Chapter 2- Coming of Age

24th May, 2020

The scent of freshly made pancakes wafted into the bedroom where a 10 year old girl lay fast asleep with an orange rodent-like Pokémon in her arms. As the smell reached her nostrils, the girl sighed in contentment before her eyes snapped open and she jumped out of bed, startling the Pokémon.

"It's today, it's today, it's today!" the girl shouted, prancing around her room ecstatically.

"Nene?" the rodent exclaimed groggily, looking quite disgruntled by the rude awakening.

"Sorry Dedenne," the girl apologised "but today's the day I finally become a trainer! You and I can finally start our journey together. Think of all the battles and performances; all the strong trainers and cute Pokémon. I just can't wait."

With this the girl sprinted out of the room and downstairs with the equally excited Electric/Fairy type jumping onto her shoulder.

The smell grew stronger as she flew down the stairs, into the living room and attached kitchen, where a man in denim overalls and a navy blue long-sleeved undershirt was busy making breakfast for himself and his children. He was humming a tune under his breath as he cooked, but upon noticing his daughter entering the room he dropped everything and a smile broke out on his face.

Bonnie ran up to her dad and was enveloped in a hug along with a hearty "Happy Birthday!" from the mechanic, whose expression then turned thoughtful.

"I can't believe my little girl is ready to become a trainer, it'll only be a few more days and you'll be out on your own journey," commented Meyer with a melancholy tone, dreading the silence that would blanket the house when the energetic girl wasn't around anymore.

"Aww Daddy, you know Dedenne and I will visit as much as we can, and we'll call you from every Pokemon Centre," reassured Bonnie "Ooh, and once I catch a cute flying type, I'll be able to fly to Lumiose City as much as I want!"

Meyer laughed at his daughter's enthusiasm, putting away his doubts for the time being and deciding to celebrate for her sake, "Alright then, I can't wait. Now hurry up and finish your breakfast, both of you, Clemont and the Professor are waiting for you at the lab so that you can pick your starter."

Bonnie nodded and started wolfing down the pancakes while Dedenne attacked the bowl of Pokémon food with equal gusto.

—————————————————————————————————————

Bonnie walked up to the lab's main entrance with Dedenne in her sling bag. She pushed open the large doors and they swung inwards to reveal the entrance hall.

The walls were decked with balloons and streamers, seven tables were arranged on the right side, with each one having a bouquet in the centre and helium balloons in the shape of a set of starter Pokémon hovered above the flowers.

The left side had a small stage and seemed to be a dance floor. In the middle, a young man in a sky-blue jumpsuit was stood precariously on a high stool, attempting to attach a banner to the ceiling in two places so that it hung across the staircase, while another man, who was wearing a lab coat, held the stool in place. The banner read: 'Happy Birthday to the Future Kalos Queen and Champion!'

Upon hearing the doors open, the man in the lab coat turned to free the new arrival. Unfortunately, this meant he let go of the stool and the younger man fell to the ground with a surprised yelp and a crash.

"Big brother are you alright?," asked the girl, running up to check on her sibling.

"Yeah, I'm fine, it's ok," he responded as he got to his feet and straightened his glasses, before giving his sister a hug "Happy Birthday though Bon."