Tiny details

(Past)

Shoyo Hinata was just over 6 months old when his soulmate mark appeared. His mother was surprised because it wasn't very common to get your soul mark that young, his soulmate must have just been born around Christmas.

Shoyo was four years old when he found his soul mark on his hip. It was a small round mark, it looked like a ball. He desperately tried to wash it off before running to tell his mom about it.

His mother reassured him that it wasn't dirt and wouldn't come off. She told him that there was someone out in the world with a matching mark and one day he might be able to find them. But only if he was patient.

Shoyo wasn't a very patient person.

He wanted to know who the other person was right then. Every time he made a new friend in school he'd ask them about their soul mark, hoping to find his soulmate.

When he was 10, his little sister Natsu told him it looked like a volleyball. He had seen the Nationals where Karasuno High played, where he saw the Tiny Giant for the first time, where he fell in love with volleyball. It made him very happy to know he might meet his soulmate because of volleyball.

Finding your soulmate was a lot harder than he originally thought. However, over the years he managed to meet other people that had found their soulmates and was able to learn interesting things about the marks.

Usually the tiny detail of a couples mark wasn't revealed until the soulmates made physical contact for the first time.

The most common revealing methods were holding hands, hugging or kissing. Shoyo found that quick hugs, karate chops and kicking weren't effective.

Some soulmates were platonic, a best friend for life. Others were romantic, finding a best friend to marry or grow old with. It varied in each relationship and usually both parties felt the same way. It was very rare to find a pair where one would feel platonic and the other romantic.

Shoyo decided he didn't want to date until he was in high school, so he put finding his soulmate on hold until he felt ready.

He met a few people that had theirs continue to grow as the couple got older, revealing new memories, in a way. The sad part was when a person's soul mark disappeared, revealing that they had passed away. Only a few people were able to keep there soul mark after one passed, these people were called Forever Souls.

Only 4% of the population had strong enough connections to their soulmates that the moment the second person was born, they would both get their marks.

Forever Souls would only ever have a romantic connection, finding a pair was extremely rare.

After years of searching, he was 0 for 1452.

During his 3rd year of middle school he finally had enough players to take his volleyball team to an actual match. He was happy to play with his friends after working hard for 3 years...but it was over within 30 minutes, the other team had been too strong.

One player in particular. Tobio Kageyama, the King of the Court. He was the setter from the opposing team. He was fast, powerful, amazing... everything Shoyo wanted to be.

And he was tall, which irritated Shoyo even more...but there was a familiar warmth that he felt during the tournament. Would he feel that again if he met this King and defeated him?

One more year passed by and Shoyo was able to apply for Karasuno High, where the Tiny Giant had gone to school. He would finally have teammates, a real setter and reach his goal of going to Nationals.

(Present)

Hinata opened the doors to the gym at Karasuno high and leaped in.

"W-what are you doing here?!"