Chapter Twenty-One

The streets of Agog were packed with people bustling about, vendors stood on the side shouting out stuff they had for sale while on either side of us people pushed their way through. Children in filthy rags darted between people often snatching a small pouch from someone's waist band.
      Hayden leaned close to my ear and whispered, "Keep an eye on your belongings, orphan children that live on the streets will look for any opportunity to steal from a beautiful girl like yourself."
      I smiled at him, "You think I'm beautiful?" I pulled my burlap sack closer to me.
     To answer my question he kissed my hand that he held, "I know it."
      Somewhere beside me a shoulder bumped into mine causing me to fall towards Hayden.
      With fast reflexes Hayden's arms grabbed my waist and he steadied me, "Whoa you alright?"
      I nodded, "It's so crowded in Agog."
     We continued pushing our way through the crowds of people, "Yeah it's the Princess of Agog's birthday." Hayden shook his head and smiled, "The Great Wizard planned this perfectly a busy day like this is a perfect day to steal that necklace; with so many people around it should be easy to get into the castle without being noticed. Once they realize the necklace is missing we'll be long gone." Hayden smiled at me. Together we weaved our way through the crowds as street vendors shouted out and stopped us trying to get us to to buy whatever they were selling. Politely Hayden turned them down  and kept us moving.
      Ahead of us the castle of Agog become more clear as it towered high over us in all its magnificent glory.
       "Well princess we've arrived welcome to the castle of Agog." Hayden spread his arms wide.
       I looked up in awe at the castle which stood on a hill surrounded by a lake, a smooth stone bridge stretched over the lake connecting the castle of Agog to the town. High over us the castle loomed tall and wide with many towers made from the same white marble as the castle and topped with a red shingle triangular pointed roof. A balcony overlooked the front of the castle and there were too many windows and fancy angel gargoyles  to count. The giant marble staircase flowed down like a wave and at the top of the staircase descending on either side was two white marble pillars. Then there was the giant doors with etched carving in the mahogany wood that opened into the beautiful castle itself. Surrounding the white marble castle was a tall white marble wall protecting it from stormy nights on the lake. Guards stood guard just outside the two carved mahogany wooden doors and also more guards stood just past the smooth stoned bridge. I looked down at my dusty dirty traveling clothes the Great Wizard and suddenly felt a little self-conscious. My clothes didn't feel right entering a magnificent castle such as this.
     Hayden looked back at me wondering why I stopped, "What's wrong?" He asked.
     I shuffled my feet feeling silly for being self-conscious about a little thing such as clothes when I should be worried what the heck we're doing stealing a necklace from a Queen! "I.... Just look at me Hayden? My clothes are a mess I can't wear these into that castle."
     He let his eyes travel from head to toe and back up again. He shrugged, "You look fine to me."
      "You're just saying that to be nice! Hayden my clothes are dirty and I've sweated like a pig in them. This is no outfit to be seen in when we're about to go in a wonderful castle."
      Hayden let out a laugh, "We're going there to steal a necklace not meet the Royal Queen herself!" Then he stopped and noticed I was dead serious, he ran a hand through his black hair, "Alright princess, if you want a new outfit to wear on our heist then so be it."
      I let out a squeal of glee clapping my hands together. I wrapped my arms around Hayden's arm, "Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! I promise you won't be disappointed." I led him off down the streets till I found a cute little shop with a glass window that had mannequins dressed in lovely gowns. A wooden sign that said Magdalena's Dress Shop swung below the door to the shop. Getting excited by the minute I opened the door to the shop sending a little bell over the door jingling on a string.
         I looked around at the cute little shop. The floors were wooden and the walls were an olive green color. Off to the left was a room filled with dresses from any kind of material or color you could imagine. There were frills, silk, puffy dresses with puffy sleeves, long dresses, and short dresses, dresses with way too much sparkle, or dresses with way too many bows. Dresses that were pink, purple, green, red, blue, to even black, or grey. On the right side of the room was two doors that swung back and forth one read employees only and the other was a dressing room I supposed.
       A lady hearing the bell jingle above us rushed from the swinging doors marked employees. She wore a crazy purple dress that stopped at the knees and had all different shapes and colored buttons sewn onto it. Her hair was up in a messy blond bun and across her shoulder was a measuring tape that trailed behind her as she ran into the room. "Ahhh bonjour! My friends, welcome to Magdalena's dress shop!" The lady said with a thick French accent.
       My face brighten recognizing the lady's accent, I had taken years of French lessons in the palace and could speak French fluently like it was my first language "Bonne  journée mademoiselle je cherche une robe." I said which meant Good day Ma'am I'm looking for a dress.
      Hayden started at me like he's never seen me before. I guess he didn't know French. The woman's eyes sparkled, she threw her hands up in the air, "Ahh welcome welcome! You speak French?!"
     I smiled and nodded, "Yes very well, but I'm afraid he doesn't." I gently elbowed Hayden playfully and smiled.
      "I see, do you want a gown specifically design for you?"
       I shook my head, "No I'm afraid we're only here for today and need, a gown that's already made."
       "Very well, very well, all these dresses in the shop are made by yours truely and you'll find none but the best in Magdalena's Shop!" She led us over to the racks of dresses, "And would your man be needing an outfit as well." She gave us a wink.
       Hayden quickly shook his head, "No I'm quiet find in my black leather, thank you."
      Magdalena nodded and left us to search through the dresses. I leafed through the dresses pulling some off and showing them to Hayden who shook his head so I put them back on the rack.
     Hayden watched me search through the dresses, "So you speak French?"
     "Yep and about a dozen other languages." I laughed, "Princesses must be able to communicate with people in different languages."
      "The things royalty does to impress people." Hayden grinned.
      "Tell me about it." I pulled a teal blue strapless dress off rack. The bust was gold with sequins covering it, and the skirt was made with silky teal blue material that hugged your hips and flowed to the floor. I held it out for Hayden to see.
       Hayden cocked his head to the side and shrugged.
       I sighed and held on to the dress as I continued looking for dresses.
      "Hey what about this one?" Hayden held out a red dress with thin noodle straps. The sides of the dress was open and had two strings that went down crisscrossing each other and tying at the hips. 
       I made a face at him which made him laugh, "Absolutely not!"
       Hayden placed the dress back in the rack and we continued searching. When I had found four dresses to try on I excused myself and went to the dressing room to try them on while Hayden stood out in the foyer. His footsteps softly tapped the wooden floor as he paced back and forth.
     I smiled to myself slipping out of my clothes from behind the swinging doors. I could picture him in my head pacing back and forth with his hand running through his black curly hair.
       I slipped on the first dress I was going to try on which was the teal blue strapless dress that I loved with the gold sequin bust and the teal blue skirt of the dress that flowed to the ground and hugged my hips. Slowly I pulled back the swinging door and stepped out for Hayden to see me, with each step I took the skirt of the dress rolled out at my feet like a wave rolling out onto the sand.
        As I walked out Hayden stopped pacing and looked at me very carefully his eyes traveling from my face down to my toes and back up again.
        I held my arms out and twirled , "What do you think?"
       "Are you going to a castle or under the sea?" He grinned.
        I looked down at the blue teal skirt of the dress; it did look a mermaid's tail. With a sigh I went back into the dressing room.
         Hayden knocked softly on the door as I slipped out of the dress.
          "Was it really that bad?" I asked.
         From behind the door he answered, "It wasn't bad. Just wasn't you."
     Next I put on the yellow dress with silky sleeves that had a silky yellow sash that tied around the waist. The skirt of the dress dropped to the floor with three layers. The bottom layer was silky yellow and the top two were made from a see through yellow material. I came into trouble with the dress though when I couldn't button the button on the back. Frustrated that my arms weren't long enough to reach the tiny buttons I peeked out at Hayden who again was pacing the floor.
       He stopped looked at me seeing the look of frustration on my face he asked, "What is it?"
        My cheeks turned a light pink, "I can't button the buttons," I turned around showing the unbutton buttons to him that went from my shoulder blade down to my waist, "do you mind?" I asked pulling my hair to the side.
       Hayden chuckled and walked up to me. Starting at the top he slowly button each button his fingers gently brushed my bare skin as he took each button and slid it through the hole.
       I held my breath, he was so close I could feel the heat from his body and his breath was warm on my neck and with every small touch of his fingers brushing my skin it sent my head twirling with thoughts.
       "You're so needy." He said a smile lit his face.
       He finished helping me and I turned around to face him.
      I curtsied to him, "Well thank you kind sir."
      He smiled and took my hand he spun me around and into my arms where he held me close his arms wrapped around me. My back pressed against his, and my arms gently touched his arms.
      He leaned in close to my ear and whispered, "Are you going to the castle to steal a necklace or go to the ball?" Then taking my hand he spun me out from him.
       I laughed, "Will no dress please you?"
       "Maybe if you found one that isn't as noticeable. We get in and get out unseen." 
       Nodding I went back to the dressing room and turned around so Hayden could unbutton the dress. Then once he closed the door I slipped out of the yellow dress and grabbed the last dress to try one. This one was plain the material wasn't made of silk or velvet like any of my dresses at home. It was a soft red material with little swirls of light blue in the dress. The sleeves stopped at my elbows and the bust was low offering a fair amount of my bosom to be seen. The front had red ties that crossed crossed down the front of the dress stopping at the skirt that swished out around me in bouncy ruffles.
      Hayden knocked softly on the door, "Hey Amaya? Maybe we're not going to find a dress... And that's okay because...." He stopped as I stepped out in the red simple dress.  His mouth formed an 'o' as he stared speechless at me.
       I ran my fingers down the crisscross strings of the dress, I smiled, "From your reaction I'm guessing this is the one?" I turned towards the mirror and gazed at my reflection.
       "Amaya.... You're  more beautiful than any jewel in all the lands."
       I blushed from his compliment. I turned around to face him and smiled, "Ready to steal a necklace?"
       Hayden paid for the dress and we left Magdalena's Dress Shop. We walked back up the cobblestone streets to the stone bridge that led to the castle. The guards watched us walk near, but when they didn't say a word we kept walking. I could hear the sound of the water below us lap over rocks as we walked across the long bridge. The smell of the water hung in the air smelling so fresh and good that I wanted to bottle it up in a bottle to smell later. I looked up at the huge magnificent marble castle and stepped onto the cold marble staircase that stretched out wider than Rollick's wide staircase.
      "Hey where are you going?" Hayden asked.
       I pointed up, "Inside the castle where else will we be going?"
       Hayden shook his head, "It'll never work, they'll never let us through those doors."
        "I've never been denied access inside."  I said as I started walking up the staircase.
       Hayden followed me, "Yeah when you were dress as royalty." He pointed out. "These are different for us commoners."
     I ignored him and we climbed the marble staircase to the big ivory doors where two more guardsstood protecting the castle. They wore navy blue pants and red shirts and in their hands were long spears. Their faces were blank of emotions.
       We stepped onto the landing when the guard on the right spoke in a rough voice, "Who are you?"
        Hayden opened his mouth to speak but feeling confident I took over, "We're here to see the Queen." I turned to Hayden and flashed him a smile.
       The guard frowned and exchanged glances with the other guard. "I'm sorry King Anson and Queen Cambria aren't seeing anybody commoners today."
        Commoners! He did not just call us commoners! I have heard that word many times addressing people in lower ranks, in fact I have called people commoners before too. I didn't realize how much it separated people, and how much it stung to be called a commoner. "I beg your pardon!"
        Hayden gently touched my elbow, "Amaya, don't. Let's go." He whispered.
        The other guard nodded, "Listen to your  bae sweetie  and get back to the streets where you belong."
          "How dare you!" I burst. "I'm not a commoner! I'm princess of Hmmp!" I screamed as Hayden covered my mouth with his hand.
           "Forgive her! She's not quiet herself, you see today is her first day out of the asylum. She's a little crazy and always believed that she was of royal blood line and was a princess." Hayden turned me around, and started walking down the stairs with me, "Come on, let's get you back to the asylum." He said not once looking back to see if the guards were watching.
         When we got to the bottom of the grand marble staircase Hayden pulled me off to the side and with a finger to his lips and his arm still around me he motioned me to follow him through the grass at the edge of the castle. When I was sure no one could see us I pushed his arm off me and gave him a light shove.
      "Ow! What was that for?" He asked.
      "Can't believe you told them I belong in an asylum!"
      "You were about to tell those men who you are, and let me remind you you're wanted by the King of Rollick for treason and a murder that you didn't commit. You can't just blurt out who you are unless you want your father to find you."
       He was right. My father would stop at nothing to get me back even if I did nothing wrong. "Okay so what's your plan now for getting in?"
      He smiled, "I was hoping you'll asked." He peeked around the side of the castle, "Ever wondered how I was able to get in unseen to kidnap you?"
      I shrugged, "It never really crossed my mind, but sure."
     "We'll go in through the servant entrance."
      "What! But we're not servants here Hayden..... They'll catch us."
      Hayden took my hand and as we slowly walked to the servant entrance where a big wooden wagon was parked right in front of it and lots of servants were carrying what looked like supplies and food inside. Hayden leaned in and whispered, "Just act like you belong here." He let go of my hand and walked ahead of me towards the wooden wagon where he heaved two large bags of flour onto his shoulders. Turning around he winked at me and walked through the servant's entrance into a crowded kitchen.
       I took a deep breath and picking up one bag of flour from the wagon I tried to lift it up like Hayden did but I failed horrible at it. It was so heavy I  barely get it up off the floor; instead I dragged it on the ground and the kitchen.
     The kitchen was big and crowded with cooks and servants bubbling about cooking, preparing things, and putting things away. Some of the cooks and servants stared at me dragging the bag of flour.
      Hayden had laid his down on the floor beside a wooden table, he saw their curious stares and quickly laughed, "She's new." Then he came over to me and picked up my bag of flour with ease and hissed, "We're suppose to lay low, not make a scene!"
      "I can't help it the bag of flour was heavy!"
       Hayden glanced around nervously, but to our luck the cooks and servants had went back to doing their jobs and wasn't staring at me anymore. He touched my elbow gently and nodded off to the right where a narrow staircase led upstairs.
      Without a word we quietly walked up the staircase till we reached a long hallway with red carpet and portrait after portrait of Kings and Queens of Agog decorated in fancy frames and spaced just evenly apart from each other.
       Hayden looked behind us to make sure nobody was following us, "You're a princess, so where do you think they'll keep the necklace? in the Royal safe?"
       "Yes, or the in the Queen's chamber if she likes it or wears it a lot."
        "Great how are we suppose to find the Queen's chamber? Just open every bloody door till we find one."
        I stopped at a carved mahogany table that held a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a silver vase. I gently fingered one of the flowers.
         "Now's not the time to fancy over silly flowers, Princess."
          I picked up the whole bouquet of flowers, "The Queen needs some flowers." I said with a grin and started walking down the grand hallway.
        Hayden chased after me, "Yeah but that still doesn't explain how we're going to even find her chamber."
         We neared a corner and my eyes lit up as I saw a lady dressed in a purple gown bossing two servants around.
        "No no, the curtains have to be higher! Maria! I told you the Queen wanted light pink napkins for the Princess's birthday ball not violet!" The lady sighed loudly in frustration.
         "What the are you doing!" Hayden whispered as I marched right up the lady. I kept my head low on the ground and held the flowers tightly in my hands. Hayden stood back in the shadows. "We're bloody dead." He muttered.
        "Excuse me, I'm suppose to deliver these to the Queen's chamber." I said looking the lady in the eyes then lowering my eyes to the floor.
       The lady in charge looked me over and frowned, "I've never seen you before, what's your name?"
        "I'm new Ma'am, I was just told to deliver these flowers for the Queen."
        Suddenly there was a loud crash as the golden curtain rod came crashing to the floor. "Opps!" The servant exclaimed from the ladder where by the large glass window.
       "Ugh Henry! That's the third curtain rod this morning! You're to raise the curtains higher not drop them on the floor!" The woman yelled then she turned back to me, "Ahh yes, the flowers for the Queen." She pointed down a hallway to the left, "The Queen's chamber is down there take a right where it splits into another hallway a and it's the third  door on your right double doors you can't miss it."
      With a quick nod I hurried off down the hallway like she said, but instead of stopping right at the Queen's chamber I doubled back around to Hayden and together we weaved our way through  a different set of hallways so that we wouldn't  get caught by the lady bossing everyone. We may have made it past her once but I hated to take the chance and have her get suspicious. Stopping right outside the Queen's chamber Hayden quickly looked around us to make sure nobody was watching then he opened the door for me, "How did you know that lady would tell us where to go?"  
     "The way she was giving orders she had to be the head mistress and in a lot of stress from preparing for the birthday ball. I just saw the perfect timing to ask and since I had flowers to deliver and she's in so much stress she wouldn't think twice of someone asking."
     Hayden grinned. "You're smart for a princess, so I'll stay guard here and you get the necklace?"
      I nodded.
     "And Amaya hurry." Hayden closed the carved wooden door behind me.
      I looked around at the big spacious room around me. There was a tall window straight ahead of me that stretched from the ceiling to the floor and overlooked the waters and mountains that laid in the distance. The floor was made of oak and glistened from being freshly polished. A fire place was off to the side with a red velvet rug and clawed foot couch off to the side to enjoy the warmed of the fire on. Beside the couch was a mahogany table with clawed feet as well. In the middle of the room a giant king size canopy bed with white silk that fell down off the four bed posts and a white as snow blanket covered the bed and it's many fluffy pillows. Against the wall was a long mahogany dresser with beautiful wooden carvings and golden handles. On top of the dresser was a jewelry box that was hand carved and was one of the most beautiful jewelry boxes I had ever seen.
       I placed the bouquet of flowers on the mahogany clawed foot table by the couch and then made my way over to the beautiful jewelry box. I peeked around me to make sure nobody was there, then I opened the jewelry box and gasped. There was so many beautiful pieces of jewelry! From gold and silver bracelets to necklaces that sparked with diamonds of all colors to little rings with diamonds as well. Seeing all this jewelry made me think of home and all the fun times I had dressing up and wearing find jewelry like this. Those days are long gone now. Who knows if I'll ever wear a evening gown again and sparkling jewelry again. "This is it!" I whispered excitedly pulling out the delicate silver necklace that held the pink diamond charm. I held it up in the light letting it sparkle. It sure was a beautiful necklace. I was so busy admiring the necklace that I didn't realize that someone's face reflected in the diamond as they watched me with the necklace.
         "What are you doing?" A voice behind me spoke.
          Startled I gasped and twirled around to find myself face to face with the Queen herself.