The Third Trial

"So where to next?" Jasper stared at the map the Draconi had given us. We'd traveled to the town I had caught the Draconian spy at only to find it overrun with orcs, demons, and foul creatures. I told Jasper to follow my lead and began to sneak up on them and kill them one by one, but after my first kill Jasper cheered. Loudly. The entire town found us and I fought them off until I found an opening to escape from. I grabbed Jasper's arm and ran through them until we came upon a tall hill. We jumped into the bushes and laid low as the horde passed us and went over the hill. We had doubled back to the tavern now that the town was empty and refilled our supply bags and flasks. 

"I'm not sure. Aren't you supposed to lead me to the next gods' test?" 

"Oh yeah!" Jasper snapped his fingers. "I'd nearly forgotten!" He scratched his head. He hummed as he bent over the map again. I took my sword out of it's sheath and was practicing some mana induced moves Jasper had taught me before we left the Draconi. I couldn't produce as I had before. 

"Remember, it's your belief in us that brings you mana. Am I real?" Jasper's voice carried on. 

"Yes." 

"Is magic real?"

"Yes." Each syllable came with a blow to an imaginary enemy.

"Do you have a soul?"

"Yes." I struck a pole to my right and then dodged an imaginary blow.

"Do you have a sword?"

"Yes."

"Do you trust your sword?"

"Yes." The orange and teal lights around my sword began to glow brighter.

"Do you trust yourself?"

"Yes." 

"Then out with it." Jasper ordered. I struck the air but a strong ray of light blasted from it, cutting a table in half. "Good job!" Jasper clapped while I retook my original stance. "Why don't you come over here for a second?" 

"Just tell me where we need to go next." I ordered him while I began my practice shots again. Sweat beaded down my forehead. It took a lot out of me to create that beam of light. 

"We should head to Celeste's City, don't  you think?" 

"Is that where the next trial will be?"

"Mmm...maybe." Jasper hummed. 

"I don't like the sound of that. Do you know who the next trial is from?"

"Mmm, yes." Jasper grimaced a little. 

"Then can't you just teleport us to him?"

"How do you know it's a guy?" Jasper's perplexed look made me sigh in annoyance. 

"Because I already did Josephine's Trial and if it was Jacqueline's turn, we would have never left the Underworld!" I explained my logic to him and then pressed on, "Is there a reason you're not using your godly powers?"

"Uhh..no." Jasper shrugged. "I just feel like playing mortal a bit." He laughed and I swung my sword at him. He dodged. Then we heard the sound of thundering feet. 

"They're back." We said in unison and we grabbed our packs and ran in the direction of Celeste's City. 

It was a two month journey on foot. We scraped by with killing small packs of demons and evil tribes while hiding from main forces and overrun towns. We stole supplies when we could get away with it and hunted rabbits and foxes for food. Deer took to much time to skin and let dry. We couldn't fish in the rivers. It seemed all the fish had gone. In the meantime, Jasper taught me how to use the magical properties of the sword and slowly my mana came back to me. I felt different with it. I understood it better and I urged myself to use it sparingly and wisely. Jasper had stolen a sword and he fought enemies with me while refusing to use his godly powers. I knew something was up, but I didn't dare ask again.