Chapter 5: Together We Go

Thunder rolled in the dark grey skies of National City, shaking the DEO slightly. The lights flickered for a moment, and the monitors Alex Danvers had been surveying for almost an hour dimmed.

This day had been a particularly dreary one. Maybe it was because of the thunder or maybe it was the constant looming threat that was Brainiac's ship. Alex would not get to sit in sorrow for much longer though, because Barry came charging in, demanding she turn to the news channel. "Just do it." He said seriously.

She obliged, pulling up the news onto the monitors and her eyes widened at the story that was being covered. "This morning we were visited by a peculiar craft in the sky that has not left us since. And now, we have a message from this vessel's inhabitant." The woman said before a video appeared, with the coluan sitting idly on his throne inside of his ship.

He raised his head, finally showing his face to the world for the first time. "So lost you are, beings of Earth.  You simply fail to understand that the needs of your planet outway the needs of the people. For the sake of your planet's survival, I must preserve it before it can be destroyed. You have one hour." With that, the video flickered away leaving everyone speechless as to the events what were to transpire.

Barry left in search for Kara, he hadn't seen her for the better part of an hour and was getting concerned. As Barry turned the corner in the DEO looking for Kara, he heard the faint cries and sniffles coming from the Kryptonian in a nearby room and he was there in a flash.

He let loose a round of knocks on the door, he waited a few moments and there was no answer. He turned to doorknob and sighed in relief when he found it was unlocked. He needed to find Kara, so he just continued forward into the room and before long he was making his way towards the girl of steel. Kara seemingly didn't hear his footsteps as she continued to stare down at the ground, wiping away a few tears that were quickly replaced.  "Hey." He said softly as he took a seat next to her.

Kara suddenly moved quickly, pulling him against her and wrapping him in a tight hug which he eagerly returned. They stayed like that for a while, enjoying the embrace in complete silence with only the distant chatter of the DEO making itself known. Finally they broke apart to look at each other, the forced smile she was giving him worrying him. "Hey.. Are you okay?" He said softly.

"I cant believe this is it.." She said quietly, her voice cracking at the words as she spoke them. Her eyes began to swell with tears and she quickly wrapped him in another hug, closing her eyes as she held him close.

"It's okay. It's not over, we are not giving up. We're taking the fight to Brainiac, I promise." He spoke reassuringly, feeling a sudden spurt of worry at the complete lack of response. "Kara..?"

"I'm pregnant." She said softly, tightening her grip on the speedster. They continued to embrace one another for a moment longer, neither of them wanting to let the other go until finally Barry pulled away to look at her.

He wasn't sure what he was going to say to her. That seemed to be a recurring theme in his life, not knowing what to say. But as he continued to stare into her eyes, he knew what he needed to say. He cupped her cheeks softly and pressed his lips against her, showing her how much he loved her. "I love you Kara Zor-El. Now and forever."

Kara reached forward and intertwined her fingers with his. "I love you Barry." She leaned forward and reconnected the embrace, smiling into the kiss. Her soft lips tasted amazing as always, and he completely lost himself in the kiss, his hands coaxing her closer against him as he felt her press softly against him. He pulled away, his eyes opening to find themselves staring back into her affectionate gaze.

He stared deeply into her eyes that flooded with tears of happiness, and he reached out with his hand to cradle her cheek, softly brushing his thumb against her skin to swipe away a stray tear streaming down her face. He leaned forward yet again, pressing his lips against hers.

When they broke apart, she saw that flash of lightning in his eyes and she knew. She knew he wasn't giving up, and neither was she. They were going to save Earth, save Nia, and rescue Brainy from that monster.