Chapter 1: Home For The Holidays

The house wall filled with the joyous and contagious laughter of Kara Danvers as Barry stepped through the doorway. He relaxed a little, taking in the comfortable aura this place let off, and he soon found himself in the kitchen with Kara, and a baby girl. "Barr, look at Alura, she just said her first word. Say it again!" Kara squealed in excitement.

Barry let a tear drop as he watches the child mutter mommy yet again. "Barry, are you alright?" The Kryptonian asked with worry, interlacing his fingers with hers once she saw the expression on his features.

"I'm alright, its just- I love her." Barry smiled, wiping away the tears from his eyes. He gave Kara a tight hug, and released a shaky breath, but he was still confused by all of this.

"Did you get it?" She asked, and Barry was confused, but he suddenly felt weight in his hand and he placed the bag of cans on the counter and smiled. "How do you mistake tomato soup for spaghetti sauce?" This cracked her up, and she said that she would not let this go, not even after a few more good laughs. "Could you go back for me? Please?"

"I'll be back in a flash." He said, turning to run but there was nothing, no lightning,  no rush of wind. "Something is wrong, I dont have my powers."

Kara furrowed her eyebrows. "Barr, you dont have you powers anymore, remember?" Kara looked worried. "You took the car to the store."

"Just messing with you!" Barry attempted to feign messing with her and kara simply dismissed his weirdness.

"Now..." Kara was pursing her lips, as she handed him the bag filled with cans. "Would you kindly fix this little mistake of yours?"

"Consider the job done, ma'am." After he had received the bag, Barry saluted to his wife playfully. A smile was put on her face, as he intended.

"It better be, or else you will have to eat tomato-soup-soaked spaghetti."

"Sounds delicious."

"No it does not!"

After starting the car, he looked around, finally realizing that something was not right. He got out of the car, and before his very eyes the surrounding landscape was seemingly peeling away, replaced with his childhood home. "Barry," he turned, seeing the speedforce manifestation of his mother smile at him. "Come with me."

...

The months went by agonizingly slow, each day harder than the last. Each moment flying over to Central City to help the heroes with a threat and seeing the Flash's statue makes her break down. She feels like her heart stops beating, and she cant breath, like another shard of her soul shatters. "The Scarlet Speedster... He came in a flash, and he left us in a flash of lightning." Kara sat at that monument every day, reading the plaque below it, she would close her eyes and the wind would brush through her hair the way Barry had always done.

She never acknowledged the constant rush of souls around the statue, holding a candle to the fallen hero, she simply cried in silence, wishing he was still alive and with her. The sky started to darken, from light yellow and wine red with a hint of pale blue, to indigo and navy blue with sprinkles of white. Thats when she made her way to the Hall of Justice to look over the tattered piece of his Flash suit.

Her eyelids were becoming heavy, but she refused to rest, her fingers trembled as she rubbed the flash ring she wore on  her finger in memory of him. "Kara..." She heard Alex say softly from behind her, but she didn't move a muscle. "It's late, its time to come home." They had gone through this routine a thousand times, and would likely go through it a thousand more. "Its okay, its okay." She whispered into the Kryptonian's ear, rubbing her back softly as she wrapped her arms around her in a comforting motion. They sat there for another hour, Kara softly crying into her sisters shoulder, her hand breaking away pieces of the concrete ground from her raw strength.