Chapter Eleven

Hungry and freezing from our adventure in the pond we didn't want to go all the way back to the dirt path just to have to start a fire and then cook dinner, so instead we decided to stay in the grass. Then in the morning we'll head back to the dirt path and continue to Agog.
      Hayden stopped and surveyed the tall grass around us, "This looks like a good spot to stop." He dropped to his feet and taking out a dagger from his burlap sack he started cutting off the slimy green frogs' legs, he stopped his work to glance up at me, "Do you mind looking for sticks for a fire?"
    I nodded, "I'm on it." I searched for wood and sticks, I've gotten pretty good at finding them over the past days.
    When I arrived back with an arm load of sticks Hayden had already skinned and put the frogs' legs on two sticks. He even had gotten some of the wild grass on fire already to help. "Perfect timing." He said, as he took the sticks from my arms he smiled at me, "Thanks."
    I blushed a little when he smiled at me, but I returned his smile. Then I went about walking all around flattening the grass so we could lay down and sleep after the frog legs were done. I couldn't wait to sleep tonight not only was I tired, but sleeping on the soft grass sounded like heaven. It would be way better than sleeping on the hard dirt path.
    Once Hayden got the fire blazing he used expert skill and slowly turned the sticks with the frog legs over the fire being careful not to get it too close in the fire. I sat down next to Hayden by the fire, I shivered and wrapped my arms around my legs pulling myself into a ball.
    "You're freezing." Hayden pointed out as I shook and held myself trying to get warm.
    "No, I'm fine." I lied.
     "No, you're not." Hayden set the frog legs aside and standing up he stood behind me. Laying his hands on my shoulders he said, "Stand up."
     Slowly I obeyed, I looked up into his brown eyes.
     "We need to get you out of those wet clothes." He sounded so calm it made it sound so easy.
    "What no!" I argued.
    "Amaya you really don't have a choice, it's cold out. We leave you in those wet clothes you will get sick." He paused then added, "I'm going to take my shirt off as well so I don't get sick."
    "Hayden, I don't have any other clothes!"
     He tugged gently on my sleeve, "We'll leave you Cotten shirt on, it's long enough it'll go over your butt."
    I made a sour face, I wasn't happy with the idea. "Fine." I finally said.
    Hayden helped me get my red vest off.
    "I'll do my pants myself, turn around, and close your eyes." I ordered him.
    He stepped back and turned around so his back faced me. Sighing I turned around too, tugging and pulling at my red leather pants trying to get them off. It was very hard to get them off because they were so wet. Finally I got them off and laid them to the side, while I tugged my thin cotton shirt down. I grimaced, the shirt barely covered my butt leaving a lot of my bare legs showing. I didn't like how much skin was showing, not only where my legs bare, but without the red vest more of my cleavage showed than I liked. I glanced at the top where it dipped and had thin strings that criss crossed and tied right in front of my bosom. I pulled my cotton shirt trying to get it to go over my legs more, but with no use. "Okay you can turn around now" I said.
    Hayden turned around and looked at me in my skimpy shirt, he ran his fingers through his dark hair.
    I turned so I wasn't looking at him, this just got awkward. I picked up my pants and vest and laid them out in the grass. When I turned back around Hayden had taken his black leather jacket off and had laid it over some of the grass to dry too. He picked up the frog legs and started cooking them over the fire again. Fire light danced on his face as he looked up at me as I came over and sat beside him.
    We sat there just listening to the fire crackle and pop. Somewhere in the distance a coyote howled.
     "You where having a lot of fun back there in that pond." I said elbowing him playfully.
     He ducked his head and smiled, "Henry and I would go frog hunting all the time, we always had so much fun."
     "Henry?"
     Hayden looked at me, "My brother." He said softly, then he laugh a big smile lighting up his face, "We would go hunting for frogs everyday if we could! Sometimes we would even catch extra frogs and sell them for a pretty shekel."
     I smiled, "It sounds like you two were perfect for each other.. Henry was lucky to have you as a brother."
     "More like the other way around, I was lucky to have Henry. He kept my head in place and loved unconditionally, he had the biggest heart...." The was a long silence between us. Then Hayden pulled the sticks out, "The frog legs are done!" He handed me a stick with two legs that were crispy and brown. "For you M'lady."
    "Why thank you kind sir." I joked taking the stick, I held the stick up observing the legs. Gently I put it to my nose and sniffed.
     Hayden laughed, "They're not going to jump off princess."
     I looked up from the stick, "I know that."
    Hayden shrugged grinning, "Well then cheers!" He knocked his stick with two frog legs into mine and then took a big bite closing his eyes as he chewed savoring the taste.
     Slowly I opened my mouth and let my teeth sink into one of the legs, I took a small bite. Juice from the frog leg and meat exploded in my mouth in this sweet flavor. My eyes light up making Hayden laugh.
   "It's awesome isn't it?!" He said watching me chew.
   I nodded vigorously, "It's amazing! It's just like chicken in orange sauce back in the place! But with out the orange sauce!"
   Hayden chuckled, "I don't know what that is, but by the way you're acting it must be really good, so I take that as you love it."
    I took a bigger bite of the frog leg this time, juice slid down the corner of my chin, oh if Mother and Father only saw the way I was eating now! They'll be horrified!
   Hayden bent over and wiped the juice off my chin with his fingers, then he stuck his fingers in his mouth licking off the taste of the juice.
   I smiled, "So about your curse."
   Hayden threw his head back and laughed, "You're not going to give up are you, princess?"
    "No I'm not, and you did say you'll say more when we stopped. So your Curse of Love, do you fall in love with everybody."
    Hayden's smile vanished replaced with a serious face. His voice emotionless he said, "No, more like the opposite."
    "Oh come on Hayden, everyone can love!"
     Hayden shook his head, "It's not that I can't love, it's that I won't."
     "Why not?"
      Hayden shrugged, "It's the cost of my curse." He looked away into the dark night.
     I placed my hand on top of his, "Whatever it is. You can tell me, any curse can be broken
       "Not mine, if I tell someone I have feelings for them, if I so much as breathe the words I love you to someone. My heart will stop, and I'll die."
     "That's horrible!" I gasped.
     "It's not too bad, I've had it for two years now and have done a pretty good job. I just keep to myself and not let anyone in...."
     I squeezed his hand, "I'm so sorry Hayden." I paused thinking, "But there has to be a way to break it!"
    "If a way, you mean me dying. Then yes there is a way." Hayden said, his face a mask of emotion I couldn't read.
     "There has to be another way!" I argued.
     Hayden gave me a small smile, that seemed to say I've tried everything Amaya I have no hope left, "Well if you find a way, let me know."  Hayden stood up and moved to one of the flatten spots in the grass. He lifted his long arms and pulled his black cotton shirt over his head and laid it in the grass.
     I lowered my head staring at the grass not wanting to stare at Hayden shirtless. I stood up and moved to my spot opposite of Hayden's spot with only the hot fire between us. "We'll find a way to break both our curses Hayden, I promise." I laid facing the fire where I could glimpse a little bit of his face on the other side.
    "If you want to get your hopes up and try then go ahead, but I've accepted who I am and I'm fine living this way." 
     I shook my head sadly, "No one can be happy living with a curse."
      Hayden turned so he wasn't facing me, over his should he said, "Maybe not you since your curse is unhappiness, but I am. Now good night, Amaya."
      I rolled over on my back and frown up at the night's sky with it's twinkling stars that shone like fairy dust. Hayden may think that he's happy with his curse,  but he's wrong. I know him, or I'm starting to, and deep down I can feel he's still holds back. That really deep down there's a man who wants to be rid of the curse and be able to say I love you to a special girl and not die. He doesn't want to hide his feelings and fears, he doesn't want to build all these walls up and keep to himself. Surely there has to be a way for him to break his curse without having to die. Nobody should go through life and not be able to say I love you.
                                                                 ~
      Birds chirped and fluttered about as the sun shined brightly in my eyes as I opened them. Rolling over I glanced towards the spot where Hayden was sleeping, except Hayden wasn't there.  I sat up and wrapped my arms around myself, where did he go? The camp spot was bare, and I couldn't see him in any direction. Then a thought flashed in my head, he had so much fun at the pond he must have gone back to get more frogs for breakfast. I jumped to my feet and putting my red boots on I left for the pond.
    "Ouch!" I cried as the tall grass scratched my bare legs, I grumbled at myself for not putting my red leather pants back on. They were probably dry and a lot more covering than my skimpy shirt. At least I remembered to but my boots on as I trampled through the tall grass.  Nearing the pond I slowed down my steps, maybe if I was quiet I could scare Hayden! I smiled to myself then pulled back the long cattails  to see into the pond. What I saw made me gasp and close my eyes. Hayden wasn't catching frogs in the pond, he was naked cleansing himself! His clothing laid off to the side on one of the rocks and Hayden was in the middle of the pond rubbing water on his muscular arms.
    I knew I should have just walked away and went back to the camp, but I couldn't help but stare at Hayden's bare chest! He was so tan and his shoulders and arms buckled as he bent them showing how much muscles he had. My eyes traveled down to his chest, and torso that were muscular too. He even had a cute butt! I shook myself of the thoughts that came to my mind. What was this feeling that was coming over me?! I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.... I turned and ran as fast as I could back to the camp.
     Reaching camp I grabbed my dry leather pants and pulled them up, then I put my red leather vest on as well. I sat not sure what to do next, I sure didn't want to go back to the pond! My thoughts traveled to at the Great a Wizard's cabin to where he asked if Hayden cared for me and Hayden quickly answered no that he knew that couldn't happen anymore.  That was the first time I heard about his curse, because the Great Wizard brought it up.  Not Hayden...... My eyes widen as a thought a cured what if Hayden never planned on telling me he was cursed?! And what if he was never going to tell me because he was scared I was going to fall in love with him?! A twig snapped and I jumped. Then relaxed as I saw Hayden emerging from the tall grass. My heart jumped in my chest and a tingling feeling came over me.
    "Hey there you are!" I said pretending I had no clue where he was.
     "Hi." Hayden smiled his hair dripping wet. "I was at the pond, you should have come!"
     Right..... I thought to myself and see you naked!
     "The water is really relaxing."
    Images of him naked in that water flashed in my head. "Nooo, I'll rather just stay on dry land." I handed him an apple from my burlap sack.
      Hayden shrugged, "Okay, and thanks, are you ready to head out?"
     I nodded, but before I could hop up Hayden offered me his hand. I didn't want to be rude by refusing it, so I took his strong hand and he pulled me up. We stomped through the tall grass back to the dirt path.
    Hayden looked both ways down the path, "Did we come from left or right?" He asked.
    I was about to yell at him that he got us lost and how could he possibly get us lost when I saw a glimmer in his eyes. I shoved him hard making him fall down. "You!"
    He laughed and hopped to his feet, "You should have seen your face!" He ran down the path and I chased after him.
     "You're going to pay for this!" I yelled.
     We walked, walked, and just for some more fun we walked some more. My thoughts went back to why he didn't tell me about his curse.
     "Hayden, why didn't you tell me you were cursed sooner??"
     "Geez I didn't know my personal life had to be posted all over the world." He chuckled.
      "Did you keep it from me because you're scared I was going to fall in love with you?"
     "I'm not scared." Hayden said quickly.
     "Is that why you don't tell anyone about it?"
     "I don't tell anyone because it's none of their bloody business!" Hayden yelled getting angry.
     "No, you don't tell people because you're scare they're fall in love with you and you can't have feelings for them."
     "I said I'm not scared!"
     "Really?" I questioned him.
     He squinted his eyes at me, "Is that what you want? You want me to say I'm scared? All right princess I am scared, everyday. Because it's easier to build walls up and keep people out if I don't share my personal life. So yes I keep it a secret because I'm scared someone's going to fall in love with me. Are you happy!" He roared.
     I stood there stunned, I've never seen him so angry. "I understand Hayden, I said slowly.
     "You understand nothing! You can love someone all you want!"
      "Yes, but that's the problem no one wants me! I can't be happy remember?" I took his arm and gazed up at him. "I'm sorry I made you upset, but I promise I won't fall in love with you."