobbed. His one hand still holding mind he crumpled the ground as I tried to catch him. I fell down beside him sobbing I smacked his chest hard with my fists. "You idiot! Why did you do that?! You knew the cost!" I cried burying my head in his shirt.
     His voice was shaky as he tried to speak, "I know." He groaned griping his chest where his heart was slowing down soon it won't beat at all. "But you deserve to be told I love you everyday. I love you so much."
      Tears poured down my cheeks, "I love you too, but I could have lived without hearing those words from you." I ran my fingers through his hair. "You can't leave me Hayden, I won't make it without you!" I cried.
      "Listen." His gasped for every word. "You... Have... To... Break... Your....Curse.... Find...... Happiness....."
        I shook my head sobbing, "No, don't you see? You were my happiness! You made me happy, I don't want to be happy if I can't be happy with you!"
      Hayden coughed blood oozing out of his mouth, "You'll.....find.....happiness.....again..."
     I cried whispering softly, "I don't want to loose you."
     Tears filled his eyes as well, "Come here."
      I laid down resting my head on his shoulder I wrapped my arms around him and he managed to do the same. We laid there our arms around each other. His breaths got slower and slower each heart beat slowly dying. I looked up into his eyes my face tear stained as I realized the end was near.
      Hayden knew it as well, I couldn't imagine the pain he was in. His face was ash white his eyes droopy. He faintly smiled at me, "I..love...you....Amaya."
      I gave him a half hearted smile my heart breaking. I leaned down and kissed him passionately knowing this would be the last kiss I gave him.
        As I pulled up for air he gasped, "Promise... me....you'll...break...this....curse?"
        The pain tugged at my heart of course I wanted to break this curse for him and for me, but he was my happiness. How could I move on from this? I nodded slowly, "I promise."
        Hayden's eyes slowly closed his beautiful dark brown eyes forever leaving this world. Never again would I be able to gaze into them and fall helplessly for my mysterious kidnapper who I had grown to know and love. I screamed picking up a handful of grass I threw it has hard as I could sobbing then even though he was dead and could no longer hear me I pounded on his chest with my fists. "Why did you have to leave me?!" I sobbed clinging on his shirt.
       "He didn't have a choice,dearie."
      I gasped startled. Standing there was the Great Wizard dressed in his weird red robe that brushed the ground. I wiped my eyes, "What are you doing here?" I asked motionless.
       "Here to pay my regards it's a shame he had to die, but he simply had to."
        "He didn't have to die, he loved me!" I looked down at Hayden's face, "I loved him." tears welled up in my eyes.
         The Great Wizard waved a hand like he was waving off a peaty fly, "Don't cry,  dearie, he was destined to die anyways."
     My eyes moistened with tears I stared blankly at the Great Wizard, "What do you mean he was destined to die?" Then I looked around me everything that has happened has been all part of the Great a Wizard's sick game. He grinned showing his rotting teeth realizing I figured it out, "You..... You wanted this to happen!" I spit out angrily standing up to face the Great Wizard.
      "Well of course I did! I planned it!" He said smiling like an insane evil person which was exactly what he was.
     "But why! What did Hayden ever do to you?"
     The Great Wizard laughed cruelly, "Absolutely nothing, dearie."
     Angrily I snatched the silver necklace with the pink diamond off my neck and threw it down at his feet, "Here! Take your stupid necklace!"
     He laughed again, "You are a naive princess. You really think I would want a silly necklace? The mission was never about you getting that necklace!"
        I felt sick this old man was crazy! "You mean to tell me this mission was all about Hayden and me falling in love so you could have the pleasure of him dying?!" I said disgusted.
      The Great Wizard giggled his high pitch giggle, "Precisely, that's why I had him kidnap you, I watched you two from my magic ball bitter batter and argue together so cute! Then I sent you to fetch me a necklace that I never even wanted just so I could give him a new job in protecting you on your trip to Agog. I watched you two fall in love it was so precious! I knew his heart wouldn't be able to resist you!" He picked up the necklace off the ground and brushed it off, "Besides this gift was always meant to be yours."
      I snatched the necklace from his filthy hands and clasped it to my neck then I glared at him, "This may all be a fun cruel game to you, but I won't be any part of your game. You can take everything that is important to me out of my life, but that won't stop me. No matter what you do, I will break this curse."

                                                             To Be Continued

A/N- Hi readers I hoped you enjoyed the first book of Happily Ever After........NOT! I'm sad to have to kill Hayden just when things were looking interesting for him and Amaya! I've loved watching their love blossom and grow. They went from being two people who hated each other and couldn't wait to get rid of each other to two lovers who cared about the other more than anything in the world and loved each other so much! Unfortunately my plan from the very beginning was for Hayden to die. May you rest in peace Hayden Marx! If you loved this story and can't wait for the sequel you won't have to wait long!
       Coming soon Happily Ever After........Maybe