9. The Final Test {Origins-2}

My name is Thea Queen.

After being stranded for five years on an hellish island, my brother finally found his way back home. Until about 2 years ago, when I lost him again.

Now, I have picked up the fight from where he left off. All of it, with only one goalTo honor his memory.

Using the list of names left behind by our father, I bring down those who are poisoning our city...in hopes that one day, I'll bring his killer to justice.

But to do so, I can't be the billionaire spoiled partygirl I once was. I have to forge myself into a weapon.

I have to become someone else. I have to be...something...else...

Malcolm

"Remember. I'm just here to observe," I almost whispered, perched alongside the roof wall with her.

"Or point at my mistakes.." she hit back with a glare too sharp to not see, even in this darkness.

"Daughter, focus. And if you think I just point at your mistakes, then as my student, it is your task, nay duty, to make sure that you just don't make one.."

"Yeah. Yeah...why not?"

'She's too snarky to be an assassin,' my only thought.

"Remember your moves and trust your instincts. In the field, skill doesn't matter as much as your gut does. It says you bend, then, you better bend. It says you-"

"I won't ever forget your valuable lessons. Now, can I get to work?" her voice breaking through to interrupt me.

I held her arm with my right hand and turned her with force to face me.

"Listen-" I said, squeezing her arm some more in the process.

"This isn't a joke. So, you better treat this seriously..."

She shrugged my hand off her, rubbing it for relief.

"Ouch!" she reacted mockingly and looked straight at me in disbelief.

"I may have held tighter than required...I apologi-"

"I am taking this seriously," she cut me off again. This time in anger.

"Yeah, then, why did you wear your brother's suit?" my eyes looking at the blackish-green suit which, despite my reluctance, was hidden nicely in the darkness with little to no light on the roof or in the alley down below.

How I used to hate that suit...she'll never know.

"Because, I'm doing it for him, dumbo," her voice firm. "Plus, wearing this..it gives me confidence."

I couldn't help but smile at the words.

"If you need a piece of clothing to gain confidence, then, maybe you're not as ready as I thought you were.."

"Malcolm...Do you need to over-analyse everything? Why can't I just focus on the task at hand and honor my brother at the same time?"